• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Garden Thread

Set-In-Stone

The Dude Abides
I notice every year there are people looking to talk about vegetable/herb gardens. I figured it would be easy to just always post in one thread so that people have a central location to discuss gardening and things alike. Concentrating all the great discussions to one thread can be very beneficial to those interested in reading/participating.

Today I have started my seeds indoors again this year after much success last year... Helps me pass the time while I wait for the warmer weather. I am from upstate NY and in planting zone 5 so starting seeds indoors is a must. Unless you don't mind the ridiculous prices at the nurseries...

This year I am attempting the Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper)... I read it's difficult to grow in the colder/shorter seasons, but I am determined! I also have started the following peppers: Cali- Wonder, Habanero mix, Hot Cherry, Jalapeno, and Cubanella.
I have also started some more Lavender, and Eggplant. It will be another 8-10 weeks before they get transplanted outside in the raised beds.

I have been contemplating starting some Asparagus root this year. Has anyone ever grown Asparagus that can offer some advice ? Thanks fellow Green Thumbs ! Happy gardening . . . . :thumbs:

My wife is growing something on the window sill and turned over several square meters in the yard.

I usually plant a few banana pepper plants and a few tomato plants. The deer love them! :)

Tomatoes, lots of tomatoes. There is more than corn in Indiana :whistling: !

Going to do raised beds this year. I have had problems with the soil in my garden for over 10 years (Ohio clay) even after adding supplements to it every year.

With the cost of oil rising almost everyday, your fruits and vegetables are most likely going to be more expensive this year and makes "growing your own" more important.

Good luck to all.

Going to do raised beds this year. I have had problems with the soil in my garden for over 10 years (Ohio clay) even after adding supplements to it every year.

With the cost of oil rising almost everyday, your fruits and vegetables are most likely going to be more expensive this year and makes "growing your own" more important.

Good luck to all.

Couldn't agree with you more.... I am a firm believer in raised beds. Especially for people in the 'Northern Zones' with shorter growing seasons. Having raised bed allows you to plant earlier and harvest much later. Having them in raised beds helps promote healthy root systems with plenty of room to grow and has its advantages with draining heavy rains... My plants tend to do very well in the raised beds as my near neighbors plants don't seem to produce as much or look as healthy when planted directly in the ground. For the 'urban' gardener, IMHO, this is the way to go.

Here are a few pics of my raised bed me and my father built, along with a basket of veggies that seemed to be the norm every few days:
gallery_13416_1483_12969.jpg
gallery_13416_1483_2809.jpg

gallery_13416_1483_78815.jpg

I notice every year there are people looking to talk about vegetable/herb gardens. I figured it would be easy to just always post in one thread so that people have a central location to discuss gardening and things alike. Concentrating all the great discussions to one thread can be very beneficial to those interested in reading/participating.

Today I have started my seeds indoors again this year after much success last year... Helps me pass the time while I wait for the warmer weather. I am from upstate NY and in planting zone 5 so starting seeds indoors is a must. Unless you don't mind the ridiculous prices at the nurseries...

This year I am attempting the Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper)... I read it's difficult to grow in the colder/shorter seasons, but I am determined! I also have started the following peppers: Cali- Wonder, Habanero mix, Hot Cherry, Jalapeno, and Cubanella.
I have also started some more Lavender, and Eggplant. It will be another 8-10 weeks before they get transplanted outside in the raised beds.

I have been contemplating starting some Asparagus root this year. Has anyone ever grown Asparagus that can offer some advice ? Thanks fellow Green Thumbs ! Happy gardening . . . . :thumbs:

I think I started my Ghost Peppers sometime in March last year. They didn't start ripening until late October into November and we had an incredibly hot summer and warm fall, like 114 on one day in particular. I started a lot of what I plan to grow on Sunday including Ghost Peppers. I was thinking I should have started them in January but I just didn't get it done.

This will be the third year I've used a Jiffy Greenhouse Kit to start my seeds. I've had great success using them getting a 90ish percent germination rate, I think. I haven't actually measured it but from what I remember almost every pellet has germinated. Setting it on top of the satellite receiver seems to work really well. :)

Good luck to all.

Couldn't agree with you more.... I am a firm believer in raised beds. Especially for people in the 'Northern Zones' with shorter growing seasons. Having raised bed allows you to plant earlier and harvest much later. Having them in raised beds helps promote healthy root systems with plenty of room to grow and has its advantages with draining heavy rains... My plants tend to do very well in the raised beds as my near neighbors plants don't seem to produce as much or look as healthy when planted directly in the ground. For the 'urban' gardener, IMHO, this is the way to go.

