• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fantasy Baseball - Roto Style

{tpc}

Professional Poker Tournament Loser
Ok I just spent an hour on a post that got wiped away, so this is going to be a little shorter. Anyone want to do this? I am looking for 11 other folks, for a 12 team league. Cash league, $50 buy in, will be using CBS to run it, so part of buy in goes to pay for that. All of the rest is returned to the league, 4 places with fourth place getting their money back.

I don't have the rules on me, and I don't have another hour to type out the general idea of how this league works right now. But I can post them up tommorrow night. So if you want to do this, the first 11 to post here are in, and if you want to be "tentative" until I put the rules up just say so in your post. I would like to have all buy in's received prior to march 7th so that we can utilize the early bird cbs discount and also get the free gameday audio they offer ($20 value) for all team owners.

It will be a live online draft and I will try to accomodate all as far as dates/times go. I also prefer to draft just prior to the seasons start which I beleive is April 4th. This makes April 1st a good candidate assuming we can set whatever day we want ( I will inquire to cbs about this). Of course I will be in mexico on this day but I can deal with that...I hope. We could do it during the week as well, April 2 or 3rd, or sometime prior.

Anyways, I just need to see if anyone is up for this.

1. {tpc}
2. thefatguy - Tentatively

Ok so I took this to the next step and made a trial league. I will try to have the rules up here by this thursday, so everyone can check it out.

I did find out a couple of things. There is one game on the 28th of march and the rest of the season starts on the 4th of april. Also, we can pick ANY specific day/time we want to do the draft. We can also pick whether we want the season to start on the 28th or the 4th. I really don't care about the 28th as it is only one game anyways, so it only affects a handful of stats, and I would rather have the flexibility to draft past this date.

I am unsure if we start the league on the 28th but draft on the 1st that the stats would be retroactive but I could always ask. I know in the past if say you called me on tuesday morning to make a roster change and I didn't put it through until wednesday (making it a retroactive move) that the stats would show up for the tuesday game, but the start of the season may be different.

Anyways, doesn't matter unless we have a league anyways. We could run the league with as little as 6, but frankly you would need to bump the entry fee up quite a bit to make it worthwhile, because otherwise its meaningless as everyone has studs.

When I first ran this way back when, we had 6 in the first year, then 8, then 10, then 12 for quite a few years. The only reason we stopped is because we had it as a keeper league and at that time allowed trading of future draft picks, and too many dropped out at one time. It was a local league (not cp) back then. I miss doing it, so I thought maybe there are a few here that would be interested.

Ok here are the rules. These are not set in stone and I am willing to switch things up if thats what it takes. However, these are pretty loophole free in my opinion. I am sure there will be some bumps in the road along the way with regards to how CBS handles some things, but I think we can iron it out fairly easily.

Commissioner:
The Commissioner’s post for the following season will be filled at the end of each current season by a vote of the team owners. Each team has one vote. In case of a tie, then the executive committee will vote to break the tie. This season, {tpc} will serve as the commissioner, solely. Commissioners get no break on any fees or expenses. The Commissioner is responsible for the day to day operation of the league and all that encumbers. Decisions by the commissioner are final unless appealed to the Executive Committee.

Executive Committee:
The Executive Committee will consist of no less than three members: Two owners TBD by the commissioner and {tpc} will serve as members of the Executive Committee. Additional members will be appointed if any one or more of the three is not available to make a timely decision.

Appeals:
All decisions of the Commissioner (e.g. trades, eligibility, availability, etc.) are subject to appeal to the Executive Committee. Any appeal must be submitted to the Commissioner within 48 hours of the offending decision/ruling. The Executive Committee will then meet as soon as possible to rule on the appeal. All decisions of the Executive Committee will be made by a secret majority vote. Executive Committee decisions are final and can be appealed one time per year per team to a super majority vote (2/3) of all team owners, with each team having one vote.

