• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Flan!!

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
I've made flan over the years from a few recipes I received belonging to family members on my brother Joey's wife's side of the family, they're from Puerto Rico and cook some of the most amazing food I've ever eaten! What inspired me was I went online shopping for a new meat thermometer and landed on America's Test Kitchen website and saw a flan recipe on their lead page. I hadn't made it in a while and this recipe seemed so simple that anyone can do it. I followed it exactly.

Here's the recipe as it is on their website...

This recipe should be made at least one day before serving. We recommend an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan for this recipe. If your pan is 9 by 5 inches, begin checking for doneness at 1 hour. You may substitute 2 percent milk for the whole milk, but do not use skim milk. Serve the flan on a platter with a raised rim to contain the liquid caramel.

INGREDIENTS
  • 2/3cup (4 2/3 ounces) sugar
  • 2large eggs plus 5 yolks
  • 1(14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1(12-ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 1/2cup whole milk
  • 1 1/2tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2teaspoon salt
INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. 1. Stir together sugar and 1/4 cup water in medium heavy saucepan until sugar is completely moistened. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, 3 to 5 minutes, and cook, without stirring, until mixture begins to turn golden, another 1 to 2 minutes. Gently swirling pan, continue to cook until sugar is color of peanut butter, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and swirl pan until sugar is reddish-amber and fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Carefully swirl in 2 tablespoons warm tap water until incorporated; mixture will bubble and steam. Pour caramel into 8 1/2 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan; do not scrape out saucepan. Set loaf pan aside.

NOTE: DON’T LET THE CARAMEL STICK TO THE PAN
    The rich layer of caramel on top of flan is the best part of the dessert—except when most of it sticks to the pan like glue. Adding a couple of tablespoons of water to the syrup after it’s caramelized will dissolve some of the sugar and keep it runny. In addition, resting the flan overnight allows moisture from the custard to dissolve more of the sugar, ensuring that most of the caramel will release from the pan (and that what’s left in the pan is soft and easy to remove).
    F2E52102-3CE6-473A-B00C-E890DFFC6638_zpsyrf0bnfg.jpg

2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Line bottom of 13 by 9-inch baking pan with dish towel, folding towel to fit smoothly, and set aside. Bring 2 quarts water to boil.

3. Whisk eggs and yolks in large bowl until combined. Add sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, whole milk, vanilla, and salt and whisk until incorporated. Strain mixture through fine-mesh strainer into prepared loaf pan.
    647D5609-5037-4AE4-BF1C-CC49E62A8E85_zpsxtyrhy7a.jpg

Just pour it into the loaf pan....

A7454532-8708-47CC-A581-71D54B838C94_zpsiav6mbzs.jpg

4. Cover loaf pan tightly with aluminum foil and place in prepared baking pan. Place baking pan in oven and carefully pour all of boiling water into pan. Bake until center of custard jiggles slightly when shaken and custard registers 180 degrees, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and leave custard in water bath until loaf pan has cooled completely. Remove loaf pan from water bath, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and chill overnight or up to 4 days.

0369F3E5-9C3C-444C-9107-895DA8FE51A0_zpsdkfudheu.jpg

5. To unmold, slide paring knife around edges of pan. Invert serving platter on top of pan and turn pan and platter over. When flan is released, remove loaf pan. Using rubber spatula, scrape residual caramel onto flan. Slice and serve. (Leftover flan may be covered loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 4 days.)

C71556E7-19D6-489D-9B50-C15EDEDCF549_zpsgdpqtdtn.jpg

B7E2340C-8E21-4D9E-A182-08C686D8567D_zpsvii5ezta.jpg

I have to say that this was the best flan I've ever made...and the easiest I've ever made. The caramel top had just the right amount of roasted, nuttiness to the flavor and the custard was rich and creamy, but not runny at all. That always seemed to me my challenge...having the flan remain firm but still have that nice creamy mouthfeel when you ate it. This recipe did that in spades.

With the holidays on us, I figured this would be a great time to post this so you guys can surprise your guests with a desert that is easily made and tastes so freakin' good!

Reactions: MX
That is one nice flan
in a pan
Man!!!!