• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

FDA Regulation

w00ts!te

Go GREEN! Go WHITE!
Got this in an email from Holts today.

Help Exempt Premium Cigars From FDA Regulation!
H.R. 1639 / S. 1461 - Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act
Whereas on April 26, 2010, December 20, 2010, and July 7, 2011 the U.S. Food & Drug Administration publicly posted their intent to regulate cigars in the Federal Register, it is incumbent upon the cigar enthusiasts of the United States to voice their opposition to any proposed new regulation of premium/traditional cigars by the United States Government.
House Resolution 1639 has been filed in the U.S. House of Representatives; and a companion bill, Senate Bill 1461, has been filed in the Senate. Both are filed under the banner of the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act. This bi-partisan legislation would decree that premium/traditional cigars should be off limits to FDA regulation and, 'to clarify the Food & Drug Administration's jurisdiction' in the 'sale, manufacturing and distribution of traditional and premium cigars.'
Such legislation could have a profound impact on protecting the industry, from the fields and factories of Central America , to the supply-chain throughout this nation, to the community tobacconist, to enjoying a cigar in the local shop, club or back porch.
We can assure you, nothing could rip the soul of the cigar industry apart, like FDA actions. For example, some of the (again) hypothetical possibilities, but that are not beyond the realm of reason include: No more walk in humidors (Canadian model); Limits on advertising and promotions; Banning the very word cigar or tobacco; Manufacturers having to submit blends to FDA for "testing," before heading to your local shop - imagine the impact on boutique cigar makers; Adverse impact on flavored tobacco products; And price impact due to new fees on manufacturers. This, is the short list.

http://capwiz.com/cigarrights/issues/alert/?alertid=54019671

I received this as well. I went through the process to e-mail my representatives. Today I received a response (no doubt automated) from one of them. While he supports our freedom to have government stay out of American's business he was concerned by the possibility of increased health care costs associated with tobacco use that other Americans would end up footing the bill for in the future. This led to to a few thoughts. I really can't think of too many people (please correct me if you feel otherwise) that consistently smoke premium cigars that don't have their own health insurance. Finally those of us who have made the choice to explore our passion are well aware of the potential risks involved. More importantly we aren't trying to hook anyone else for costs due to health concerns that may arise later in life, regardless of what health problems we may encounter (broken hips, erectile dysfunction, ect). I curious to hear about responses that other people receive.

I got an email about too from one of my vendors. Rather than use the pre-made email from CRA, I wrote my own template (just changed the names and whether it was the House or Senate bill I was referring to) and sent emails to my senators and my rep. Only one email back so far and it didn't really say anything except just regurgitate the summary of the bill and not say whether he was supporting it or not. Meh, oh well. At least I did my part and hope handmade cigars will get that exemption from FDA regs.

I know this topic has another thread on it, but I'm too lazy tonight to link it. I did, however, email my rep and her response was pretty much, "thank you blah, blah, blah, BUT Hawaii has some of the most aggressive tobacco laws to keep the kids blah, blah, blah and NO I won't support you. FUCK her! I won't help put you in office for another election term. I'm sure she is voting towards the viewpoint of those that think tobacco is the most evil plant on the planet, and I'd say she didn't have any balls, but

she doesn't. :laugh:

Anyways, I tried the nice way as suggested. I've been stocking up cigars since the words SCHIP came into play a couple of years ago and although I haven't been smoking cigars as long as some members here, I WILL have enough to last me till I'm an old man at my current smoking speed. When the Zombie Apocalypse comes, I'll be smoking cigars and killing as many of them as I can. ;)

I feel for our business owners and employees because they are doing something they love and providing for themselves, no one wants to get a new job they don't like waking up going to.

Someone has a slogan posted, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a gov't agency". I like that freedom to have them even though I don't drink nor own a gun.

<rant off> Dave

I received an e-mail today from the CRA with a request to join. I know that 4cbin3 mentioned there was another thread along the lines of this one however when searching for it I was unable to find it. My apologies if this is a duplicate post. I remember seeing someone's profile picture being the CRA logo if I'm not mistaken. Has anyone joined? If so what has been your experience. I noticed it was only $35/year and even cheaper if you do multiple years or a lifetime membership. I'm very comfortable donating the cost of a couple decent sticks to help support something I believe in. Reminds me of the P.P.A (Poker Players Alliance) that I joined a few years ago. The PPA however never offered to send me "Two Exclusive Premium Cigars" for joining though. :)

Someone has a slogan posted, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a gov't agency". I like that freedom to have them even though I don't drink nor own a gun.

<rant off> Dave
....don't worry, Dave; I've got them all covered, in spades... :p