• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Friends who insist on dipping cigars

Bu11dog

So I have this friend who says we have to go smoke one of these days. Thing is he keeps telling me how I just have to dip my cigar into some scotch or cognac etc. I'm still new after only a year or so of cigars but I went through the acid stage at the beginning and now prefer just tobacco flavors in my cigars.
Any one else have this problem, it just seems to me the tobacco would get soggy and nasty!

I've had it suggested to me, but meh. It's the same as the super sweet flavor they put on the end of acids, except alcohol instead, to each his own though.

I have never seen anyone do that before.

I have some co-workers that claim they do that every time they smoke a cigar. But then again, those are the same co-workers when asked what type of cigars they like, they answer, "I don't know. The ones that smell good."

I had a friend like that, but I got rid of him!

I met one guy in Cuba who paid $45 CUP for a box of Esplindidos (real thing of course:rolleyes:). He'd stand around one of the bars every afternoon and evening with one of those cigars and a full glass of booze (Scotch I assume) and before EVERY draw he's dip the head into the glass. It was funny to watch him try to get a draw out if it 20 minutes into the smoke. I thought his head was going to implode he was sucking so hard on it.

I have never done this.

My Dad smoked Italian dry cured cigars and occasionally, I saw him quickly dip his cigar into something like anisette, or some other same class of sweet booze. He often chewed on them while working in the machine shop, or playing the drums.

If I had some "Toscani" I would probably try it to see just what he was experiencing. I knew him far too short a time.

I am new but just my opinion as I am a purest and would rather taste the cigar for what it is than dip it anything that would change the flavor and or anything that could make the cap pull apart from the head. But that is just my opinion on it.

I've heard a lot of guys do this, tried it once with some scotch and it wasn't for me. The taste of the booze overpowers the cigar.

One of my fathers' friends does it. All it seems to do is get tobacco in a nice shot/glass of scotch!! Another friend of mine puts both ends of the cigar in his mouth to wet the wrapper.....

I think back in the day cigars may not have been cared for with humidors, and thus being fairly dry needed some moisture added. That is my only theory.

I had a friend like that, but I got rid of him!

He's got a pickup that I borrow, gotta keep him around ;)

I met one guy in Cuba who paid $45 CUP for a box of Esplindidos (real thing of course:rolleyes:). He'd stand around one of the bars every afternoon and evening with one of those cigars and a full glass of booze (Scotch I assume) and before EVERY draw he's dip the head into the glass. It was funny to watch him try to get a draw out if it 20 minutes into the smoke. I thought his head was going to implode he was sucking so hard on it.

Now that would have been entertaining!

Never tried it and probably wont. I did however give a friend who doesn't smoke very much a Vegas A the other day. I turned around to get my cutter and when I looked back he was licking all over the damn thing. Probably wont be doing that anytime soon either.

I was sitting next to some guy at a poker table in the Borgata, and since he couldn't smoke at the table, he just kept dipping his cigar in cognac and putting it in his mouth. I gave him a hard time about it for hours (and took his money).

One of my fathers' friends does it. All it seems to do is get tobacco in a nice shot/glass of scotch!! Another friend of mine puts both ends of the cigar in his mouth to wet the wrapper.....

I think back in the day cigars may not have been cared for with humidors, and thus being fairly dry needed some moisture added. That is my only theory.
Yup that's it. Before CA and it's contrived cigar boom, we old fellas managed to muddle along without their magazine and cigar message boards. Without $40 cutters. Without $150 dollar lighters and without humidors. But then, going to the tobacconist was a much different experience. I just don't know how we managed to survive, licking cigars and dipping them in Cognac.

Doc.

I would think that dipping the cigar in alcohol, much like getting too much saliva on it, would harshen the cigar by trapping the tars.

I did this once to try to correct wrapper tearing, I don't think it helped that much.

Never tried it and probably wont. I did however give a friend who doesn't smoke very much a Vegas A the other day. I turned around to get my cutter and when I looked back he was licking all over the damn thing. Probably wont be doing that anytime soon either.

A friend of mine does that to. It's unsettling to say the least.

Dip the head in liquor....?? Yeah, I've seen guys do it but it just seems wrong on so many levels......never would.

I am one of the folks that wets the wrapper before smoking outside when the RH is low. But, the rule there is not the cap, not the foot. I always cut after the wrapper gets wetted; sure prevents wrappers from splitting when the RH and temps are low.

Cheers - B.B.S.

I saw a friend do that this weekend. To make matters worse, I gave him the Scotch and the cigar!