• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fidel Retiring...

The U.S. according to reports is going to continue the embargo. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Most people think quality of cigars will fall if the embargo is lifted, but I think that's only initial. I think the US demand will eventually decrease some and quality of cigars will improve. We'll have to wait and see.

First off, LOVE THE AVTAR DUDE!!!!

The U.S. according to reports is going to continue the embargo. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Most people think quality of cigars will fall if the embargo is lifted, but I think that's only initial. I think the US demand will eventually decrease some and quality of cigars will improve. We'll have to wait and see.

I'd guess that no matter what the US Gov't expects to happen, they'll say "The Embargo will continue" anyway as a "Bargaining ploy".

As for the quality of cigars, it may be longer than "initial". Depends of course on demand, and I can see "Cuban smokes now legal in the US" creating a kind of mini-cigar boom. That would probably last quite a few years.

Think about it this way, multiply all the cigar stores in the US now being able to order these by the demand. How many do you think it would take to stock and supply the initial demand, lets just say for the first year? As a guesstimate off the top of my head I'd say 2-3 years (or more) worth of production. How long will it take them (the Cuban manufacturers) to catch up with that demand?

Now, with that demand, will they keep current production rates and their current level of quality control (which some say isn't that great anyway)? I sure hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it.

But wouldn't the fact that NC cigars improving their quality and taste make the Cubans step up their game in order to compete? Hypothetically speaking of course because I don't expect anything to change either, but if Cubans did become legal you could expect a glut for a short time. But if quality suffered in order to meet demand, that demand would diminsh once the shine wore off, so to speak. Or am I way off base here? I just think that the American market is getting good cigars and wouldn't support an inferior product just because of the country of origin.

I think we would see a mini cigar boom like in the 90's to cater to the US. All of the pimps, hustlers and trick-daddy's from that era will be back in the game pushing pretty packaging dog rockets. Something along the line of: "Genuine post-embargo counterfit Cuban cigars". John

I think we would see a mini cigar boom like in the 90's to cater to the US. All of the pimps, hustlers and trick-daddy's from that era will be back in the game pushing pretty packaging dog rockets. Something along the line of: "Genuine post-embargo counterfit Cuban cigars". John

I agree with the above. I think we would see a lot more counterfit Cuban Cigars.

The folks who gave Lew a couple hundred bucks some years back to reserve their post-embargo boxes must be doin' a peepee dance right now.

I think they'll have to wait a bit longer.

But wouldn't the fact that NC cigars improving their quality and taste make the Cubans step up their game in order to compete? ....snip

Yes and no!!

Personally, I believe there are many "Domestic" smokes out there that compare or exceed many ISOMs (my opinion only, not intending this to become a debate) and I believe there are many others who feel the same. So by that statement, do enough people believe NCs are better to make the Cubans care?

From what I understand, many Cuban factories are already producing at their limit as it is, so do they need to, or even ........... do they care?

Thanks, Newfie. When I say initial I was thinking 2-3 years. The U.S. is not going to be cigar friendly anytime soo so that will counteract, some of that demand. As well as these BS taxbills trying to be passed.

quote]I just think that the American market is getting good cigars and wouldn't support an inferior product just because of the country of origin.[[/quote]

I totally agree, so I really think the end of the embargo might do so good. Politically, I don't think much will change. Fidel and his supporters are probably going to have a strong say in his replacement. We shall see.

But wouldn't the fact that NC cigars improving their quality and taste make the Cubans step up their game in order to compete? Hypothetically speaking of course because I don't expect anything to change either, but if Cubans did become legal you could expect a glut for a short time. But if quality suffered in order to meet demand, that demand would diminsh once the shine wore off, so to speak. Or am I way off base here? I just think that the American market is getting good cigars and wouldn't support an inferior product just because of the country of origin.

I very much doubt your last statement. Every idiot I know who has never smoked a cigar in their life wants to smoke "a Cuban cigar" -- the caché and mystique is there in full force, made even worse by decades of forbidden fruit syndrome.

I do agree with some of the other sentiments you expressed, though.

I very much doubt your last statement. Every idiot I know who has never smoked a cigar in their life wants to smoke "a Cuban cigar" -- the caché and mystique is there in full force, made even worse by decades of forbidden fruit syndrome.

I wish I could have said that (bolded statement above).

Very true and well stated, and quite possibly the exact reason some people prefer ANY ISOM to a premium Domestic.

Very true and well stated, and quite possibly the exact reason some people prefer ANY ISOM to a premium Domestic.
Very true. I have a firend who will "only smoke cubans". And the one time I actually saw him with a Cuban cigar he not only passed it around like a Joint but acted like he was in the VIP Room drinking Cristal. It was kind of funny. I'm definatly have plans to slip him some dog rockets with out the bands just to relive the situation.

Very true. I have a firend who will "only smoke cubans". And the one time I actually saw him with a Cuban cigar he not only passed it around like a Joint but acted like he was in the VIP Room drinking Cristal. It was kind of funny. I'm definatly have plans to slip him some dog rockets with out the bands just to relive the situation.

Cristal does not pair well with a cigar :p

:cool:

Do you think the demand would be sustained though? I agree that the market would be flooded at the onset with every idiot wanting Cubans (heck, I've got the Forbidden Fruit syndrome since I don't smoke them) but if the quality dropped off compared to NC's, then would the demand still be there 5 years down the road? Would there be privitization of the Cuban brands? Would that affect quality/availability?

I wonder when the embargo is lifted (who knows when that'll be) how long it takes for the cash influx to get the quality back, my (pretty uneducated) take is the cash to do things like they should be done is not there, currently.

I wonder when the embargo is lifted (who knows when that'll be) how long it takes for the cash influx to get the quality back, my (pretty uneducated) take is the cash to do things like they should be done is not there, currently.

Hard to say gator. I guess it depends on how long the mini-boom lasts. One thing though, we all know the basic law of Economics and prices, "Supply vs demand". I fear there may come a time when many guys in the US who seem to have a decent supply of ISOMs may wish for the embargo again, because of higher prices for less of poor quality smokes. I sure as hell hope it doesn't happen, but you're guess is as good as mine.

One more thing too. I've often wondered how much more farmland is available for tobacco, currently not in use. That may become a factor too.

I sure hope that Raul doesn't say that his favorite cigar is the Bolivar marca... not really interested in paying double what they are going for right now.