• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Melo Centenario Liga B

cigardawg

Last night at our usual Thursday night herf, I lit up my last Don Melo Centenario. Now, that does not sound like a big deal. You are probably saying, "Well, it the dumba$$ likes these so much, why doesn't he just go buy more." I could. But the cigar is just not the same. I recently asked in a contest who originally made this cigar and who makes it now. Originally, it was Felipe Gregorio...now, it is Altadis. That is the difference.

FG originally released this cigar back during the cigar boom as an ultra-premium addition to its lines. It was an expensive cigar back then. I think the Liga B ran around $15-$16 per stick. When Altadis took it over, they reduced the price by half (don't know if they substituted materials or just stopped gouging) and began to make a mediocre cigar. The original from FG was great. Construction, flavor, it had all in spades. When Altadis took it over, the cigar went downhill.

The cigar I smoked went into my humidor on my birthday (1/18) in 1999. It had just over 7 years of age on it.

Don Lino Centenario Liga B

This thick toro had a sandy-brown wrapper on it, a little rough around the edges from years of me not being as careful with my cigars as I am now. :blush: There were no appreciable veins and the seams and cap were well applied. I clipped the end and tested the draw, pre-light. I was greeted with an open, easy draw. The pre-light nose was of mild earth, with hints of coffee and definite cedar. This was a cigar to look forward to.

I torched the end, watching it flare as I lightly puffed. Only two puffs were needed to completely light the cigar. The draw stayed very open...I think too open for many, but I enjoyed it. The one drawback to the overly open draw was the lack of smoke production. However, after the first inch or so, smoked production picked up and each puff was rewarded with thick, rich smoke. The cigar burned quasi-evenly during the first half. I had to touch it up around the mid-way point and again later on. However, there was no tunneling, canoeing, etc. The ash as very white and firm, surprising for how open the draw was. The cigar burned cool throughout the smoking experience, never becoming uncomfortable down to the nub.

At the first draw I noted the hint of cedar that I was looking for. It rode on medium-bodied flavors of creamy coffee and toasted tobacco, but it was there. You see, this is probably the most cedar-laden cigar that I have ever smoked. When they were fresh, the cedar was strong, cloying to every flavor in the cigar. Now, after 7 years, the cedar had mellowed, becoming an important character actor instead of a lead. Now, the toasted tobacco flavors were under the spotlight. The taste was consistent throughout with varying levels of the three main ingredients to keep a perfect balance.

I rejoice in the fact that I was able to smoke this cigar last night and I mourn the fact that it was my last one. I have tried several of the Altadis versions and they never did a thing for me. I think the interesting thing to note is that this cigar is a Honduran puro. However, it has none of the edgy, in-your-face aspects that I have associated with most Honduran tobacco. I don't say that as a bad thing, it is just one of the traits of most tobacco from this country.

I utterly enjoyed smoking this cigar. I rate it as a solid A .