• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolest Clock Ever

Nihon_Ni

真喜志友幸
When I was in second grade Santa brought me a blue Timex wrist watch. I've had a fetish for timepieces ever since. It's hard to admit, but I wore a Swatch when I was in college. Don't judge, that was my artsy phase. And it was the '80s! I've worn a variety of watches since then, until I finally bought a nice chronograph about 10 years ago, and aside from my last tour in Iraq, I've worn it daily since then.

Shortly after we moved back from Japan in 2011 I joined the local Commemorative Air Force unit, where I made friends with Andrey. Andrey and I are the same age, and he immigrated from Russia a few years before I met him. At the time, his girlfriend, Oxana, still lived in Moscow and would visit him every few months. (Oxana immigrated last summer and they were married shortly thereafter.)

A few years ago for my birthday, Andrey and Oxana gave me a replica wall clock of an АЧС-1 Soviet military aircraft clock. Oxana hand carried it from Moscow on a trip to visit Andrey. It's been hanging in my workshop ever since. The АЧС-1 was the standard timepiece in every Soviet airplane and helo since the 50s.

full

If you've browsed my gallery, you know I'm building an airplane. Even though I haven't posted a recent picture in a long time, I'm still working on it, and it's getting closer to flying everyday. We named the airplane The Time Machine before we drove the first rivet and the name has stuck. When a fellow pilot asked me how a propeller-driven airplane could be considered a time machine, I asked him is he ever tried driving to Ohio on a holiday weekend. Point taken!

full

Last summer I attended the annual Experimental Aviation Association convention in Oshkosh, WI (a usual summer routine), and while I was there I picked out an avionics package for my plane. The manufacturer gave me full-size templates of the products, and I brought them home to begin planning my instrument panel.

Since we've named the airplane The Time Machine, I decided it needed a cool clock to go in it. The АЧС-1 wall clock prompted an idea to find a genuine artifact and mount it in the airplane. I made a full-scale paper template, and test fit it in the panel. Although the clock is bigger and heavier than modern day alternatives, I realized I had room for it on my panel and I loved the idea of adding a piece of history to a brand-new airplane.

full

Andrey's Dad used to work at the MiG factory, and he has one of these clocks at home. Andrey used to take his clock along when he went on driving trips with his Dad. I am now teaching Andrey to fly in his own airplane.

full

Inspired by Andrey's clock, I started searching eBay for a clock of my own, but Andrey scared me off that idea because he said most of them came from abandoned aircraft near Chernobyl, Ukraine and were probably radioactive. Little did I know, although there was some truth to that warning, it was mostly a ploy to allow Oxana time to go to Moscow and bring a clock back for an early birthday present.

full

full

full

full

full

This clock is what vintage airplane guys call "new old stock," meaning that it's vintage, but has never been used. In Dec 1990, when Andrey and I were lieutenants in opposing forces in the closing days of the Cold War, it was manufactured and put in a warehouse in Moscow. There it patiently waited for the next 26 years to be adopted; for someone to build an airplane around it. Oxana bought it in Moscow and hand carried it back to Virginia on a trip home a few weeks ago.

full

What would have seemed like an impossible friendship in 1990, when I was in flight school learning to fight against the Soviet Union, and Andrey was in the Soviet Army learning to fight against America, will now be commemorated by a Soviet clock in a hand-made American airplane. Former enemies, now friends, brought together by our mutual love of aviation.

Last edited:
What a great story and pretty cool clock! I really enjoyed the read and I think it's amazing that you're building your own plane. I hope you get it flying soon, I wish I was able to learn. It's great to have friends like that!!

What a great story and pretty cool clock! I really enjoyed the read and I think it's amazing that you're building your own plane. I hope you get it flying soon, I wish I was able to learn. It's great to have friends like that!!

Don't tell anyone I said this, but it's easier than you think. You should go get your license!!

Don't tell anyone I said this, but it's easier than you think. You should go get your license!!
Hey now, she has enough expensive hobbies!

Amazing story and great looking piece of history. Would love to see more updated pics of your plane.

An amazing story that just goes to show that sometimes the best of acquaintances are forged in the face of conflict.

Edit for Clarity

Very cool story. Spent a good 24 years of my career around Airplanes and Jets. Love that clock!

Thanks for sharing such a fascinating story about the clock, the people who gave it to you. I remember the day I soloed like it was yesterday, three touch and goes around the pattern at WRI! Good luck with the build and safe flying.

Excellent story and friendship! I soloed in 1985 and owned a early 172M for many years. On many occasion I considered buying a kit plane, I envy you! I sadly gave up my plane because life got in the way and I was not flying enough anymore; It broke my heart seeing a plane waste away. I have only flown a couple times in the past 20 years when I got checked out in a DA20 to rent, hoping to get back into the hobby.... But I didn't pursue it further. Sometimes I miss flying terribly, but just stick to my models now. :)

Have fun with that plane and congratulations. Hope to hear some good maiden flight stories!

That's incredible, and one hell of a story to boot. What kind of plane are you building? I once thought about getting my license, but the only local flight instructor was shut down for using cheap 87 octane for his planes. I suppose that's a no no.

.....the only local flight instructor was shut down for using cheap 87 octane for his planes. I suppose that's a no no.
Off subject: Actually it's not in all cases. I got an STC for my aircraft that allowed me to run a certain type of auto fuel, although I only tried it once. STC stands for Supplemental Type Certificates. A supplemental type certificate can be issued if you receive FAA approval to modify your aircraft from its original design. A lot of testing and qualifications go into it. Your guy probably never got the STC for his aircraft, or maybe it didn't qualify for one so he couldn't.

Last edited:
Would love to see more updated pics of your plane.

This is the model I'm building:

full

Mine is still under construction in the basement. The tail and wings are done, and the fuselage is almost done. I'm about to start wiring all the electrical equipment, hang the motor, and install the avionics.

full

full

full

Last edited: