• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do you commute?

mr.mac

Well, I fianally got a job offer from the wonderful State of Texas in the field I have been training to work in for the last four years. :whistling: It's truely an exciting time for me. So as my title suggests, looks like I'll have to be joining the morning rat race. I'm looking at about 80 miles round trip, all highway, from North Texas down into the heart of Big Dallas. I'm really not looking forward to the commute, but figure Sirius radio and good smokes can keep me company. :thumbs:

So I'm curious about your commute. How far? Slow traffic? Tips to beat the insanity? Anything helps...

mac

Probably about 6 miles to my Job. Thankful it saves me Gasoline, but It's not enough time to enjoy a full short smoke.

I know gas prices make us do things we don't want to do, but if you can avoid carpooling you should. I tried it for about 3 months, about lost my mind.

Congrats on the job! But as long as you have a cigar...you should be fine...I know I am fine with a cigar. I don't even need a radio!

Grats on the jerb! I drive ~50 miles roundtrip... Probably takes about 25 minutes each way because of traffic... Driving into Boston is not an ideal way to spend my morning and evening (edit: and gas money), but eh, work is work.

I go about 30 miles each way on the Long Island Expwy each day. When I have a carpool and can use the HOV lane, 35 minutes ... w/o 60 minutes. Get a carpool if you can ... even if the time were equal, having company helps pass the time.

Good luck.

Yeah Mike, commuting kinda sucks, but you get used to it. I live in Jersey and work in Brooklyn. My commute is also approximately 80 miles a day give or take. On school or Jewish holidays with no traffic it takes me about 45-50 min. each way. Any other time during the summer months it's a little over an hour. For the nine months that school's in starting the first day, over an hour and a half each way easy. Cigars and plenty of good music or entertaining talk radio will get you through. Welcome to the club! Just be thankful if you have little or no tolls to pay, because $100/wk. in gas and $15/day in tolls SUCKS!

I did 4 years on a 180 mile round trip back when 93 octane was under $1.50.

Never again.

Wilkey

4 years ago I did 112 miles each way and worked 12 hours minimum each day. I drove it every day, boy was I glad when that job was over!!!!

Used to commute 100+ miles round trip when I lived in California. Eight years of back pain, headaches, and road rage. But, I had a decent job, and didn't really have to bring work or stress home with me.

Now, thankfully, I take the subway and read a lot of books. But as luck turns, I don't like my job and bring a little too much stress with me. Ah well, at least I have my cigars.

Good luck with the job.

i have to commute just 10 miles to work and it takes me 1hr 15mins and if i smoke ill probably get a ticket or jail time since you cant smoke in the subways any more. and there is no radio signal underground either. :(

I know gas prices make us do things we don't want to do, but if you can avoid carpooling you should. I tried it for about 3 months, about lost my mind.

You're also one of the bigger assholes I know!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I commute to work, and gas pricing is literally killing me. I've got a headache right now, I need a fuckin' cigar. Finances are a mess. Absolute mess.

Congrats on the job, "may God guide you in your quest..."

You're also one of the bigger assholes I know!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I commute to work, and gas pricing is literally killing me. I've got a headache right now, I need a fuckin' cigar. Finances are a mess. Absolute mess.

Congrats on the job, "may God guide you in your quest..."

You can't take a patrol car home? You need to go work in Bugscuffle, TX. (See The Lawdog Files)

My current commute is 2 flights of stairs. I used to commute 60/day round trip, and I hated every second of it. I'd recommend finding a carpool; if you don't like your carpoolers, put on some noise blocking headphones and use a cellular modem card to work or troll CP.

I commute anywhere from 30 miles to 100 miles daily
My cars/ trucks last about 4 years

I have been doing this 20 years.
My career is a telecom tech. I have clients all over the greater LA area. Hell I was even in San Jose last week!

To make my commute better I invested in Sirius radio. I highly advise you do this.

I also smoke in the car but usually only on Fridays. Keeps it kind of special. Then the rest of the week I can try to clear out the smell.

Ger Sirius radio I can't tell you enough

I used to commute from here in PA to Ft. Meade MD which is about 115 miles round trip. I could do the morning trip (leaving at 5:40AM) in an hour unless there was an accident but the return was at least 90 minutes. That was 10 years ago and it will take 15 minutes more each way today.

Is there any mass transit options such as a train? Even if it is not as convenient, it is probably more economical not only in gas put wear and tear on your car. Plus you lose all that time on the road when you drive. If you are a passenger you can do more work or spend the time leisurely. Good luck.

My commute to and from work is only 40 minutes round trip a day. However with my job I am on the road an additional 12 to 14 hours during the week. Without ESPN Radio and National Public Radio (NPR) I would go batty.

Congrats on the job!

I do comute, bout the same round trip as you. I live about 40 miles outside of Pittsburgh, Ive been working here for about a year now. I used to be on evening shift and had to drive in. But I switched to daylight so I could take the bus in. I was spending way too much on gas and everything, about $400 a month and that was with getting around 24-26 mpg. Traffic around here can be a pain, but no where near as bad as some cities Ive been to, here the average wait at the tunnels is roughly 30 min. Sat radio and nice smokes do wonders for the commute. Ive found Robustos to be the perfect size for my commute, when I was driving.

Good luck with the job and be safe commuting!

Well, I have about a 25 mile round trip commute to work. But I like to be friendly to the economy of course. So by the time I saddle the horse, and get him some oats we're at about 20 minutes. Then by the time I finish getting my things together and mount my steed we're at about 30 minutes now. Now add on another 2 hours for the ride there, and I am at work in a mere 2.5 hours. Then my good ole horse gets a rest by the time I get off. Then we start it all over again... :whistling: Really..... :p

Ok I admit it, I drive my car. About 40 minutes round trip, lol. I save the smokes for after I get to work since I can now smoke at the office!

This is the kind of post that I make after getting off of a twelve hour shift. lol!
B