Draft:
The draft will be conducted as late as possible prior to the start of the season and adjusted so all team owners can participate. All team owners will mutually agree on a date, time, and place no earlier than one week before Major League Baseball’s regular season play begins. If a date, time, and place cannot be agreed upon then the Commissioner will make said choices.

Draft positions will be determined by a randomization method using CBS Sports software. Each team will then fill out their roster using a snake method until all teams have the allowed amount of players on their team.

A mid –season meeting will be held via email and/or the CP messaging system. This will be used to bring up any rule changes for current year or next and to make sure everyone is confident that the league is running as smoothly as it is should be.

Team Composition:
Each team will be comprised of the following players:

Active Roster:
Catcher (1) First Baseman (2)
Second Baseman (1) Shortstop (1)
Third Baseman (1) Outfielders (4)
Starting Pitchers (5) Relief Pitchers (2)

Inactive Roster:
Reserves (3) IF (1), OF (1) and P (1)

Position players may play in either the American or National Leagues. A player’s position before the start of the season is determined by the position played for 50 or more games the previous season. In the event that a player has played at more than one position for 50 games then the player is eligible for either position. After the start of the season, a player may be eligible for another position once the required minimum of 50 games has been met at that position. Players who are recognized as Designated Hitters (DH) shall have their position for draft purposes be either First Baseman or Outfielder based upon whether that player was mostly an infielder or an outfielder during his last season’s play on the field.

Reserves are players you may use as a bench to substitute for any regular player on your roster (no more than one time per week) or first choice for replacement of regular players placed on the Disabled List (DL). This means the respective slots of the players that were moved remained locked for seven days. May also be traded like any other players on your roster and replaced if they are placed on the Major League Baseball DL.

Note: One time per week means just that. Say player A is inserted for player B on Monday at 12 pm then player A and player B are LOCKED in their positions until The following Monday at 12 pm. Exception: If the newly inserted player is injured you may replace him with a player from the free agent list. The replacement then enjoys the same status as the player he replaced and may be removed when that player was scheduled to be UNLOCKED.

Starting Pitchers BEFORE the draft are those players who have pitched in a starting role the previous season played (in major, minor or college competition) at least (3) games and have NOT made more appearances in relief for that season.

Relief Pitchers BEFORE the draft are those players who have pitched in the role of middle relief, long relief, set-up or as a closer during the previous season played (in major, minor or college competition) at least (3) games and have NOT made more appearances as a starter for that season.

Once a Starting Pitcher has made 5 relief appearances AFTER the draft, that starting pitcher is NOW a relief pitcher and must be moved or dropped accordingly. Once a Relief Pitcher has made 2 starts AFTER the draft, that relief pitcher is NOW a starter and must be moved or dropped accordingly.

Free Agent Pool consists of all Major League Baseball and Minor League players not drafted, reserved, or owned by any team in the league. The players in this pool are available on a first come first serve basis. When a player is released back into the pool, the commissioner must wait at least 24 hours before acquiring this player to allow ample time for other teams to see the move. This only applies to the commissioner. All players’ designation, eligibility, status, position, etc. are subject to review and final determination by the Commissioner.

Supplemental Free Agents are those players who sign contracts to play in the Majors during mid-season. During the first 72-hours after such person has signed a contract, all teams interested in acquiring that player must contact the commissioner. Rights to the player will be given to the team with the worst overall position as of the date that player signed his contract.

Statistics Tracked/Scoring:
Each teams standing will be determined by cumulatively rating all Active Players on a team’s roster in a number of offensive and pitching categories. Those statistics that will be followed will be:

Offensive: Batting Average (AVE)
Home Runs (HR)
Stolen Bases (SB)
Runs Batted In (RBI)
Total Bases (TB)
Runs (R)

Pitching: Wins (W)
Saves (SV)
Strike Outs (SO)
Earned Run Average (ERA)
Innings Pitched (IP)
WHIP (WHIP)

Points for each statistical category will be awarded based upon a teams standing in that category using a 6x6 rotisserie method as shown above. Example: In a six-team league, the team whose players (while active) have accumulated the most HRs will get six points. The team with the second most HRs will get five points, third place four points, and so on.

