• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Educate me Please

MrAnderson41

Cool Story 'Bro!
After reading the board it seems like you guys are very down on Cohibas (red dots). I understand that the Cuban brand is far superior but seeing as how they are unavailable in the states they are not an option for me.

I really enjoy my red dots particularly the strong finish they have. However, since I am new to the Cigar world and very open to try different smokes, please educate me. What Cigars of better quality should I try if I enjoy Cohibas?

TIA

Honestly, if you enjoy the smoke, it doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks. The Cohiba red dots are a Dominican brand ? if i remember correctly and is not actually related to the Cuban brand other than by name. As far as "superior", that may not be the case. CC have a tendency to be fake or lack in construction (tighter draw).

" Educate me Please " - the last time I said that, it cost me $500!!!!!

Like what you smoke, Smoke what you like!

I have not done it yet, but if you haven't tried many cigars, I would recommend doing the newbie trade and having one of the great guys from the board hook you up with a sampler. A great chance to get to know some people and a get a variety of sticks as well. I am going to take my own advice one of these days and do it too. :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess what I was really trying to ask is that if I like a Cohiba what are some similar Cigars that I might also enjoy.

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess what I was really trying to ask is that if I like a Cohiba what are some similar Cigars that I might also enjoy.

Oh...you should have said so!

Dunno, havn't had a Red Dot in some time.

Try the 'newbie sampler' thread and ask for somethings similar! :thumbs:

Oh...you should have said so!

Dunno, havn't had a Red Dot in some time.

Try the 'newbie sampler' thread and ask for somethings similar! :thumbs:

I hate to be a pain but I've done a search for "newbie sampler" and didn't find anything. Where would you suggest I look for this thread?

If you're looking for Dominican Cigars, here are a few:

Padron
Fuente
Partagas

Granted, they will all be different, but they are all Dominican.

The main problem I have with Cohibas is that they are so damn overpriced IMO. But then again, I feel the same way about Fuentes and many of the popular choices these days. The Fuente 8-5-8 Flor Fina is a good choice that won't break the bank and any Padron X000 series is also a safe bet. Some more pricier sticks that you'll easily find are Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, Partagas, etc.

For the newbie sampler, see if this link works:
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=29521

If you're looking for Dominican Cigars, here are a few:

Padron
Fuente
Partagas

Granted, they will all be different, but they are all Dominican.

Padrons are Nicaraguan/Honduran.

There are tons of Dominican cigars though.

The main problem I have with Cohibas is that they are so damn overpriced IMO. But then again, I feel the same way about Fuentes and many of the popular choices these days. The Fuente 8-5-8 Flor Fina is a good choice that won't break the bank and any Padron X000 series is also a safe bet. Some more pricier sticks that you'll easily find are Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, Partagas, etc.

This is what I was looking for. I'm not going to stop liking Cohiba's because other people don't like them. But from what I've read they are kind of pricey for the quality of the Cigar. That being said, if there are less expensive sticks that are supposed to be better quality I would like to hear the boards recommendations so that I can try them myself.

This is what I was looking for. I'm not going to stop liking Cohiba's because other people don't like them. But from what I've read they are kind of pricey for the quality of the Cigar. That being said, if there are less expensive sticks that are supposed to be better quality I would like to hear the boards recommendations so that I can try them myself.
Just as others have said...Padron, Fuente. You said you like the "strong finish." Then you might enjoy Nicaraguan smokes like Tatuaje and Oliva V series. But we can't tell you what to like. Try everything, then smoke what you like (I don't think I'm the first to say that :rolleyes: ).

Derek

I just checked out the newbie sampler thread. I will definitely have to give this a whirl once my humidor is seasoned (waiting on Xikar to send the hygrometer I ordered yesterday to confirm humidity).

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

" Educate me Please " - the last time I said that, it cost me $500!!!!!

C'mon you tease . . . where's the story?!?

That'll cost ya $250! ;)
A sexual education, Gary? :p If so, exactly what are you offering for $250? :D

Steve

...and that'll be $300!

:laugh:

Overall, that's a $50 profit!

Profiteers are frowned upon here Gary.... :angry:

:laugh: :sign: