• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CUBAN SANDWICH

mel

just saw an add for them says made by romeo y juleta anybody try them b4?

machine made short filler Dominican I think.

Now if you're talking Cuban "Sandwiches" then they are not short filler and they are made by hand. LMAO

Now Im hungry!! Whos got the bread!! How about a box pass of cuban sanwhiches...ahhh... maybe not...... especially in this heat!!!

I can honestly tell ya, I don't think I would want to be a part of a sandwich pass, bleck - And Im a new guy here to boot.
As for the ISOM, cuban thing.
I have not yet tried any type so I am unqualified in this arena. Some may call that a virgin. It's just a little tough to think of it that way. Ego pride whatever.
Latter on guys..

Help is on the way Mike!!! I am going to warn you though. HIDE YOUR CREDIT CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I finally had a "Cuban sandwich" last week when I visited Miami. I went to the Versailles in Little Havana and it was wonderful. Unfortunately, I am now addicted to the tiny sweet expressos that everyone drinks in Miami.

While at the Versailles I saw the US Secretary of Commerce, along with his entourage of Secret Service body guards. I also recognized Dr. Ferdie Pachenco, Mohammed Ali's ex-fight doctor and biographer. He and his wife lives in Miami.

(I also saw Madonna and Sly Stallone's house in Coconut Grove!) Yeah, I'm ready to move!!!

Sam

Well, I finally had a "Cuban sandwich" last week when I visited Miami. I went to the Versailles restaurant in Little Havana and it was wonderful. Unfortunately, I am now addicted to the tiny sweet expressos that everyone drinks in Miami.

While at the Versailles I saw the US Secretary of Commerce, along with his entourage of Secret Service body guards. I also recognized Dr. Ferdie Pachenco, Mohammed Ali's ex-fight doctor and biographer. He and his wife lives in Miami.

(I also saw Madonna and Sly Stallone's house in Coconut Grove!) Yeah, I'm ready to move!!!

Sam

MMMM....the base I am stationed at in Key West makes a Cuban beakfast sandwhich...It starts out the size of a sub, then by the time it is done cooking has been pressed to the thickness of a sandwhich...Add to that a Con Leche, you are good to go till 1 PM om cafeine and carbs...
I hear ya on Miami though...after this gig is up in 3 years, if I can't stay here I want to go to Miami to be stationed. Also would consider Tampa. :thumbs:

There is a large Cuban population in the Keys. And a few really good restaurants. I love going to Pepe's down on Mallory Sq...thats the goods my freind...

Emo

Original Cuban Sandwich

Recipe courtesy Cuban Sandwiches To Go, Orlando Florida

1 loaf Cuban bread
1-ounce regular mustard
4 dill pickles
5 slices boiled ham or Virginia ham
2 slices roast pork
1 slice imported Swiss cheese
1-ounce butter
Cut Cuban bread to desired size, common size is 7 inches. Next, slice open the bread down the middle. On the topside of the bread spread 1-ounce of mustard, evenly across. Then place 4 pickles on top of the mustard. You then place 1 slice of Swiss cheese on top of the pickles. Slice ham to desired thickness, recommended size is 1 1/2 ounces per slice, the thinner the better. Now fold each slice of ham in half and place evenly on bottom of bread. On top of the ham, place slices of roast pork, 1 1/2 ounces per slice. You then join both halves of the sandwich. You are now ready to grill your Cuban sandwich.

Use a sandwich grill if you have one, a waffle iron if not. Spread butter on top of the bread evenly. Close the grill, smashing the sandwich. Leave sandwich in the grill until top of bread turns to a golden brown, and top is crisp. Approximate time is 4 to 6 minutes. After the sandwich is crispy and the cheese has melted, remove the sandwich carefully and slice it diagonally, from corner to corner. DO NOT USE A MICROWAVE OVEN!

Yield: 1 serving
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes

For anyone that wanted to know...LOL :D

cuban bread??? oh great, just one more contraband item i have to worry about! :sign:

Dammit! I haven't even tried the coffee yet! :sign:

Wow does this bring back some memories. When I was a kid we use to go to a bakery in Key West called Mollina's. I believe it was located on White Street. Don't know if its still there. I delivered papers at 4 am in the morning and when you went by the bakery the smell of fresh cooked cuban bread was overwhelming. My brother and I use to steal a stick of butter from the house and take with us on our route, then, buy a hot loaf when we were done and feast.

Hey Emo.... you eat any bollos? I think I spelled it right. How about some Black beans, rice, and picadilla?

I now have the pleasure of being able to enjoy some of the best Mexican food around in Texas but unfortunatly I was too young to know what I had when I lived in Key West.

Black Beans and Rice are a staple for me...I add pica to probably 1/3 of all food I eat...I'll have to look next time I go down to White St and see if Molina's is still there. What intersection is it near? My favorite Cuban Cuisine is to go down to Pepe's on Mallory Sq...

Emo

I believe the bakery was on the corner of White and Virgina st. I believe the side street went down past a park towards the Jr high school "Hoarce O' Bryant".

I lived in two different houses when I was down there. One was at 725 White street. Lived there for about 10 years before moving up town. That house was on the corner of Flagler and 17th street. Housed actually faced 17th St.

Wow, I'm re-living my childhood here.

I grew up in South Florida and have had my share of Cuban Sandwiches I love em'. Now I'm in Texas and can't get em' ??? :( :angry: The recipe Beast gave is about on but it's one of those things that won't taste right unless an old Cuban lady prepares it.

btw
don't forget the plantain chips on the side <drool> :love: :love: