• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Getting Rid of that Cigar Aftertaste

slider9499

I came across this article and thought it might be helpful to all of us. If anyone has tried any of these suggestions I am sure the boards would be interested to hear if any of them work.

THAT CIGAR AFTERTASTE

Some cigars leave an aftertaste in the mouth that could last for a day or two. Our approach to this problem focuses on eliminating the aftertaste layer by layer.

No single product or procedure will completely remove the taste of a cigar. By using several steps to successively reduce the amount of cigar residue in the mouth, any remaining taste can be almost totally eliminated. Try a three-step approach:

Cut most of the taste with citric acid:

This is extremely important. There’s a reason why so many mouthwashes and other products have a lemon, lime or orange taste. It’s the citric acid, which overpowers everything else in the mouth.

It’s hardly fashionable to follow your cigar with Listerine, but there are excellent – and tasty – alternatives. Stay away from the weaker citrus drinks such as sodas and go for more acidic tonics. Orange juice is good, but my favorite is Bitter Lemon.

If lemon extract can cut through grease in the bathroom, imagine what it can do to your mouth! Many manufacturers make this drink, including Canada Dry, but the best – if you can find it – is Schweppes Bitter Lemon in the 10 oz. bottle, served chilled over rocks in an Old Fashioned glass. The combination of lemon juice and bitter quinine is both sour and refreshing and will cut 80-90% of the taste of anything that was in your mouth.

Give your mouth something else to chew on:

After giving your mouth some time to recover from the Bitter Lemon, give your mouth something else to worry about. A couple of options:

> Cereal. If you’re at home, this can be a tasty follow-up to the Bitter Lemon or other citric acid drink. Try a couple of handfuls of Rice Krispies straight – no milk – and see if your mouth doesn’t respond with some glee. Any of the Chex cereals – except Bran Chex – are also good and Grape Nuts is also excellent.

> Cheese. If you are smoking on the outdoor patio of a restaurant with some friends and enjoy your cigar after the entree, follow up with a citric beverage and then enjoy dessert. A great choice to chase the cigar taste from the mouth is some sharp, hard cheese. Ordering a cheese plate for dessert is quite an impressive way to end any meal.

Give your cigar the brush-off:

Once you have been “citric acidified” and cheesed up, you can get out the toothbrush and be sure to brush that tongue. By then you should be cigar taste-free . . . or too exhausted to worry about it anymore.

Alternatively, there is a product on the U.S. market called “Close Call” which debuted at the 2005 RTDA and uses a patented process which suspends copper sulfate in liquid. It has a light citrus taste and is reported to be safe to “swish and swallow.”

A couple of final thoughts:

> Remember that eliminating the taste in your mouth does nothing about the smell on your clothes and in your hair (if you have any). You’ll need to take separate precautions for this; remember that the silk smoking jacket was invented to keep the smell of cigars off of noblemen. Silk is relatively resistant to the smell of cigars compared with most other fabrics.

> After-dinner peppermints such as Altoids, or special cigar mints (the best known brand is Henry Clay) are strong and can be helpful. Just as effective can be hard candy sour balls or hot cinnamon balls.

Good luck!

The only aftertaste I get is the "finish" and I say....the longer the better! :D

Thanks for the tutorial,very nicely done.

To be honest the best way to get rid of cigar breath is with a big scoop of peanut butter.... then brush your teeth and voila all gone ;)

Those are pretty good suggestions. I generally just go straight for the tongue scraper, and the toothbrush... without toothpaste if I am going to smoke another cigar; I often try and eliminate background and after-tastes in between cigars, so I can taste it entirely. But the citric acid idea is a good one.

Nice article Ben!

Steve

I'll quote an earlier thread on the subject:

Eating pussy gets rid of cigar breath! :laugh:

I haven't personally tried that method, but if atuck says it works, I'll take his word for it! :D :laugh:

I'll quote an earlier thread on the subject:

Eating pussy gets rid of cigar breath! :laugh:

I haven't personally tried that method, but if atuck says it works, I'll take his word for it! :D :laugh:

Yep! It does work!
doglaughing.gif

Good ideas. I tend not to get an aftertase immediately, but in the morning I get a bit of a sore throat (more of a tingle I'd say actually) and a taste in my mouth like I've licked an ashtray :)

Dewar's, soda, twist (citric acid).

Smoke better cigars!

i almost always eat a bowl of ice cream before bed these days. and it always gets rid of the "morning after" taste.

My wife hates, and I mean HATES the cigar-breath. I have tried jsut about everyhting, and she can stillt ell if I have smoked a cigar within the past 6 hours or so.
I ordered some of that close-call and I will report to you all if it works when tested on her.

My wife hates, and I mean HATES the cigar-breath. I have tried jsut about everyhting, and she can stillt ell if I have smoked a cigar within the past 6 hours or so.
I ordered some of that close-call and I will report to you all if it works when tested on her.

Same here! I've started chewing "Extra Polar Ice" gum after smoking a cigar and this seems to do it. I've had no complaints recently.

Same here! I've started chewing "Extra Polar Ice" gum after smoking a cigar and this seems to do it. I've had no complaints recently.
That shit works wonders :thumbs:

Then again, my girl is kind of a flake, and I once told her that it was her and not me, and yet.. I got away with it. ???