• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

do you punch your cigars or cut them?

hexakosioi

i always used to use a cutter but now...I have been punching, for almost a year, like there is no tomorrow.

however, do you think that this should not be a matter of taste?

In my experience, punching facilitates tar build up.

Doc.

of course i use a cutter for a torpedo...you cant punch those guys

Doc.

buddy...you just woke me up. latey my chest has been annoying me, I know its from the punch....but you just gave a push there. thank you

i think i am going back to cutting

Doc.

buddy...you just woke me up. latey my chest has been annoying me, I know its from the punch....but you just gave a push there. thank you

Sure you can... Right on the side like a chisel. Not that I do but I've seen it done. I use my Xikar MX2 and SHAVE a little of the cap. I don't actually cut through the cap. Good tip I got from Walt from Stogie Review.

I use a punch for everything (except pointy cigars of course).

I find there is no tar build up as long as you use a large enough punch.
I have a number of different sizes, including a really large one that is 12mm in diameter.

Using a small punch on a large ring gauge cigar will cause problems.

For me it depends on the cigar. I usually start with a punch but if I feel the draw is too tight then I proceed with a cut.

I use 3. Cutter, punch, and a really cool V cutter my buddy got me for Christmas.
It really depends on my mood and the vitola. Torpedoes for instance I always use the straight cut.

Doc.

I think Doc was referring to tar buildup at the head of the cigar, not in your chest.

I've always cut, but lately have been using a makeshift punch and I actually enjoy the punch more. I think it's time to invest in a good punch.

I've always used a cutter, then a couple months ago I purchased a new lighter that has two sizes of punch on it. I've punched a few cigars since then and I only had smoke that had tar buildup. I like the punch just because I know it will open the cigar with destroying the cap or leaving bits of tobacco in my mouth.

Over the year's, I've tried them all. Bite, tear, punch, knife slice, single guillotine and double guillotine. I settled on double guillotine with an English cut. I like the way the cut introduces the smoke to the palate.

- KiltLad

I use them all it just depends on how I feel. I like my scissor cutter I have because it does a good job every time.

yeah...punch gives a much concentrated smoke. I think for those who enjoy a bit of flavor should go with cutting.

I cut. I tried to punch once and got a horrible draw. I am sure I did it wrong.

I prefer a punch. It works well for me because I really like a Robusto or Corona size cigar.