Here are a few picks of my raised bed me and my father built, along with a basket of veggies that seemed to be the norm every few days:
gallery_13416_1483_12969.jpg
gallery_13416_1483_2809.jpg

gallery_13416_1483_78815.jpg
Awesome set up. This is exactly what I would like to have mine end up like. What size did you make and what did you fill them with? Specifically did you put rock or stone on the bottom?

*edit for spelling

Larry- I hear what you are saying about the Ghost peppers. . . After reading up on it the other day when I was planting, I thought the same thing. I too wish I had started mine much earlier, but time will tell. I only had 6 seeds and am hoping for at least 2 good plants. Then again, I can't imagine I will be using too many of these ? :D Just curious, how was the production on your plants ? Nice job too on your success with the germination %. Thats half the battle as far as Im concerned.

DDawg- Thanks a bunch. The boards used were 2x10x10', that I cut into 5' lengths for the front and backs and about 4' for the sides. I stacked them two high. I really feel like having such a deep bed (20")for good soil development is crucial for healthy, and heavy producing plants. Not to mention, with taller beds, weeding and harvesting is much easier on the back which is a must for me. I did not use any rock but did till up the ground inside the raised beds before adding soil. With such a deep soil base, there was no need for rock drainage, however if you do much smaller beds (height wise) you may want to add a layer of big crusher stone. Also, I lined the inside with some heavy mil plastic to add a little extra protection to the wood from the moist soil. Soil - This is important not to skimp out on the product for filling these. I used a reputable local farm and asked for there "vegetable/garden mix". I used many yards to fill, (~5 I think) and the cost was roughly around ~$200.oo for it delivered and dumped. The many trips with the wheel barrel was a pain but well worth it. Starting with good soil is key, making adding nutrients(if hardly any) later less of a hassle. Every year before I plant (1-2 weeks prior) I will buy a bag of chicken sh*t and till it into the bed real good being sure to mix up all that break down from the fall & winter. It cost a little bit to make and get established, especially with the copper accents I "floated" in, soil, bolts, and such. However, the pay off of coming home from work and and seeing the Mrs. picking fresh eggplant for some Eggplant Parm... well, it's just PRICELESS! There no other feeling like knowing were your food is coming from and what/if any pesticides are being used. There is just something to be said about "fresh" food.

Here are some pics of the building process: (I also sealed the inside seems with caulk to help prevent insect/water invasion from the sides)
gallery_13416_1483_22220.jpg
gallery_13416_1483_27526.jpg

SIS, thank you for the additional photos and information on your raised beds. Very nice job. This has motiviated me to go to the local lumbar yard to get materials. Hopefully will turn out as well as yours.

It's seventy degrees here today and has me feeling its time to get this done.

Another benefit the raised beds will provide is less stooping and bending to plant/mantain/harvest

On the matter of chicken sh**, I have that one available, as I raise chickens as well :laugh:

DDawg- Thats great man! Im glad to hear others getting involved with the raised beds. Your not kidding about the bending over either. When my plants are producing, Im barely even bending over at all. It's nice seeing my pepper plants "chest high". Im envious that you have chicken! My father "Bayamos" and I were talking about a coop today. :laugh: We both always wanted to have "egg" chickens but know are talking about "meat" chickens. I have read that the birds only needs to develop about 7 to 8 weeks before harvest? Any pointers for a newbie on chickens ? Thanks brother...

Two things in this world money can't buy.

1 True love
2 HOME GROWN TOMATOES!!!!

Amen ! I love me some fried green tomates with a dash of hot sauce... MmmmmHmm !

SIS,
I would suggest having everything ready prior to bringing home your chicks. Brooding area, housing, feed and watering system etc.. Makes things a lot easier and less stressful on you.

There are different breeds of chickens available for egg production (which I do) and meat chickens.

I think the 7 to 8 weeks thing is a bit over zealouos, as it usually takes 6 to 8 weeks for them to fully feather so they can go outside.
Prior to full feathering they cannot handle the cold weather we may still get in our areas.

This is only my third year and am still learning.
I just obtained 12 additional pullets(females) from my local Tractor Supply store and they are in my mudroom under a heat lamp, where they will stay for about 4 weeks or so depending on weather.

If I can be of any help if you decide to go this route, let me know.

Dave

Snip: Just curious, how was the production on your plants ? Nice job too on your success with the germination %. Thats half the battle as far as I'm concerned.
Snip:

They actually produced pretty well. I'm guessing there were at least 30 or 40 peppers on the two plants that I had. They were at least 4 feet tall by the end of the season. I was only brave enough to put a part of a pepper in a small batch of chili. Turns out it wasn't that hot. Seems like I remember eating several small pieces of the cooked pepper and thinking that they weren't that hot either. I think that had everything to do with the growing conditions. Ghost Peppers like long, hot days. I found a copy of my receipt showing that I ordered the seeds on March 22nd so they probably didn't get started until sometime in April. We'll see what a month earlier start does.

