• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Rafael #77--Toro

Saxjazzman

This thread will review:

Name: Don Rafael #77, Toro
Size: 6.00 x 54
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Grown Conneticut Broadleaf
Binder: DR
Filler: DR
MSRP: Box of 25 for $92.50
Price Paid: $37.00
Stated Strength: Mild to Medium
Comments: This cigar is rolled under the supervision of Jose Dominguez in the Victor Sinclair factory in the Dominican Republic. This cigar was purchased in August 2007.

For original thread discussion see Start Up Thread

To keep it standard, we would rate the cigars in three categories.

A) Appearance--How the cigar looks, how the pre-light smell is, the wrapper, etc.

B) Taste---How is the taste? Spicy, strong, bland, airball, etc. How did the taste progress, etc.

C) Construction---How did the cigar perform in terms of draw, burn, ash, etc.

To rate the cigars we would use a number from 5 to 10, 5 being one you would not even give Fidel to smoke and ten being a damm good cigar. The final rating number would be determined by the following:
A + B + (1.5)C divided by 3.5. This is similar to how Cigar Magazine does it but it is a little different. I realize that this is not perfect and there may be better ways but this would work also. Thanks for the reviews!!

A) Appearance -- 7 --Average looking. Triple cap. Nothing bad not special either.

B) Taste – 6 -- I could not taste much of anything. Very mild. After a nice pre-light smell I expected much more.

C) Construction –8-- Draw was good and so was the ash.

Overall I would take a lover of very mild sticks to enjoy this one. I could not recommend this one even as a bundle cigar.

Thanks Saxjazzman for including me in this.

Seth

Well guys, I'm very sorry this took so freaking long for me to do, but I was finally able to review one of the cigars from this series. I had about an hour or so of reading homework to do, so I thought this Don Rafael Toro would fit the bill. (And if it sucked...it wouldn't matter..as I was reading a crappy book for class anyways!)

A) Appearance-- Rating: 6 ---- This was definitely not a pretty looking cigar. While the wrapper was a nice light tan color, there a ton of veins all throughout, making this one ugly looking cigar! The smell coming off of this cigar was absolutely nasty prior to torching it - reminded me of a moldy basement LOL! I'm usually a sucker for nice decorative labels, but this one seemed to fit, it was a plain white band with the name written in fancy script. Nothing too flashy - I don't think a bundle cigar deserves a fancy label.

B) Taste--- Rating: 7 ----- The taste of this cigar started out extremely bland and progressively moved toward a creamy flavor, but the flavor never amounted to much. I was very disappointed, as I was hoping it would turn out to be a nice mild, but creamy and smooth cigar. Kind of a let down.
C) Construction---Rating: 8 ------ The draw on this cigar started out a tad tight, as I had to work to get a decent amount of smoke, but then at about the same time the flavor changed from bland to creamy-ish, the draw started to loosen up and became much more manageable. The burn on the Don Rafael #77, was quite impressive, as it was almost always a perfect burn. In the instances that the burn would become uneven, it would even itself out without my assistance. The hold wasn't anything to write home about as it only held on for an inch, before it started to lean, and I had to tap it off. Also, the ash was quite flaky.

6+7+(1.5)8/3.5 = 7.14

FINAL RATING: 7.14 ----- I wouldn't really recommend this cigar. I guess it would be a decent yard gar, but I know you can find better yard gars at the same price point.

SJM- Thank you again for letting me be apart of these reviews and I apologize for taking so damn long to complete them. :(...Thank you for your patience and understanding. :thumbs: (I hope to keep reviewing these maybe one a week or so if this is acceptable :)).