• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fake Sublime

Marito

So I met this scumbag at the TAA who was trying to seel "real" Sublimes and Padron Millenium to members of our club (he was promptly booted with a do not return stamp on his forehead). In any event, he was handing our samples of his wares and I snagged 1 of each. Here are photos of the fake Sublime and a real Sublime (go to Cigar Discussion) to see the Padron photos. These aren't nearly as good as Moki's, nor do I have dissection photos, but it may be fun for some. So, which do you say is the fake, Left or Right?

1_348.ts1130788306000.jpg

2_348.ts1130788322000.jpg

3_348.ts1130788336000.jpg

I've got to take better photos...that middle one is horrible. Sorry bout that.

I would have to smoke the one on the right to tell you it was fake ;) :whistling: Please send to me asap!

junkman_56 said:
The fake is on the left...
[snapback]244159[/snapback]​
i was thinking the other because of the way the dots on the band on the right one looked, but what do i know?...

The one on the right is fake -- the font is wrong for the Edicion Limitada, and the font is also wrong for the "Cohiba" -- you can see it most easily in the C -- it's like some fakes I spotted a while ago (this is an overlay of the scanned in bands):

fake_cohiba_compare.jpg

...and a scan of the bands (fake is on top, real is on the bottom):

fake_real_cohiba_bands.jpg

After doing a little more research, I will have to reverse my first call.
The one on the right is fake.
It should not have that band at the top and the 2004 is off-center.

edited: Damn moki, you beat me to the punch...

Nothing fake about those Dominicans... trademark infringment, yes, but fake, no......

Matt R said:
Nothing fake about those Dominicans... trademark infringment, yes, but fake, no......
[snapback]244196[/snapback]​

Rubusto???? :)

The right is fake and it was pretty obvious to me atleast. Atleast you weren't fooled by this scumbag!

Although I'm new here and a relative novice... I hope you don't mind my playing the "Spot the Fake".

The one on the right seems the fake. The boarder on the upper band is too thick around the white blocks. On the bottom band the last black bar is not thick enough. The blacks are not dark enough on either of the bands. Lastly, the gold box around COHIBA is too thick on the fake.

Hey, this is fun game. Thanks.

Mark

ya, if you look REAL close, you can see a Hoppy Copy logo on the band on the one on the right :laugh:

Yep Moki, the "C" in Cohiba really stands out, different font. Looks more like a horseshoe with flat ends.

I just got a few fakes (by intention for collecting purposes only) and the first thing I noticed was the thickness of the gold square surrounding the words Cohiba the fake is ofter 2-4 times larger than the real and shows signs of smearing. That outline is hard to do because it's typicaly so fine on the real ones.

So when do we get the official answer? Right or Left?

Again, as I wrote in the Fake Millennium post, I appologize for the S$%@ photos. Yes, the 1 on the right is the fake. A few thoughts:

The fake Sublime has fake fake bands (both the Cohiba and EL band--and they are not very good fakes either). As moki pointed out, the font is wrong on the EL band, and the Cohiba band is way off (almost looks like it was run off on an inkjet.

The real Sublime (left) has a nice mottled maduro wrapper, the fake has a very smooth, natural-looking wrapper. The real Sublime (left) has a characteristic flat top, the fake top is rounded.

Well, hope it was fun, I'll try to improve photo taking skills for future threads.

Great post. This fake wan't that good and it's instructive to see a range of quality in knockoffs.

Thanks, Marito.

Wilkey