• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Flights to Cuba from Miami

theebug

BOTL,
As a Dual citizen (Irish and US), I was considering flying from Miami to Cuba. Out of curiosity, I was looking for listing on flights and none came up. In fact, it was as though they were being blocked by my service provider.

Maybe it was my ignorance in searching but:

1) Has anyone else experienced this?
2) Does anyone know what airline flies from Miami to Havana?

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on travel agencies that specialize in these types of flights?

I may be wrong, but I would think your US citizenship, regardless of holding dual citizenship, prevents you from flying to Cuba for pleasure.

Depends on which passport he uses.

The flying from Miami might not work though.

While it may get him on the plane, I think the State Department will have something to say about an American citizen visiting Cuba....no matter how many other citizenship's he or she may have.

Anyone can "technically" go to Cuba on a direct flight from Miami or elsewhere if they hold US Citizenship. The only requirement is that you visit a "relative" and provide the "address" of that "person". Then you must sign an affidavid(sp?) that what you say is true an correct. The airline charter companies provide this affidavid(sp?). You will also be required to purchase a Visa ($50) to enter Cuba. The airline can provide that as well. Upon your return you will likely get a WTF? are you doing in Cuba interrogation from US Immigration and US Customs as there ain't too many Yanks going down there without a purpose. Anymore Q?'s send me a message. MIA/HAV RT is about $400 and can go higher at peak. Bahamasair has a MIA-NAS-HAV RT flight for $479. John

I was planning (hypothetically) to travel on my Irish/EU passport. I would not be traveling as a US citizen so I would not go through the same customs line.

Appreciate the input on this. Just wondering if it is possible and what the hurdles are. I am planning on going to the Cuba Embassy in NYC
to ask some questions as well.

I would think your issue would be coming back into the US. I would think there may be issues with you coming back into the US to live on your EU passport. The State Department says if you are leaving the US you must leave and return on your US passport linky.

A possible way around this would be to travel to Ireland on your US passport, then travel to Cuba on your EU passport, but I'm not even sure that would work. Bottom line is being a dual citizen you have to obey the laws of both Countries in which you are a citizen and the US doesn't allow travel to Cuba except for very specific circumstances.

Thanks for all the info on this. Definitely made me think (as always).

I new it would be too good to be true....