• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glendronach 1995 Pedro Jimenez Single Cask 15 Year Old.

I don't know how Ray missed this one. :laugh:

glendronach_1995_15yo.jpg

Glendronach 15 Revival is my favorite Scotch in the world . . . one of those perfect confluences of the distiller's artistry and my own personal taste. It's a highly structured, beautifully sherried dram that simply happens to hit all the "Ooooh! Scotchy Scotchy Scotch!" buttons I look for in a single malt.

So when THIS considerably rarer bottling showed up on the shelf next to the Revival . . . well, I just had to, even though at $94 it was about $15 higher. This Glendronach went into a Pedro Jimenez sherry puncheon on March 31, 1995 and stayed there until July of 2010. I have bottle 418 of 642 from Cask 2045.

It's a beautiful color, both in the bottle and in the glass---the picture's accurate but doesn't do justice to how the light hits this dark amber, coppery red whisky.

The nose is primarily honey and figs, with a trace of citrus peel and some faintly floral notes. Mouthfeel is thick, oily, and bit tingly . . . it's non chill filtered and at 58% alcohol by volume, either cask strength or close to it. :love:

And the taste! Dense, heavy, with toasty almond and dark chocolate notes, dried fruits . . . but mostly, it just grabs you by the palate with an intensely sherried blast. The Revival is what I refer to as 'structured' by which I mean balanced and layered, with a clear separation of flavor notes. This is almost musclebound---like the Aberlour a'bunadh, but with more depth and complexity.

With a bit of spring water added, the florals open up in its nose, and the flavors uncoil a bit, with more fruit showing, and some honey tones. Finish is long, slightly oaky, sherried and fiery.

This is going to be a treasured bottle on my Scotch shelf, for sure. Lovely stuff.

~Boar

Nice review, Boar. I haven't had this or the Revival. I'll have to keep an eye out.

We have a local Texas mega-chain branch now, Spec's, that is incredible . . . supermarket sized liquor store with one side of an entire aisle devoted to Scotch and a very dedicated manager who's really come a long way since I started talking to him. ;)

I first tried the Revival through Ray's Scotch Buy, and raved about it to him. Now Glendronach's product line is part of his regular order. Same with Benriach, my other favorite distillery. Every time he gets something new in now, he makes sure to let me know . . . he knows that even if I don't buy it THAT day I'll probably be back for it! :rolleyes:

~Boar

I'm going to have to check my Spec's today and see if they have this. Good review.

Good to see a new review, good job Boar :thumbs: