• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Diamond Crown Lounge Grand Opening

wavescrashing

Bolis or bust
Just thought some SoCal BOTL/SOTL would be interested in this. Here's the link with all the info:
http://www.cigarfamily.com/content/index.p...ails&did=74
Apparently Diamond Crown is pairing up with cigar shops that have already been established for a while, helping them (financially) turn the place into a B&M/lounge, and calling the lounge part a Diamond Crown lounge. These are popping up all over the country from the list on their site.
Not sure if I'll go as it is on a Monday.

Ah, my competition. For those who haven't been there yet, this place is worth a visit. Zack's humidor has an amazing selection of smokes and he keeps buying new stuff all the time. I haven't been down there in awhile, but when I did visit I was treated great. The lounge has beer/wine and plenty of room to smoke.

Stinki

Ah, my competition. For those who haven't been there yet, this place is worth a visit. Zack's humidor has an amazing selection of smokes and he keeps buying new stuff all the time. I haven't been down there in awhile, but when I did visit I was treated great. The lounge has beer/wine and plenty of room to smoke.

Stinki

Nice plug Bro and very modest of you, but Corona is far enough for me. Plus your place ain't too shabby either. :whistling: :laugh:

Stinki, I'd definitely go to yours if it was closer to my house. Again, thanks for your honesty on this lounge, as I've never been there and was wondering what it would be like.

Hmmm...

On one hand, I wish Zack the best of luck with his lounge becoming a DCL. He has an amazing selection, and his lounge couches are comfy. On the other hand, the prices are pretty ungodly high for California, and he no longer allows "walk-ins/non-members" access to his lounge. This B&M was my home for a very long time, and I supported it as much as possible, when I could fiscally afford it.

I've been there recently, and IMHO, the degree of service and friendliness has dropped dramatically. I no longer feel like a valued customer, as when I walked in, the employee looked up from his desk, said nothing, and I walked into the humidor without a word. Approximately 15 minutes later, he came in, and without asking me what I like to smoke, he steered me to the Diamond Crown Maximus cigars and showed me Robusto's priced at $22 a stick, stating they were their "best smoke" and I "just had to buy one."

It was just odd, being steered to the most expensive cigars in the B&M, and told that I "must" buy one without being asked about my preference or tastes.

I am proud to call Azucar my home, as I've forged a relationship with Geoff and his staff, and it always feels like going over to a good friend's house for a fine cigar. I will put my money into Geoff's lounge any chance I can get, even if it means traveling 40 minutes north.

Like I said, best of luck to Zack and his lounge, but I won't pay $1000 for a year membership there to smoke a cigar and drink a Guiness, when I can easily do that at Geoff's and enjoy my company there, no matter what time of day it is.

No walk-ins? Well, that cancels my plan to go then. I don't have the money or need to have a one year membership, locker, or expensive B&M that they offer. Personally, I just wanted to check it out as I've never gone to a B&M when hosting a company coming in, so I thought it'd be cool, maybe buy some new fangled sticks DC is demoing (similar to stuff CAO is doing on their current "tour"). Ultimately, I like herfing it up at my house or other close BOTL/SOTL houses...barbecue, BYOB, choice of music and whatever else you'd want to do, nothing beats it IMHO.

Apparently Diamond Crown is pairing up with cigar shops that have already been established for a while, helping them (financially) turn the place into a B&M/lounge, and calling the lounge part a Diamond Crown lounge. These are popping up all over the country from the list on their site.
Yeah, they certainly are.

They took over the former Red Cloud in Fullerton, of which I was/am a member. I recall a shop in Lake Forest taken over as well. All over, really, just like you said. The former Red Cloud has pretty much stayed the same. Zero change in decor. No, wait, the front end changed a bit - but has essentially the same kinda environment. Their policy has always been that anyone can smoke in the front end and they have a couple of chairs to accommodate those customers, but only members may enter into the back lounge area. The lounge area sells alcohol, and it is strongly likely they make $$$$ off of alcohol sales back there which would hurt their tobacco receipts for allowing indoor smoking - thus the need for a membership format. I believe Azucar suffers under the same regulations, no? I've never been to Azucar yet, but that website certainly tempts me strongly. It's just driving to the 951 which spooks me away.

It retains most of the same staff as before. The selection was already a tad pricey. I've noticed they've gained more higher end Newman and Fuente cigars and those are a tad pricey too. I've never purchased a cigar from them though. I've always brought my own in. I keep them somewhat on the sly when entering the lounge from the humidor section, as I was advised to do by staff when purchasing my membership and it has never been a problem for me. The lounge staff clearly see me pulling out my own cigars one by one as needed and it never fazes them.

No walk-ins? Well, that cancels my plan to go then. I don't have the money or need to have a one year membership, locker, or expensive B&M that they offer. Personally, I just wanted to check it out as I've never gone to a B&M when hosting a company coming in, so I thought it'd be cool, maybe buy some new fangled sticks DC is demoing (similar to stuff CAO is doing on their current "tour"). Ultimately, I like herfing it up at my house or other close BOTL/SOTL houses...barbecue, BYOB, choice of music and whatever else you'd want to do, nothing beats it IMHO.
I'm pretty sure he sells day passes. It's pretty common, especially for events. Just remember that the TAA is for the CFCF. The box is $50 and comes with two great smokes. There is no profit to the B&M with the sale of the TAA set. Buying a few beers, day pass, or smokes helps pay the rent. Not enough money for the rent and the place goes away. Nobody wants that to happen.

