• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Drink your best bottle, smoke your best cigars

Scottw

I copied this thread from a man named Warren who I respect. I am pasting it in so hopefully it comes out OK. In light of the 3 wakes I have been to and the death of a young relative at 23 yrs old and a friend at 38 as well as another stricken with cancer in the past 10 days, I wanted you to all be able to see and understand this:

"I was listening to the radio in the car yesterday, the show "A Splendid Table" was on NPR. One of the segments was an essay written by a guy who learned the hard way. I know I am guilty of this, and thought perhaps some of you are too. Hence, I'm posting this to encourage you to drink your good wine (scotch, bourbon, etc) and smoke your good cigars.

On his wedding day he and his bride were given a bottle of Chateau Margaux 1978. They decided to save the special wine for a special occasion. Various "normal" life events transpired in their lives; the birth of a couple of children, various wedding anniversaries, the publication of his first book, etc. None of these seemed worthy of the bottle of 1978 Margaux. The bottle awaited the "right" occasion.

Fast forward 20 years, and the author's bride developed brain cancer, and died within an half-year.

At some point following her untimely death, he happened upon the bottle of 1978 Margaux. It was never to be drank upon a special occasion in their lives together.

The author, trying to bring some value to the unfortunate situation, passed the bottle on to another young couple, with instructions to drink the wine. Unfortunately, the young couple discovered that the bottle had soured, and the wine was now undrinkable.

So, for what it's worth from a relative stranger, be sure to find things to celebrate in your life. Is it an "unimportant" wedding anniversary? Celebrate. Kid got strong grades in school? Celebrate. Boss gave you an "attaboy" at work? Celebrate. You never know when life is going to take a bad turn. Break out the good wine, old scotch, and special cigars."

I know the next stick I enjoy will be something I was saving for the right time along with a drink that was waiting patiently as well.

Never take a single step for granted my friends.

SW

Great post Scott, smoke your best brother when ever you can....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

Very inspirational! Thanks for the post. I keep telling my dad that I can't wait for fall because I want football to start. He always replies with, "Don't wish your life away son. It goes by quick enough as it is". This post, to me, reinforces that.

Sorry to hear about the bad string of happenings around you and your family lately.

The above statement is a good mantra to live by.

Couldn't agree more--words to live by. Tomorrow is promised to no man...

Very powerful words in that post Scott! Great time to post it also...

Excellent post.

I firmly believe that every day that the Lord allows us to live is a gift unto itself.

Thank you.

What a great reminder. :thumbs:

I have family coming over for Memorial weekend. I'll smoke something good because I'll have family over and something good to remember the fallen heroes who have sacrificed so much for the freedoms we have.

So, my piss poor primary impulse control is a good thing?

Doc.

Excellent advice and reminder. Thank you!

With that, I'm going to have a GREAT weekend. :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing this outlook with us Scott. Living each day to the last.

Yeah, at some point in life I looked at things I was saving, and realized that if I died tomorrow, I never would have had the experience. Living Now is a secret to life, and happiness, that I often contemplate.

Living life and enjoying it now is more important than waiting for that extra special day to celebrate. One of my co-workers often replies to "How are you today?" with "I woke up on the right side of the dirt. It's a good day." Pretty good advice from a man who survived a helicopter crash in the winter, in the bush. He had to walk somewhere around 5 miles through the bush to find help for the pilot and other passengers. I should follow his philosophy more often.

Living life and enjoying it now is more important than waiting for that extra special day to celebrate. One of my co-workers often replies to "How are you today?" with "I woke up on the right side of the dirt. It's a good day.".....

My usual response to "How are you?" is "I'm vertical and above ground. Everything else is extra."