• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Couple of ?s Re: Punta Cana,DR

Captain Leafheart

Aroused member (still)
My friend "search" didn't turn this up but I seem to recall reading here that it's best to bring your own smokes into the country? Theirs are for export only?
The Habanos there are most likely fakes but aren't there DR cigars to be had (though overpriced)?
It's our first time going there and first time at an "all inclusive".
Can anyone reccommend how much cash to bring along?
How far in advance before our flight back home should we be at the airport?
Any other tips and advice is greatly appreciated by these newbies!

Ummm weird! Hi! When are ya going? I just posted a little post as well about this. I searched punta Cana and saw some old posts confirming your questions on the smokes.

My friend "search" didn't turn this up but I seem to recall reading here that it's best to bring your own smokes into the country? Theirs are for export only?
The Habanos there are most likely fakes but aren't there DR cigars to be had (though overpriced)?
It's our first time going there and first time at an "all inclusive".
Can anyone reccommend how much cash to bring along?
How far in advance before our flight back home should we be at the airport?
Any other tips and advice is greatly appreciated by these newbies!

Hey man,
Just got back and yes on the ISOM cigars, fake. I did do a tour with a nice walk in at the end and they had more than just their brand including what they called habanos. I just didn't trust it let alone care to find out at that price. But the smokes on the beach we fake, our resort had a tasting pool side one day, that was nice, but they all ran about 35 a fiver. They resort also had a nice walk in, but at $27 for a average fuente was not my idea of fun. I brought a lot with me and smoked all mine while on the trip. I brought less than $200 cash, used for tips, cigars (did buy a fiver at some tours), and other souvierners. I will say of the local small shops I toured, not much strength, but great flavor. As far as your flight, did you book through an agency? They should be able to tell you that. Only advice I have is to not trust anyone at the airport that is going to help you with your bags, just hold on to them, even if they are saying they are with so and so to help you, just take it. Also, imodium ad.....and don't pack your fav cutter or lighter, just in case. Lastly, large and small zip lock bags. For some reason, my small bottle or cologn did not like the air pressure while flying and leaked all over, luckly it was in a zip lock, and on the way back a small bottle of rum did the same thing. If I think of anything else I'll let ya know. Pm me if you have anything specific.
B

Thanks very much for the tips! Hope you had a great time. We just booked by ourselves on-line.
My buddy says he has a TSA approved holder for gas lighters, but I don't mind using matches if I have to. Are punches or cutters allowed on flights? Thanks again!

Thanks very much for the tips! Hope you had a great time. We just booked by ourselves on-line.
My buddy says he has a TSA approved holder for gas lighters, but I don't mind using matches if I have to. Are punches or cutters allowed on flights? Thanks again!

I have always carried my cutter on flights, as long as there is no knife attachment. But I just did not bring Lighter so it wouldn't walk away. But I think they are allowed to fly with, but that is leaving the us. Flying out of DR had a lot a lot more restrictions. For example, no footballs in your carry on. That's right, footballs. Lol, anyways, also, do not buy rum at the duty free when you re leaving. They will not let you take it on the plane period, even after the security checkpoint. Check it before you leave the hotel.

Yeah...I've read that DR airport security cleans you out of toiletries and duty-frees pull a switcheroo when leaving the country. Thanks!

i haven't been in a while but yeah you are better off bringing your own sticks. i took my lighter in the TSA approved carry but i still took a cheap lighter for fear of it walking away at airport or hotel.  My hotel had a "cigar store" with "habanos" but they were all fake they even had fake LFD, they would just play with the D part and called them La Flor Dominican cigar. I was at an all inclusive so only took tipping money and just becare for the most part the all inclusive you dont need to tip but some of the younger pushy worker expect it. Those i told to take a long walk into the ocean, the others i tipped extra to cover the bad rep the first were giving them.

Every where that i could find real LFD and Fuente the price was outrageous due to the export rules they have. I spoke to one shop worker who told me that they order all their Fuente products from Florida and have to have it shipped to them so it cost them more. An opus XXX was 30$ at the shop that i went to.