• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do you use pipe filters?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Curious if you use pipe filters or not.  If you do, how often do you change them?  The only benefit I have noticed with a filter is that if the tobacco starts to get wet, it keeps the moisture from going up the stem and into your mouth. 

No filters here.
I tried 'em maybe 20 years ago when I was smoking a pipe before.
Didn't really like 'em much.

Never used filters. It just looks like a nasty idea.

Doc

Never here. I just smoke slower to keep from sucking up the tar and what not. That and clean the pipe every two bowls or so.

I use 9mm charcoal filters in my freehand and Savinelli balsa filters in my Sav.  Mostly because it gives my wife peace of mind.  If that makes her happy and still lets me enjoy my pipe, so be it.  Win win.

I smoked my forth bowl ever and second bowl of Cavendish in a Missouri Meerschaum seconds yesterday. All of the MMs come with a Medico filter. About three quarters of the way through the bowl I decided to take out the filter. I immediately noticed that the smoke was cooler and seemed to taste better. I'll be going filterless from now on.

For MM cobs, I'll use a Savinelli balsa filter if I'm smoking aromatics just to help with some of the moisture. I do have a couple of 9mm filter pipes and one came with a bunch of charcoal filters, so I've been using them up as I go. I've heard some people having luck using filters with blends that give them bad tongue bite. I've not noticed a huge difference between filtered and filterless, but then again, I'm pretty much just using them with aromatics. If you smoke wet, I'm sure it would help with the moisture and possible tongue bite.

As far as frequency of changing, I'll change the balsa filters either every bowl or every other bowl depending on how bad they get. The 9mm charcoals I'll use 2-3 times if I'm smoking the same blend.