Here's a seed starting tip to use once the seeds have germinated. I picked this up a few weeks ago at a gardening seminar. Using one of those dual bulb fluorescent fixtures with one new cool white bulb and one new warm white bulb, place the fixture 3" to 4" above your seedlings for 12 to 14 hours per day. Raise the fixture as needed. Replace the bulbs every two years (use them somewhere else if you can for regular lighting). This will help eliminate leggy seedlings.

I received my very first BOMB today ! I must say, it was the biggest surprise ever...I thought it was a MO or something? Then I saw a small packet at the bottom of the envelope.... "wtf ?" I thought it was one of those magic pills from the movie "Limitless". . . then it hit me, seeds! When my eyes focused and I realized they were the Bhut Jolokia, I fist pumped the air (NOT Jersey Shore style, R& Roll style) AWESOME! Thank you so much who ever sent me these. I have my suspicions! :whistling: To me, this is what CP is all about. I can find cigars anywhere... but the people you meet , friendships you build, and gestures such as this... for me, thats why I love this community. We share something here that many other forums don't. Thank you, much appreciated. . . :thumbs:

*edited for grammar

I'm growing this year:

Potatoes
Onions
Spinach
Head Lettuce
Jalapenos
Roma Tomato
Sunburst cherry tomato

Things I want to try:

Brussel Sprouts
Beans
Eggplant
Okra

Haven't made up my mind yet:

Squash
Zucchini
Bell Peppers

Those f'ing squash bugs piss me off. I did get a ton of squash/zucchini before they killed the plants, but oh well. Last year was brutal on my tomatoes. I grew a Cherokee Purple, Beefeater and 2 cherry tomatoes, but the 115 degree temperature screwed up my full sized tomatoes. I get excited every year for the start of gardening season. I'm trying to get my kids into it more this year. Last year I couldn't keep them from picking fresh spinach and eating it before we got it in the house.

Those f'ing squash bugs piss me off. I did get a ton of squash/zucchini before they killed the plants, but oh well. Last year was brutal on my tomatoes. I grew a Cherokee Purple, Beefeater and 2 cherry tomatoes, but the 115 degree temperature screwed up my full sized tomatoes. I get excited every year for the start of gardening season. I'm trying to get my kids into it more this year. Last year I couldn't keep them from picking fresh spinach and eating it before we got it in the house.

I hear that... last year i had 4 squash plants( 2 on each mound) and I hardly got any harvest from them ! I think it was a combination of not enough pollination with the bees, and those damn bugs. All mine would get about a middle finger size, then brown up and die off. Most of the plant started to brown up at the base and stalks. What a squishy mess. I try NOT to use pesticides on my plants at all, and try more natural methods of bug mite repellant such as Lady Bugs, but those squash beetles burrow, and once their in, their in ! Pisses me off too.... Skipping them this year, too much heart ache.

Nice to hear your kids taking a liking to the idea of gardening. Thats how I came to love it. Passed on through the generations and I am very thankful for that. When I was a kid, If I wanted some "ice-cream" or "hang out" money, my dad would tell me to weed the garden (pretty decent size) instead of cleaning my room or taking out the trash. I now know why he would do that. I began to enjoy it after some time and would do it as I got older just to help him out maintain it... My fondest memory was when he decided to skip every vegetable one year and planted all heirloom Garlic he purchased from various Garlic festivals in the fall. That following year we braided Garlic which seemed like for days ! So much fun and rewarding.

Tip I learned from a buddy of mine. If you'll notice, there are 2 distinct different flowers: 1 male and 1 female. The male flowers are at the end of the long skinny stalks, females are at the end of the actual fruit. If you'll take a small paint brush and manually pollinate, you'll get a better harvest. The female flowers are usually open early in the mornings. This is what I did last year and it helped out a ton.

Tip I learned from a buddy of mine. If you'll notice, there are 2 distinct different flowers: 1 male and 1 female. The male flowers are at the end of the long skinny stalks, females are at the end of the actual fruit. If you'll take a small paint brush and manually pollinate, you'll get a better harvest. The female flowers are usually open early in the mornings. This is what I did last year and it helped out a ton.

Thanks. I'm familiar with this technique, but the male flowers tend to only be open in the morning hrs and only for one day. Usually I am well on my way to work by then and pretty busy when I get home. I did that a couple times, and had some luck. Just don't have the patience for it....

Great advice and trick... :thumbs: