• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban Cigar Dilemma - Which Shall I Choose?

John Awake

Hi everyone,

I am in a unique position and thought I would join this forum for some expert advice.
My name is John and I live in Uruguay South America (moved from Indiana to here). I have smoked cigars in the past and enjoy them. I have never tried a Cuban cigar nor had the chance but I am aware of the fame surrounding them.
I have just acquired three different Cuban cigars from a friend who is originally from Canada and obtained the cigars legally and brought them to Uruguay.
My dilemma is this...My wife and I are having a party Saturday and I am going to smoke one of my new Cubans and, of course, locking the rest away in my humidor for who knows how long until the next special occasion. Knowing little about cigars and nothing about Cuban cigars, I would like to list what I have and ask all of you for your opinion as to which one I should choose for Saturday and why.
I will say Thank You in advance. I really appreciate any suggestions or knowledge on this topic.

Here is what I have....
1. Open Eagle / Monte Cristo Habana
2. Cohiba / Habana Cuba
3. Adicion Limitada / Monte Cristo Habana

Thank you again guys. I will check back often and hopefully have some answers before Saturday :)

Take care,
John

Hello and welcome aboard. I'm honestly not trying to be snarky but I never really understand posts like this. They always seem like humble-brag posts of "look what I have, aren't I cool?" I'm not smoking them, you are, so why should I care what you smoke?

If you've never had any of them, does it matter which one you light up? What I may feel about those cigars should in no way dictate how you will or won't feel. Which ever one you smoke, you may find (as I do in social settings as opposed to being by myself) that the cigar (or wine, or beer, or liquor, or food, etc) will likely take a backseat to the party and the company. The cigar should add to the enjoyment, not *be* the enjoyment.

Grab one of them and smoke it. Only you will know whether it's everything it's cracked up to be or not.

Again, I'm really not trying to be mean spirited here or run you off. These are just my thoughts on the matter. As an aside, Uruguay is pretty high on my list of travel destinations. The country looks beautiful and flies a bit under the radar I think when people plan trips.

The Cloud knows his stuff. Being a Cuban or not, each one of us have individual taste buds so your experience is yours alone. If you find personally that it matches your expected potential, so much the better for you. Every different vitola will be that, different. That is how we learn. Enjoy the experience, share with us if you care to. We are not beyond learning, and appreciating.

You may be one of those rare people who’s tastes don’t mesh with Cuban tobacco. Trying is the only way you know.

Last edited:
His first post is about illegal cigars. Is this what we've come to? If this is kinder and gentler, I'm not so sure.

Doc

Doc - I don't know about you, but I'm going to be smoking a Gurkha Royal Courtesan. Been debating whether or not to open this box, but figured I probably should.

For those who don't know, Gurkha Cigars created this tour de force with the finest care and ingredients and at $1 million apiece it tops the list of most expensive cigars in the world. Each hand-rolled cigar is infused with the delectable Remy Martin Black Pearl Louis XIII, which sells for $165k a bottle. To ensure perfect production quality, only selected hand rollers are permitted to lever the cigars. In addition, all the artisans are blindfolded to heighten their senses so that their movements are natural with minimal distractions.

The Royal Courtesan cigar is filled with rare Himalayan tobacco that has been watered only with Fiji water. Each piece is wrapped in gold leaf and the band is embellished with diamonds totaling up to five carats.

I'll let you guys know how it is.

Please install the puking emoji on the forum for when people mention Gurkha's please

He lives in Uruguay, so I'm assuming Cuban cigars are legal there. If one wants to argue that his US citizenship still forbids it...well, okay.

Doc - I don't know about you, but I'm going to be smoking a Gurkha Royal Courtesan. Been debating whether or not to open this box, but figured I probably should.

For those who don't know, Gurkha Cigars created this tour de force with the finest care and ingredients and at $1 million apiece it tops the list of most expensive cigars in the world. Each hand-rolled cigar is infused with the delectable Remy Martin Black Pearl Louis XIII, which sells for $165k a bottle. To ensure perfect production quality, only selected hand rollers are permitted to lever the cigars. In addition, all the artisans are blindfolded to heighten their senses so that their movements are natural with minimal distractions.

