• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Double Coronas

g-smoke

Silent but deadly
I'm definitely a neophyte on the ISOMs and have been trying to sample what I can. I got my hands on a sampler of double coronas recently and find myself extremely impressed with this vitola. Normally I'm a robusto smoker, with a healthy supply of lanceros that I enjoy.

So far I have had a Partagas Lusitania, a Punch Double Corona, and am smoking a Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro as I type. I have a couple others left to smoke in the sampler. The Lusitania in particular was one of those cigars that just blew my mind. I will always remember that smoke.

What's got me scratching my head is why the double coronas I've had so far have impressed me so much. What is it about this vitola that leads to such flavorful, memorable experiences? Wondering if you seasoned veterans have any wisdom or theories about how this vitola is blended or constructed that makes it so damn good.

Luck of the draw, perhaps? I think you just found a size that really works for you. The ones you've smoked so far can be quite good, IMO.

It's all personal preference and you've found your sweet spot for wrapper vs filler vs binder flavor, I guess. If it didn't take you that long, all the better! :D

Personally, I'll take a corona gorda over anything else, although a healthy dose of petite corona and lanceros are enjoyed. :) If I were looking for a longer smoke to last through some card playing or whatever, though, a double corona sounds looks like it'd be alright.

-John

It's all personal preference and you've found your sweet spot for wrapper vs filler vs binder flavor, I guess. If it didn't take you that long, all the better!

-John

I think that's probably the case.

If any one has suggestions for other smokes in this size to try, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Just to throw my $0.02 into the ring. I think first of all, all three cigars that you sampled are excellent examples of double coronas, so it is not surprise that you really enjoyed them. While you do smoke smaller ring gauge cigars, you are primarily a robusto smoker, so you probably like the larger ring format, as most churchills have a smaller ring gauge than an robusto. While some people say that smaller ring gauge cigars bring more concentrated flavors, I say that larger ring gauge cigars bring about more complex flavors and the blenders can use a larger variety of tobaccos in larger ring gauge smokes. This complexity, or evolution of flavor is something I think many smokers look for in a good cigar. In addition the larger ring gauge and the longer length of the double corona vitola make for a very cool smoke. This helps prevent the cigar from getting to harsh which allows you to better experience the flavors, and therefore improves the smoking experience. Finally, there is the point that others have brought up about you finding the proper fit for yourself, which is likely a key factor as well. When you combine all of these things together I think you can understand, at least from my viewpoint, why you enjoyed the DC format so much. I too am a big fan, or this vitola...I just wish I could find the time I needed to light one up more often.