• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dallas / Fort Worth

Cparker

My dogs don't smoke
So after contracting for two years, the company I have been contracting with made me an offer. While the offer is ok, there are issue not worth detailing. Best to say that I do not see this offer as a long term based on corporate volatility.

I interviewed with and received an offer with a company in Fort Worth, Tx. I moved back to Atlanta from Colorado after a lay off, and Georgia is my native state. Oddly enough, this is the third time I have been offered a job in DFW. The pay is slightly less base, and significantly less on bonus. However, corporation seems to have long term employees and appears more stable.

So, the dilemma is do I leave home for less even ?

Any advice on the Fort Worth area ?  

What is the difference in Dallas and Fort Worth ?

Any folks in Texas with advice on what they wish they had known before they moved ?

Any areas to steer away from ?

I am single again (divorced) with no kids. I have two dogs. I can do urban. I can do rural. I cannot do suburban.

I have to give an answer tomorrow, and to be honest, its a bit of a coin toss right now.

Any comments are appreciated

Thanks

Cparker

A little loss pay for longer usually pays more than a little more pay for short term.

Is the cost of living lower in DFW than where you are now?

I do not think so, though the recruiter and HR both debate this with me. It appears to me any savings on state taxes will be offset by property taxes in DFW.

There is NO state tax. Property tax is not bad the way I see it. Ft. Worth has a lot of traffic congestion, Dallas slightly less. I'm not sorry I moved here. A normal summer is freaking hot, 95-105 would be a good range. Car gas is $3.42 currently

There are a lot of very attractive young women in the Metroplex.

No advice about DFW from me, but I would look at what Pugman stated....no state income tax. Even though your gross pay is slightly less, find an income calculator on the internet that models your net pay. You might find that there's not much difference.

Only problem with the metroplex is road construction to support the ridiculous amount of people moving to the area. Though I'm from Houston, I have kin in DFW and am there quite often. In fact, I was born in Fort Worth. I'm biased, but as others have mentioned, I also enjoy keeping more of my paycheck and not paying state income tax.