• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic Robusto

jfk742

Beedogs are a sign of impotency
5x 50 April 2007
wrapper:Nicaraguan Corojo
binder:Nicaraguan
filler:Nicaraguan

On another thread, Wilkey had suggested that you run some water over the wrapper then smoke it. I instantly thought that this was a joke and replied as such, then another member and Wilkey replied that it wasn't and that they had saved many fragile smokes from cold, dry nights. I thought it might be fun to test it with a stick I've had many problems with before given those conditions, so here it is.

5:45p 28f 40%rh

I take the bands off of the stick and run the tap at the sink at just a little more than a trickle, and for about 5-7 seconds twirl the cigar with the foot facing down as not to get any water in it. After appearing fully saturated (the wrapper only) I quickly removed the excess water with a paper towel. At this point the wrapper took on a slightly moddled look and the foot flaired just a little bit, besides that it appeared "happy".

Outside in the garage with a thermometer/humidity gauge that I have previously tested, read: a balmy 28F 40%rh (not as dry as I hoped it to be but oh well). I clipped the head with no problems, with this brand I usually us the circumsize it as opposed to cutting because I usually have the wrapper split on me. That was the first test and it passed with flying colors.

The draw was a little loose for me but typically is with this cigar, predraw was an even combo tobacco, coffee, cocoa.

I roasted the end for a moment, the smell is slightly acrid and irritating to the nose. The light went off well. This is when I would expect the wrapper to split but it held together beautifully.

The first third of the cigar was went well with a minimal run that fixed easily. The super saturated wrapper didn't have anything to do with it as I have found a slight run with this cigar to be normal. Cocoa coffee on the front and middle and a pleasant leather finish that didn't last too long.

At about an inch the ash fell off. A good hearty ash, it was a dark gray in color with a little bit of striation to it, though not a cigar I'd plan on doing an ash stand with.

The second third was much like the first, a small run, easily fixed. The flavors stayed consistent but the cigar needed to be purged once in a while because of some acrid taste developing on the finish. The wrapper has now almost dried out completely save for body near the head, still no cracking or suggestions of cracking.

The last third I had to put it out, too fricking cold and the flavor has now gone completely south. I think as cold as it was I wasn't giving it enough time between draws causing the cigar to heat up and taste unpleasant.

This technique of wetting a cigar when the weather doesn't bear well on the more delicate sticks is a helluva trick, I'd like to try it when its +95F and -35%RH that would be the real deal breaker as that seems to me to wreck the most havoc on my cigars.

Thanks for the suggestion, Wilkey. I know to never question you again on the matter of cigars.

John

Thanks for the suggestion, Wilkey. I know to never question you again on the matter of cigars.

John
You don't go to cigar heaven if you question Wilkey ;)

Brian

thanks i learnt something new too with this manouver :)

I was talking to a guy at my local B&M today and he has tried the same thing but with a different technique: Spray a paper towel down with some water and roll the cigar up in it. I suppose there is less of a chance of over saturating the cigar.

John

John
I'm glad that you found the technique useful. As with much practical cigar knowledge, this is something passed on from smoker to smoker. My modest contribution is making it clear and bringing it to the general awareness of my fellows.

But by all means, I heartily encourage questioning. The only ideas worthy of transmission over time are those that are tested, tried and true, proven to be useful, and not detrimental. I'm a big fan of critical examination of what passes for "knowledge."

JFK, I think that technique would work fine as well. I have no worries about oversaturating the cigar though. As you will see when you run water over the wrapper, initially, the wrapper is really quite water repellent. With 5 seconds or less of exposure, it is almost impossible to get the stick too wet. I usually wipe off the loose bulk water with my fingers then wrap it in a paper towel for a few seconds to let the water gently permeate the wrapper.

I've disassembled entire cigars by soaking them and you would be surprised at exactly how hard it is to soak a cigar in water. Water in the form of water vapor (humidity) is much more effective.

Cheers,
Wilkey

Although I have never tried it, I would imagine a spray bottle would also work quite well in saturating the outer wrapper. It may take alittle longer to saturate the wrapper but might not be as harsh as running water over it. Just a thought.

Bob

Although I have never tried it, I would imagine a spray bottle would also work quite well in saturating the outer wrapper. It may take alittle longer to saturate the wrapper but might not be as harsh as running water over it. Just a thought.

Bob
It's not harsh at all. A gentle stream of water from the nozzle of my countertop filter is sufficient and quite effective. Obviously it would be ill advised to have the tap full on when attempting this.

Wilkey

I"m already having trouble with splitting up here in northern Indiana. I'll be trying this.

Keith