• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Founders Brewing Co. - Devil Dancer, Triple IPA...

davidr2340

Craft Beer Lover...
:love:

I recieved a VERY generous package from Pete (ThankYouForNotSmoking) in the BIF Pass that Jonas started.

I decided today was the day to finally try one of 'em!!! :thumbs:

My selection was the Founders Devil Dancer. A Triple IPA, packing quite a punch @ 13% ABV!!! It is dry-hopped for 26 day with 10 different varieties of hops (From BA)!!!
I decided to pair it up with a Carlos Torano 1916 gifted to me by none other than Jonesy (Thanks again bro!!!)

8-28-07027.jpg

8-28-07028.jpg

Appearance - This beer pours a beautiful cherry amber color. Not a ton of head, and pretty minimal lacing.

Smell - The first thing I figured I'd be smelling was overpowering hops, but no... Roasted caramel maltiness. The hops are there for sure though. Boy, you can smell the "13% abv"!!! :blush:

Taste - IMO, this beer is very well balanced between the hops and the maltiness. It reminds me very much of a Barleywine! The alcohol creates a nice warming!

Mouthfeel - I'd say this beer is pretty full bodied, not a ton of carbonation.

Drinkability - Goes down very easy, but you probably don't want to drink more than one or two. A sipping beer for sure!!!
Go easy on the review fellas... I'm still a "NEWB"!!! :blush:

Overall, I'd say that this beer is near the top of my all time favorites... And of course, not be found around these parts!!! Oh well...
Pete, I just want to say thanks for giving me the chance to give this "monster" a go!!! :thumbs:
Jonas, I want to give you a big thanks bro for giving me a chance to take part in the BIF PASS!!!

Cheers!!!

That beer sounds killer. It's funny that I had my first Founders beer last night as well. A coworker brought me a bottle of the Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale from a trip he took. It was a total malt bomb.

I like those Torano 1916s. Good Cameroon. I've smoked a couple of the coronas recently.

Glad you liked it, now, if I could only get Founders down here in Tennessee...

Michigan beer, how I miss you...

I'm a big fan of IPA's and this one sounds great!! I drink a lot of Stones IPA and Lagunitas IPA, both West Coast IPA's.

You'd think that this one would be a hop bomb, the kind you can smell from 5' away but it sounds and looks like they have a dark malt in the brew to take the hoppy edge off. I don't think that I've had a beer at 13% alcohol and I'm thinking that the beer would have to have a lot going on for the taste to overcome the alcohol level.

After reading your review I was feeling a little thirsty so I googled Founders and unfortunatley can't find a local source is So Cal. I'm sure if it's that good, it'll show up eventually.

Thanks for posting the review!

Wasnt the hoppy and bitterness of the TIPA affecting your taste bud for your cigar and vice versa?

I try to stay away from IPA when smoking.

Wasnt the hoppy and bitterness of the TIPA affecting your taste bud for your cigar and vice versa?

I try to stay away from IPA when smoking.

Not so much... The hops don't overpower this beer, IMO.
Then again, I am still a newbie to most of this!!! :blush:

I don't think that I've had a beer at 13% alcohol and I'm thinking that the beer would have to have a lot going on for the taste to overcome the alcohol level.
Just need a decent malt backbone. Look around for some barleywines, they'll range in the 8-12+% range.

Not so much... The hops don't overpower this beer, IMO.
Then again, I am still a newbie to most of this!!! :blush:

I've had that brew a few times, I'll agree that although it definately is hoppy its not on par with a Ruination or something like that.

You'd think that this one would be a hop bomb, the kind you can smell from 5' away but it sounds and looks like they have a dark malt in the brew to take the hoppy edge off. I don't think that I've had a beer at 13% alcohol and I'm thinking that the beer would have to have a lot going on for the taste to overcome the alcohol level.

Actually no, in my experience with beer, some at 20-22% alcohol, the presence. flavours and taste of alcohol are totally not present, and even in some brew at 6% you actually feel and taste of the alcohol. Also in most extreme american micro brews, most of the high content alcohol beers you will not noticed the alcohol at all, unlike some belgian per exemple where you will feel it, either in taste or in warmness.

Picked one up today and am sipping on it right now. Great hop aroma, complex nose. Sweet, strong malt backbone with bitterness and alcohol finish. Well balanced for a beer of this proportion. Reminds me very much of 120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head (at a much better price). Very enjoyable beer if you are a confirmed hophead. I am going to have to get some more for aging.

As I continued to drink this and the beer warmed, the aroma kept getting better and better. The flavor "improved" as well. I use quotes because I don't think it improved per se as much as my palate got tuned in more. I think the flavor opened up more with the warming of the beer.