• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cutters.

wilddul

Need a good straight cutter for $50 or under.
Is the XI2 a good choice?

Thx

The Xi2 is a great cutter. It is sturdy and efficient.

I have a Xikar and a Palio. The Xikar feels better made, and cuts very well...but I can't fault the cut from the Palio. Either should serve you very well.

I have a Xikar and a Palio. The Xikar feels better made, and cuts very well...but I can't fault the cut from the Palio. Either should serve you very well.

The Palios from 10 years ago were the best, before they were sold; best cutter I ever had. I don't think they are even made in the US anymore. Isn't that the same with Xikar now a days too?

Both are still good, I have old and new Palios and Xikars. They all work without issue. The new ones just don't seem to stay as sharp, but this after a few years use. Xikar, Palio, and Lotus are all great cutters and should last a few years of daily use. Just find the one that fits best in your hand and enjoy!

I have both. I've been using my Xikar Xi for over ten years with no issues. I bought the Palio last year when I was away from home, and it's been my go-to "circumcision" cutter for now just because it is sitting out by the dry box. You'd do well with either, IMO.

No. No. No.

Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter.

CC-30PERFECTSIL-1200__74277.1331934689.1280.1280__10032.1563553730.jpg

Nothing mentioned here... or in all my travels, compares. I have the silver carbon fiber one above. They're $25 and have a bulletproof Lifetime Warranty.

They're fantastic.

Reactions: RSD
Worth mentioning that no matter what cutter you end up with, they will get gunked up (technical term, lol) with tobacco oils eventually. Lots of people think their cutters are 'dull' but you'd have to cut bales of tobacco to take the edge off most quality cutters. An alcohol wipe or some alcohol on a paper towel will clean the blades right up and restore smooth operation. You will not believe the difference..!!

Worth mentioning that no matter what cutter you end up with, they will get gunked up (technical term, lol) with tobacco oils eventually. Lots of people think their cutters are 'dull' but you'd have to cut bales of tobacco to take the edge off most quality cutters. An alcohol wipe or some alcohol on a paper towel will clean the blades right up and restore smooth operation. You will not believe the difference..!!

Absolutely this ^^^^. That's one of the reasons I swear by the CC cutters... my alcohol cleanings became less frequent despite increased use. Isopropyl alcohol and some Qtips (get the Target brand swabs, Up & Up.. or something like that, way better than Qtips), along with self-sharpening blades... make for perfect cuts thousands of times.

Exactly! I have a good Palio from 15 years ago and it got so gunked up it was hard to open, and when you did open it, it would usually come apart.

I cleaned it good and now it not only opens easier, but it cuts better too.

I also love having this little guy around in the man cave. I don't cut too often with it because I am afraid I might break it, but it sure is handy for draining a lighter, adjusting a lighter, a nubber, even a bottle opener.

1646334227394.png
1646334297255.png

I still have and use the Palio I bought for $35, 15 years ago.

No. No. No.

Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter.

View attachment 52810

Nothing mentioned here... or in all my travels, compares. I have the silver carbon fiber one above. They're $25 and have a bulletproof Lifetime Warranty.

They're fantastic.
I was intrigued by this so I did some research. One of the reviews was VERY specific saying ONLY "the original all stainless steel" cutter is of good quality. He goes on to say that their subsequent models are not as good.

I can't find the "original" one?

Review

I was intrigued by this so I did some research. One of the reviews was VERY specific saying ONLY "the original all stainless steel" cutter is of good quality. He goes on to say that their subsequent models are not as good.

I can't find the "original" one?

Review

Hmmm... well mine is definitely old.. probably 15 years or so. I've bought a few for others over the years but not lately (before covid). That would really suck if they're different now. I also wouldn't go by a single review though either.

I pasted the page that shows all their cutters.. which one had that review? They have cheap plastic ones that are only a few bucks each...

Now I have to get mine... including my backup in my glovebox.. which reminds me.. if I forget to do it when I get back, someone, anyone, remind me to post what happened to my chili... oh mannnn...

So, just as we posted earlier, it's very important to keep your cutter clean! 🤔🥽🦺🧤🪖🚿🧼🧽

20220303_174144.jpg
20220303_174025.jpg

Had to doublecheck my main gear... it's stainless steel, outside of their logo it says PATENTED in all caps... but again, this is at least 15 years old. I do remember that I bought it new for $40. If it's true that the quality has diminished, I wonder if it's from patent maturation.

I know in my little corner of the world, my cigar buddies all have them. My gold one in my glove was a gift from a local buddy after I bought him his first when he retired after his 20 in the Army.

Damn it. Now I have to buy one to know for sure. I'm not going to make further proclamations about it's unmatched quality if it has, in fact, taken a hit recently.

I also know people like to wax poetic on things of the past always being better... or simply a competitor leaving a disparaging post.. "yeah, they used to be good until they.. yada, yada..".

Shit.. I might just call them. Be like, "look, I have the one from 15 yrs ago and buying a gift but heard there's maybe a quality difference these days.. any truth to that and how do you back that up?".

I'll get to the bottom of this one way or another! C'mon Scoob!!

Reactions: RSD