Transactions & Trades:
Transactions are moves by which a team drops a player from their roster and selects a new player from the free agent pool. The new player begins to collect statistics towards that team immediately, unless the dropped player has already begun play for that day in which case the old player would continue to collect statistics for that day and the new player would start the following day. Under no circumstances can a team be credited with both players’ statistics for that same day. Each team is allotted 3 transactions per half season. Any transactions not used per half will be lost at the end of that half. Bonus transactions can be gained by trading players up to a maximum of three per half; more about this will be said under “Trades”.

Replacements for players placed on Major League Baseball’s Disabled List (DL) are available from either a team’s bench or from the free agent pool. If a replacement for an injured starting player is made from a team’s bench then the position previously held by the player on the bench may be filled with a player from the free agent pool until the injured player is reactivated off the DL. Until the player is reactivated in you’re starting lineup, on your bench, or dropped the injured player remains property of that team for fourteen days. On the fifteenth day, if the free agent replacement has not been signed by dropping a player to sign him, then the free agent player will be released back into the free agent pool and the formerly injured player will be placed in the position of the replacement automatically.

Trades occur when two or more teams agree to exchange draft picks and/or players on their respective rosters. All trades must be approved by the commissioner. Once a team trades a particular player, that player cannot return back to his original team for at least one calendar year. Teams are allowed an unlimited number of trades during the season until the trading deadline at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on August 31[sup]st[/sup]. To encourage trades, each team participating in a trade will be given one Bonus Transaction for each player or draft pick traded. These bonus transactions may be used like, and in addition to, the regular transactions described in “Transactions”. Additionally, ½ of any unused bonus transactions (rounded up) will carryover from the first half of the season to the second half of the season. However, a team’s carryover plus regular transactions have a maximum of 6 total for each half. This means the maximum number of transactions you can make in each half is 6, regardless of how many players you may have traded. Regular transactions will be assessed first and once exhausted then bonus transactions will be applied to a team’s moves. There is no carryover from one year to the next.

Rocker Rule--If a regular roster player is suspended or demoted to the minors during the season the team holding his rights can place him on "Inactive Service". This costs 1 move and works like the DL replacements. This would allow a team to keep his rights but still fill the roster spot. When the player comes back up to the majors or serves out his suspension, his return is treated like a DL return. The team has 14 days to reactivate or it becomes automatic and the added player is released. If the suspension extended beyond end of the current season, you could still protect that player but if the suspension ran into the start of the next season & you wanted a replacement it would still cost you a move at the beginning of next season to buy a replacement player (even if you "bought" one the previous season). Likewise if you draft a suspended player you may buy a temp replacement - cost is one move. Again, this may only be used for a "Suspended or Demoted" player.

Entry Fees, Prizes & Charges:
The franchise or entry fee for each team is $50. Part of this fee will be used to pay for the CBS Sports commissioner service with the rest going into the prize pool.

Prize money from the Prize Pool will be divided among the top three teams at season’s end on the following basis:

First Place - 40% of Pool
Second Place - 30% of Pool
Third Place * - 20% of Pool
Forth Place ** - 10% of Pool

* - (So long as there are at least six teams competing. If less than six teams competing the Pool is divided between First Place – 2/3 and Second Place – 1/3 with no Third Place prize share.)

** - (So long as there are at least ten teams competing. If less than ten teams competing the Pool is divided between First Place – 50%, Second Place – 35%, and Third Place – 15%.)

Miscellaneous:
To better and more efficiently operate the league, each team must maintain and provide the following information to the league’s commissioner:
  1. Daytime Telephone Number
  2. Nighttime Telephone Number
  3. E-Mail Address

Note: Remember, if you do not speak directly with the commissioner, time dating on transaction communications will be used to determine the exact date and time of transmission of communication. The more info you communicate the less chance of a mistake or dispute.

