• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Duty free

Kelownaman

Hi guys
I am heading back to Canada with a few more cigars than my allowance
Is it best to declare the extras or hope for the best
What am$duty would I be looking at paying ?
Thanks

Hi guys
I am heading back to Canada with a few more cigars than my allowance
Is it best to declare the extras or hope for the best
What am$duty would I be looking at paying ?
Thanks
Forget to say from the Dominican
Flight arrives at 12.30 am into van

Forget to say from the Dominican
Flight arrives at 12.30 am into van
I’m glad you mentioned the DR. That is very important. So what you need to do is take the bands off of all your cigars. For the ones above and beyond your allowance what you should do is wrap them in banana leaves. Wrap those in cellophane and wrap that in duct tape. The rationale is that if you get stopped, which is a big possibility since you are coming from the DR, customs will check your bag and see all of the duct taped bundles. They may decide not to bother cutting the duct tape. But if they do, they will see cellphoned leaves. They will ask you about that and you can truthfully say it’s just banana leaves. Tell them that you are bringing them home for agricultural interest. They should leave them alone and not find the extra cigars. However if they do, play dumb. Say you have no idea that those were there and that the person you bought them from must have secretly stashed them in there and that you had nothing to do with it. At that point they will probably just laugh at your misfortune being taken advantage of by a local and wave you through.
Best of luck.

Last edited: