• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

El Rey del Mundo Demi Tasse

thechenman

No One of Consequence
Cigar: EL REY DEL MUNDO DEMI TASSE

Vitola: Mini-Panatela/Entreactos

Filler: Cuba

Binder: Cuba

Wrapper: Cuba

Box Code: Unknown - Purchased as a single (likely '07 - '08)

Price: $3.55 (USD)

Ring Gauge: 30

Length: 3.9 inches

Body: Light

Pairing: Coca-Cola Zero

Date/Time: Friday, August 28[sup]th[/sup], 2009 @ 11:12pm EDT

Environment: It was late in the evening on this Friday night when I finally had the opportunity to step out onto my front porch and enjoy what I hoped would be a good smoke. Given the time of night and a packed morning on Saturday of errands, classes, for the kids, birthday party, etc., I opted for a short smoke so that I could head off to bed at a decent hour. Opening up my Cuban singles humidor, I find this mini-panatela sitting in the top tray. It seemed the right size, so I pulled out the El Rey del Mundo Demi Tasse for my evening (but almost morning) smoke. It was cool outside, with a slight breeze. I would say in the low-60s (farenheit).

Band: Checking out the band as I always do, I remember that the ERDM cigar band is not one of my favorites. The yellow oval just does not sit well with me. The band has shiny gold borders trimmed in red. The yellow oval that sits in the center with the ERDM crest (in gold and white) encircled by a band of gold. El Rey del Mundo and Habana is written in red within the yellow oval, top and bottom. While the wrapper is appealing, I still mentally go bleech…

Appearance: Outside of the ugly cigar band, the ERDM Mini-Panatela is a good looking, albeit small cigar. The wrapper is a light shade of brown. The cigar was a little lighter than a café latte in color. The ERDM Mini-Panatela was firm to the touch with no noticeable soft spots. I did not detect any water spots either. The cap was neatly applied.

Construction: This vitola looks almost like a cigarette. Small and fits like a cigarette in my hand, just a bit heavier. The cigar was well constructed. I could find no soft spots, but I didn't want to squeeze too hard for fear of snapping the cigarette, I mean cigar. The cap looked good as well. Someone with really small hands and fingers must have put this mini-panatela together.

Aroma: I really did not pick up much of a scent from this cigar pre-light. Generally, I detected just a light tobacco scent with nothing else to speak of. Then again I wasn't expecting a whole hell of a lot from this tiny stick. Nothing earth shattering, just a good smoke.

Cut: I cut this cigar with my Xikar Xi3 Zebrawood handle cigar cutter. The cut was clean and easy. All too simple due to the small ring gauge of this cigar.

Draw: The pre-light draw on this cigar was a little tight. To be honest, in my albeit limited experience, that tends to be the case with the smaller ring gauge cigars. Luckily they are short, so I don't have to work to hard. I guess the La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No. 3 I have my eyes on might be a different story given its length. I will let you readers know at a later date. Getting back to the ERDM Demi Tasse, I got a nutty and sweet taste come forward during the pre-light draw.

Light: I lit the ERDM Demi Tasse with my Lotus T3 table lighter. Talk about overkill. The flame almost torched the whole cigar. Needless to say, this puppy lit almost instantaneously.

Smoke: The ERDM Demi Tasse did not put out a lot of smoke. What little smoke it did produce had a bluish hue. Honestly though, how much smoke can you really expect from a cigar this size? Apparently – not a whole hell of a lot. This was the case for the duration of this short smoke.

First Third: There was nothing special that came with the opening of this cigar. Initially I tasted some sweetness and tobacco flavors. Very mild. I waited for the chocolate and nuttiness that I hear comes with this vitola, but nothing.

Second Third: During this third, there was really no progression to the cigar. Flavors remained the same. Kind of dull. In all honesty…the little sweetness was pleasant, but I was expecting more.

Final Third: The cigar did build in strength during this third. But the flavor profile was still the same. Oh well…nothing ventured, nothing gained. With a little less than an inch left the cigar began to get hot, so I put it down and let it go out.

Burn: This puppy burned pretty fast. I say this because I know that I am a fast smoker, and given the thin ring gauge I took extra care to take it slow. Still this stick turned to ash pretty quickly. Then again…that is what I expected of it and it delivered on this front, but is it wrong to expect a little bit more?

Ash: The ash on the ERDM Demi Tasse was a solid gray. It held up better than I expected, falling off on its own at about 1.5 inches. The remainder held on until I let the cigar go out.

Smoking Time: 20 minutes

Conclusion: All in all, I can't say that I was impressed by this cigar. It never really took off for me. While the flavors were not bad, they were nothing special. I would smoke another if offered to me, but wouldn't buy this cigar of my own volition. I guess that says something when the cigar costs only $3.55 USD. I was looking for a quick smoke, and it delivered on that front, but I still expect my quick smokes to be good. On the latter, the ERDM Demi Tasse did not deliver.

Rating: 84/100

Date of Publication: September 3[sup]rd[/sup], 2009
Written by: David Chen (a.k.a. thechenman)

Great review. To each their own; I'm a big fan of the ERdM Demi Tasse. They're an unsung hero and can be found aged for not a big hit to the wallet. And cheap enough to age on one's own without another big wallet hit. FWIW, I like the ERdM band. It's the Bolivar band I'd like to see done away with. That horrific blurred visage of Simon Bolivar kinda spooks me out. It's like being stared at by Dorian Gray.

Not sure about the new stuff the '86 and '92's have been great!

Nice review!