Stinki

Note to self- next time Jon comes in, make sure to recommend a DCM.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Note to self- Next time I see Grant, kick his crotch!! :p

Jon, I fixed it for you.

I've never been to Azucar yet, but that website certainly tempts me strongly. It's just driving to the 951 which spooks me away.

Brother, I cannot encourage you enough to go visit Azucar. The photos simply do not do it justice. Geoff has created an amazing lounge, and if I lived anywhere near it, I might be there so often my wife would greet me home at the door with a gun asking who I was and why I had a key to her home. It's that awesome.

Yeah, they certainly are.

They took over the former Red Cloud in Fullerton, of which I was/am a member. I recall a shop in Lake Forest taken over as well. All over, really, just like you said. The former Red Cloud has pretty much stayed the same. Zero change in decor. No, wait, the front end changed a bit - but has essentially the same kinda environment. Their policy has always been that anyone can smoke in the front end and they have a couple of chairs to accommodate those customers, but only members may enter into the back lounge area. The lounge area sells alcohol, and it is strongly likely they make $$$$ off of alcohol sales back there which would hurt their tobacco receipts for allowing indoor smoking - thus the need for a membership format. I believe Azucar suffers under the same regulations, no? I've never been to Azucar yet, but that website certainly tempts me strongly. It's just driving to the 951 which spooks me away.

It retains most of the same staff as before. The selection was already a tad pricey. I've noticed they've gained more higher end Newman and Fuente cigars and those are a tad pricey too. I've never purchased a cigar from them though. I've always brought my own in. I keep them somewhat on the sly when entering the lounge from the humidor section, as I was advised to do by staff when purchasing my membership and it has never been a problem for me. The lounge staff clearly see me pulling out my own cigars one by one as needed and it never fazes them.

I believe they have the same type of liquor license we do. It's a Type 57, Private Lounge license. In California you can drink in a private lounge and you can smoke in a private lounge. The only other way to serve alcohol and smoke inside is to be 100% owner-operated, i.e. No Employees! Paying an annual membership fee and/or day pass really helps paying the rent. CA B&Ms already have a tough time competing in state due to the tax structure. If we try to work too much margin into the smokes our customers will just go online. The revenue from the alcohol is nice, but you have to have members or their guests in the lounge to make that work. However, we can BBQ and smoke in my garage year round with no fee! :)

Oh, get off your butt and make the drive down the lovely 91. It's not that bad, especially around 3:00 AM. LOL

Geoff

Oh, get off your butt and make the drive down the lovely 91. It's not that bad, especially around 3:00 AM. LOL
I can't believe I'm even contemplating a trek through the desert. My self imposed fight club code is to avoid driving east of the 57 to the best of my abilities and to never gaze upon the 15 unless my final destination has gambling, wine or Tijuana donkey shows as the final destination. But the cigar enthusiast in me just cannot entirely avoid any respectable local B&M. When are you there in the latter part of next week? Are personal cigars acceptable in your lounge area? I'd make up the seat rental in IPA fees and any day pass fees of your business. :)

Oh, and about the topic of lounge membership fees. I gladly pay reasonable membership fees at cigar lounges which offer alcohol on their menu. I know this sounds snobbish, but I feel the membership cost, be it an annual or one day pass cost, helps keep the riff raff out and maintains a true cigar environment. I feel the expense chases away those who are merely seeking a bar which allows smoking - versus a cigar lounge which offers alcohol. Two completely different vibes, in my opinion.

I can't believe I'm even contemplating a trek through the desert. My self imposed fight club code is to avoid driving east of the 57 to the best of my abilities and to never gaze upon the 15 unless my final destination has gambling, wine or Tijuana donkey shows as the final destination. But the cigar enthusiast in me just cannot entirely avoid any respectable local B&M. When are you there in the latter part of next week? Are personal cigars acceptable in your lounge area? I'd make up the seat rental in IPA fees and any day pass fees of your business. :)
I'm not in the desert. It's Corona for god's sake. You make it sound like it's across the country. LOL I actually made it from North Court in Fullerton to the lounge in less then 30 minutes. It's all about timing with that dang freeway. I'll probably be there next Thursday all day and into the evening. This Saturday we have a reggae jazz band but I'm not sure I'll be there. I'll be there next Saturday for sure and of course for the TAA event on the 25th. Yes you can smoke personal cigars. I'll charge you for beer, but CP members never pay for entry. Everyone here is my personal guest.

Stink

Cool. I'll shoot for next Thursday afternoon'ish. I hope not to forget my desert turban. :laugh:

Note to self- next time Jon comes in, make sure to recommend a DCM.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Note to self- Next time I see Grant, kick his crotch!! :p

Jon, I fixed it for you.

I've never been to Azucar yet, but that website certainly tempts me strongly. It's just driving to the 951 which spooks me away.

Brother, I cannot encourage you enough to go visit Azucar. The photos simply do not do it justice. Geoff has created an amazing lounge, and if I lived anywhere near it, I might be there so often my wife would greet me home at the door with a gun asking who I was and why I had a key to her home. It's that awesome.

note to self- wear a cup to work