• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Death of a small business

DirtyDave

Newbie Dirtball
As some of you are aware, I manage a branch of a small local bank in Wisconsin. My branch is what is known in the banking industry as an "in-store" branch, meaning it is located inside of a grocery store. The grocery store that we're located in is family owned, and has been in operation for almost 20 years. Unfortunately, today the owner informed me that they have to close their doors for good next month. He wished that he could give proper notice, but unfortunately that just was not possible. This is mostly due a business that opened it's doors about a year ago in town. This business is one that touts the fact that it is an American business, but has done more in the last decade to force business overseas than just about any other retailer in America. Remember, when you take advantage of those "rolled back" prices, you are not supporting your local business. I will not get into the logistics of how much that business hurts a community when it enters it, but it has now directly effected me, as my branch will be closing with the store. I hope I can find another position within my company, but I'm also aware that there aren't any openings for the position I hold. I also hope that my staff will be able to keep their jobs, but I doubt that all of them will survive. In these tough times, I was grateful to still be employed. I'll know by the end of the week if that's still the case... Here's hoping for a brighter tomorrow!

Good luck Dave, hopefully you can find a new position with your company. Mom and pop businesses closing are almost never a good thing.

As some of you are aware, I manage a branch of a small local bank in Wisconsin. My branch is what is known in the banking industry as an "in-store" branch, meaning it is located inside of a grocery store. The grocery store that we're located in is family owned, and has been in operation for almost 20 years. Unfortunately, today the owner informed me that they have to close their doors for good next month. He wished that he could give proper notice, but unfortunately that just was not possible. This is mostly due a business that opened it's doors about a year ago in town. This business is one that touts the fact that it is an American business, but has done more in the last decade to force business overseas than just about any other retailer in America. Remember, when you take advantage of those "rolled back" prices, you are not supporting your local business. I will not get into the logistics of how much that business hurts a community when it enters it, but it has now directly effected me, as my branch will be closing with the store. I hope I can find another position within my company, but I'm also aware that there aren't any openings for the position I hold. I also hope that my staff will be able to keep their jobs, but I doubt that all of them will survive. In these tough times, I was grateful to still be employed. I'll know by the end of the week if that's still the case... Here's hoping for a brighter tomorrow!
Don't get me started on Wal-Mart.

My heart goes out to you guys for hanging in there as long as you did.

Hang in there.

Sad news Dave, I hate to see things like this occur. In my job I see first hand how hundreds of businesses have had to deal with the economy this past year. It's rough enough to survive the everyday challenges, let alone some bloated monster like that coming to town. What's worse is that many of those people will be working there soon and walmart knows it. You seem to have plenty of experience and will find another gig soon enough. Some of these others may not have a choice but to jump on the walmart express. Best wishes to you bro.

Bryce

This is very saddening to hear. I hope things work out for you, but I don't blame walmart. I blame the people who don't support local business. This is exactly the reason why I agree to pay $7 for $5 smokes from my local B&M. Everyone needs to support small businesses wherever they can! Sam Walton is rolling in his grave due to the disgrace his company has become.

Hang in there, and hope everything works out for the best. (I have never, and never will step foot into a Walmart; they are a disgrace imho.)

Good luck Dave, I hope things work out for the best bud.

Sorry to hear the sad news Dave. Try and keep a good attitude brother and I hope you and the other folks in your office get through this tough time....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

Hang in there Dave, my best to you. Keep us updated.

As everyone has said, sorry to hear brother. Shame for the store to have to close, good luck to you and yours. Let us know how it goes!

Sorry to hear. You'll land on your feet. Everything always comes out in the wash...

Piss on Wal-Mart.

Sorry to hear the bad news Dave. Keep a good attitude and you will be just fine. Hoping you find another position.

Ken

I appreciate everyone's concern, and I'll definitely keep you posted what happens. My bosses are actually meeting right now to discuss what to do with everyone here. I've got my fingers crossed that most of us will get to keep our jobs. Not knowing is the hardest part of the whole thing, but we were all blindsided with it yesterday. We're just trying to get customer notifications handled first. We've been promised an answer as to our employment by Friday, I'm just hoping it will come a bit sooner.

Thanks again everyone for your support! All the more reason why I love this community.

Dave...Sorry to hear about the situation of you and your employees as well as for the owners and employees of the store your bank is housed in. Everyone knows it is tough out there right now. I hope that the news you get at the end of the week will be good news. Best of luck to you and the rest of your crew over there. I agree with a lot of sentiments here though. Big business may drive the little guy out of business, I've seen it happen to may dad as well, but I don't view it as their faults. Corporations have a responsiblity to generate earnings for their sharholders. That is their purpose. It is the consumer that needs to step up. I echo many of the thoughts presented here in that the consumer needs to speak with their dollars. Buy from local businesses instead of chain stores. Support your local merchants whenever you are in the envialbe position of being able to do so. Bigger isn't always better. Sometimes it's just bigger.

Ok, so another day and no word, but things are looking pretty grim. I've decided to pass some time with a small contest I hope people will participate in. I'm calling it the: "Will I keep my job?" contest. I know, not too catchy, but hey, my creative juices just aren't flowing the greatest right now. Here's how it works:

Answer my questions with whatever you think may be right, mind you it is almost all speculation.
The contest will run until an announcement is made to make it official.
I will choose a winner based on "price is right" rules, closest without going over.
Prize will be a nice 5er with the possiblilty for bonus sticks.

Alright lets begin.

1. Will I still have a job in my company?
2. What will my position be?
(a) Branch Manager (b) Assistant Branch Manager (c) Financial Sales Representative (personal banker/teller)
3. When will the announcement be made? (date and time, no later than Friday at 5 pm)

Bonus questions:

1. If I keep my job, what will my celebration stick be?
2. If I lose my job, what will my consolation stick be?

Help me keep a little bit of my sanity by participating! ;) Thanks again everyone.

1. Yes
2. C
3. Friday ~ 1015

Bonus:
1. Cohiba
2. Cohiba

I do hope that I am wrong about #2!

Good luck!

Hang in there, Dave!! I look forward to hanging out again!

1. Definitely!
2. B
3. 10/9 @ 2:30pm CST

Bonus Questions:

1. H.Upmann Magnum 46
2. Perdomo 2 Limited Edition 2008 Churchill (I hear you like those...)

Jeffrey L.

*reason for edit: There's no WAY you could be a teller!

Thanks for the contest Dave!

I'll go with:
1) Yes
2) B
3) Friday, 1:30pm

Bonus:
1) Johnny-o
2) Montecristo (ISOM)

Regardless of the outcome, all the best to you brother!