• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Eclipse Smoke?

zeemanb

I did not realize how seriously people were taking the eclipse until two groups of my parent's friends planned trips to KC for the event. My house is well within the path of totality, and St. Joseph, Missouri is about 30min north and is dead center for maximum total eclipse minutes.

It's going to be too crazy to head that direction, especially when sitting on my deck will only cut about half a minute from the total eclipse. Cigar moment? Definitely.

The proper protective glasses are so dark that I'm not amping myself up too much...better an overrated experience than blindness. With it being so historic but the potential for disappointment also a factor, the matching eclipse cigar pairing I have chosen is....... the Davidoff Royal Robusto.

Anyone else have plans?

Only plans i got is working or sitting my ass on my couch if i dont work that day

We're said to be near the spot for longest duration of totality - almost 3 minutes if I remember correctly. NASA is supposed to be at the University in Carbondale.

We're said to be near the spot for longest duration of totality - almost 3 minutes if I remember correctly. NASA is supposed to be at the University in Carbondale.

A fair amount of people in STL are headed your way to view it because you are in a spot which is close to, if not the longest. I'm headed a bit west and watch from the Missouri River bluff with a box lunch and a great cigar which has not yet been selected. I think the spot will be about 20 seconds short of the max. Considering a Monte Robusto EL from 2000.

Last edited:
Traffic around the PacNW is supposed to be insane. I'm taking the day off, and will be 'sheltering in place'.....

A fair amount of people in STL are headed your way to view it because you are in a spot which is close to, if not the longest. I'm headed a bit west and watch from the Missouri River bluff with a box lunch and a great cigar which has not yet been selected. I think the spot will be about 20 seconds short of the max. Considering a Monte Robusto EL from 2000.

If you know anyone headed to the St. Joe area, advise against it....they're predicting complete gridlock, traffic lights turned off with officers directing, no cell service due to congestion, just insanity.

People up there are renting out their backyards to campers. I'm starting to wonder how much I could charge for one of my remaining deck chairs and a premium cigar!

If you know anyone headed to the St. Joe area, advise against it....they're predicting complete gridlock, traffic lights turned off with officers directing, no cell service due to congestion, just insanity.

People up there are renting out their backyards to campers. I'm starting to wonder how much I could charge for one of my remaining deck chairs and a premium cigar!
Save it for me! LOL

Heard spots in yards are going for 1k+

My kids live in Carbondale.....but I'll be staying away. A smoke though for sure. Not sure what yet.

I meant Southern Illinois, sorry for the confusion. No one from here is going across to St. Joe since there are many more wide open places for the total much closer to STL.

Last edited:
I'm returning to SIU Carbondale this semester for my Master's but luckily I'm about 35 minutes NE. Not sure who "they" are bit I've heard "they're" predicting the population in Carbondale to triple or more! Nuts!

I will probably be sitting in my office for this. No smoking in my office, for some reason the boss doesn't like it.

Been there, done that. We did the shoebox thing. The most interesting part was how much of a letdown it was. Maybe if we were an aboriginal tribe and I predicted it and became the head gumbah as a result it might be worth the hoopla.

I actually bought two pieces of tinted welders-torch glass for the last lunar eclipse and have kept them for this. It's actually pretty visible to see the sun through the glass (and apparently quite safe as I stared at the sun for a good half hour and didn't go blind).

I'm sure I won't see more than a partial eclipse but it'll be fun anyways. Probably not worth the chaos to drive down there and see the whole thing. :)

Edited to add: Not lunar eclipse. I'm thinking of the Mercury transit. Still, tiny black dot moving across a large sun. :)

Last edited:
Looks like extensive cloud cover off and on through the afternoon for us. Parents and friends are coming over, so my wife went crazy cleaning the house. That means I'm upgrading my "eclipse" smoke to a '97 RAG in celebration of a company-worthy home.