• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Crazy at Specs

Kxthor911

Well over the past couple of years I have been experimenting in different types of beers. I have discovered that I enjoy a few different styles and sours being a favorite already. I also snagged a couple of bottles of saint arnolds pumpkinator which is somewhat of a small batch beer, pretty good stuff. I have been told it ages well. Picture to follow.

3BA83154-EF33-41CE-AB7B-30DB5D221A6E_zpsoifsajjg.jpg

mmm...Duchesse is one of my favorites. 

Here are some other ideas for ya: http://www.worldbeerawards.com/2014/sour-beer.html

There's a Vanderghinste Oud Bruin from the same brewery as the Bellegems Bruin you have. The Oud Bruin is a good tart, acidic brown. The Bellegems is classified as a Flanders Red Ale on Untapped, fyi. There's also Oude Beersel Oude Geuze, another good sour that's won some awards.

Have fun!

Thanks for your ideas sir. I live in a small town so often have to shop for beers when I'm away from home. What is your handle on untapped? I'm going to look into the Vanderghinste that you suggested after I enjoy this other one by that company. If you have any other must try's let me know and I will see if I can find a couple.

You can't go wrong with any Belgian, imo. :)

Stick with any Flanders style if you like the tart/sours. You can also go Geuze or Lambic for some funky flavors.Mort Subite is a common favorite.

My personal favorite is Leffe Bruin as my daily goto beer.They also make a Christmas and Royal that are very tasty. Grimbergen Bruin also has a tart/vinegar taste that I enjoy. Carolus Classic is one of the most flavorable beers I've had. I use it to make my Flemish stew and it always turns out rich and delicious. If you're following a recipe, skip most of the water/stock and just use the Carolus for all of the liquid. It comes out so rich. Serve over fries. :)

If you want to go dark/strong, then get St. Bernardus Abt 12 or Westmalle Dubbel. The Abt 12 is the closest you'll get to the best beer in the world, Westvleteren 12. Technically,it's what Westvleteren used to be prior to 1992. St. Bernardus also makes a Christmas Ale that's delicious, but harder to find.

Gordon Christmas Ale is one of my favorites of the season. It tastes like the yummy burnt syrupy edges of pancakes to me. Weird, I know, but that's what I get. 

So many choices, so little time. My handle on unTapped is the same as on here. Enjoy!

Oh, forgot to add that the beer temperature makes a big difference. So many more flavors once the beers warm up to room temp and breathe in a glass. Drinking out of the bottle is just wrong. Most beers will have a serving temp on them.

JHolmes763 said:
Oh, forgot to add that the beer temperature makes a big difference. So many more flavors once the beers warm up to room temp and breathe in a glass. Drinking out of the bottle is just wrong. Most beers will have a serving temp on them.
I know that about breathing in the glass, and need to revisit the room temp part. German friend of mine told me about the room temp thirty years ago, but I didn't get into it.

Amazing how much better a beer is with a head. If served a giant cerveza on tap, I will pour half into another glass to get a head when I pour,

Gonna do the room temp a trial in the next few days.

Cellar temp is probably more accurate, depending on how warm your room is. :)

JHolmes763 said:
Cellar temp is probably more accurate, depending on how warm your room is. :)
here in SC my room is 68 in winter, 76 in summer.

Could stick them in the wineadors but they are slam full of cigars. Not to worry, hadn't gotten around to it yet.

I'm drinking an Oak Aged Quad right now and it says to enjoy at 12 - 18C (53 - 64F). 

52° - 58° seems to be the sweet spot for many beers I like. Unless I'm going for something refreshing like a Stella. Then I want it ice cold.

I wouldn't know what a Westy 12 taste like. :laugh:

I'm just busting your balls! :)

I actually forgot all about it until I came across this thread.

If you like sour beers...I've found my favorite. It's from a little brewery that just opened about 3 miles from my house and only has local sales so far.

Texian Brewery's Charlie Foxtrot...it's an Imperial Berliner Weisse. So tart and so good...a few Specs locations have started carrying it

I have no clue on sour beers, but have tried warmer temps and absolutely loving it.

I tend towards imperial stouts, baltic porters and similar.

I'm drinking the right at 55 degrees and wow, fullest, best flavors ever.