The Royal Courtesan cigar is filled with rare Himalayan tobacco that has been watered only with Fiji water. Each piece is wrapped in gold leaf and the band is embellished with diamonds totaling up to five carats.

I'll let you guys know how it is.

????????

Wowza! "They always seem like humble-brag posts of "look what I have, aren't I cool?" I'm not smoking them, you are, so why should I care what you smoke?" and "His first post is about illegal cigars. Is this what we've come to? If this is kinder and gentler, I'm not so sure."

"The Internets; Friendliest Cigar Community" ... mmmm ???

I am a retired U.S. Merchant Marine living abroad with my wife. We live in Uruguay, as I wrote, where Cuban cigars as well as Cannabis are legal as they should be world wide. I came here, as advertised, to ask a simple question politely to people a thought might be able to give me some pointers. What I got instead was a very trolly idiotic God Like Productions experience. If it weren't for the above quotes, I would have just said thanks and probably kept this account. As it is, I am deleting this account today and this is my last post to you folks.

Why have my countrymen become so....snarky? Is that the made up word now for rude?

I did find a Cuban Cigar forum. Maybe someone there actually knows something smart to say about my honest question.

Sincerely,
John Mitchell
US Navy Veteran
US Merchant Marine Ret.

Wowza! "They always seem like humble-brag posts of "look what I have, aren't I cool?" I'm not smoking them, you are, so why should I care what you smoke?" and "His first post is about illegal cigars. Is this what we've come to? If this is kinder and gentler, I'm not so sure."

"The Internets; Friendliest Cigar Community" ... mmmm ???

I am a retired U.S. Merchant Marine living abroad with my wife. We live in Uruguay, as I wrote, where Cuban cigars as well as Cannabis are legal as they should be world wide. I came here, as advertised, to ask a simple question politely to people a thought might be able to give me some pointers. What I got instead was a very trolly idiotic God Like Productions experience. If it weren't for the above quotes, I would have just said thanks and probably kept this account. As it is, I am deleting this account today and this is my last post to you folks.

Why have my countrymen become so....snarky? Is that the made up word now for rude?

I did find a Cuban Cigar forum. Maybe someone there actually knows something smart to say about my honest question.

Sincerely,
John Mitchell
US Navy Veteran
US Merchant Marine Ret.

Didn't you develop a thick skin in the Navy? Anyway don't get sand in your vaj over these guys busting your chops.

To answer your question, none of the three seem all that appealing to me, but out of the three choices. I vote #3 first. #2 second, and #1 third.

That was a kind response. Have you not seen how others were greeted for asking thier 1st question about an illegal product? There’s an old saying here at CP. Read more, post less. You are the only one to get off on the wrong foot, if you will. At least you didn’t ask us to authenticate them for you.

Stick around. Read, there’s a wealth of knowledge here. Yes, you will likely get a more direct response to your question on a Cuban Cigar forum. As for your question....
In my opinion:

2)
3)
1)

As Cohiba is the king, though there are a handful of folks which their tastes don’t mesh well with the flavor profile.

You may come off to others at the party as a show off smoking a Cohiba though. A Montecristo open is a solid beginners cigar, or a change of pace smoke for a seasoned smoker. You wouldn’t likely fully appreciate the edicion Limitada monte.

Neither of these ads a great 1st smoke choice. I would have suggested a Hoyo de Monterrey epicure no.2 or a Partagas Serie D no.4.

For someone who includes thier rank to close out a Internet forum post response, you would think you could take a little ball bustin.

I am deleting this account today and this is my last post to you folks.

Babuy......

Still seems like a "look at me" first post. At least to me.

How different it would have been if you'd have posted "....I have these three cigars, let me do a little review on them for you guys and let's discuss how they tasted...".

You missed a good opportunity, to be sure.