Ok, I know it can be a bit much to take in all at once (you should have seen the rules with the keeper stuff added in :p). If it seems too complicated I am more than willing to step it down a notch install some default options giving more control back to the owner.

The reason for locking it down as much as it is has to do with the owner that maybe doesn't have computer access all the time or isn't as "fervish" about running thier team. But CBS is very customisable and I am willing to do whatever it may take to get 10 more people in. Remember, if your a baseball fan, you will get free gameday audio which is a $20 value, so in essence your buy in is only $30 but you stand to win as if the buy in was $50. :)

Seems like we got enough views but nobody is seriously interested? I could do some legwork around here and probably scrape up some local folks to round out a league, but I rather only go that route as a last resort.

So what am I doing wrong? It is really not as complicated a system as it seems. The thought behind it is that you want folks to draft wisely and that you don't want to handicap the folks that aren't willing to sit at the computer 24/7 constantly switching people in and out, but also give a little more control than a "weekly" lineup would give.

Ok I guess this isn't happening. Either its me, too soon, because it is roto, or noone likes baseball....whatever the reason, 118 view and no responses save for one person tells me there is no interest. My apologies to thefatguy. If something changes I'll let ya know.

Monty --- I'm sure others feel this way as well. I am already in one with folks from work and frankly one is all i can stand. In my opinion, head to head is all about the draft....if you draft poor, don't quite grasp all aspects of the rules, and/or just don't fall into some "lucky" talent players, you lose. Sure you can struggle through and might make a go of it for half a season, but in the end you give up because there is little hope of coming back....the season is just too long.

In roto however, I think it gives you the opportunity to shake your team up and adjust....if you drafted poorly for home runs, you can correct it through free agency and trades for example. It has to do with the cumalative nature of things...sure you can get behind in a category here or there but if your not too far behind, you won't ever be out of it. Thats what I like about it...always some hope.

In every h2h league i've been in, its been teams dropping out and extremely hard to trade with other teams because they are too locked in on a week to week basis. Sure some roto leagues can be hard to trade in, but its much easier to the see the argument in a trade when you are looking at it for the long term.

Honestly Ive only played in one roto league and this is my tenth H2H season. I just don't like compiling stats like that. All your sentiments about why people quit early or how its tough to come back are the same I usually give for why I like H2H :laugh: . I'm sure I could be completely off but there's something about h2h that I'm stuck on. I'm also an espn fan.

To each their own I guess. I would say that in this roto league, the way the rules are set, it really gives everyone a fair shake. I've played in some where its a free for all, add/drops unrestricted or monitored, trades never reviewed....and those suck. That is way we limit moves (free agent AND weekly lineup changes) and reward trading (which is course is scrutinized). There is no lopsided deals, only fair trades are allowed.

All of these things work in together to keep the everyday manager happy as well as the every week type of manager happy. I've seen guys hardly do anything at all, all year and still make a run of it. Of course you still have your guys that monitor every day and end up in the bottom half but with this format, you are never truly out.

Anyways, not trying to convince you hehe, but at least thanks for expressing your...non-interest? LOL

Thanks for putting in the effort. I was actually looking forward to this league, I've only done H2H, oh well.

To each their own I guess. I would say that in this roto league, the way the rules are set, it really gives everyone a fair shake. I've played in some where its a free for all, add/drops unrestricted or monitored, trades never reviewed....and those suck. That is way we limit moves (free agent AND weekly lineup changes) and reward trading (which is course is scrutinized). There is no lopsided deals, only fair trades are allowed.

All of these things work in together to keep the everyday manager happy as well as the every week type of manager happy. I've seen guys hardly do anything at all, all year and still make a run of it. Of course you still have your guys that monitor every day and end up in the bottom half but with this format, you are never truly out.

Anyways, not trying to convince you hehe, but at least thanks for expressing your...non-interest? LOL

:laugh: Sorry man, It wasn't my intention to troll your league. I was just throwing it out there that I'd be interested if it was an espn H2H :D

No worries, I was just glad to see you bumped the topic!! :D