• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Goodbye George

thechenman

No One of Consequence
A baseball icon passed away today...while he was a controversial figure, there is no doubt that the Yankees would not have acheived what they have in recent history without his passion and personality driving and dividing the team.

Never a Yankee fan. Never a fan of The Boss. Must respect what the man did, his commitment to excellence, and his longevity. Never liked how he did it, but thats probably because he wasn't doing it for my team. An Icon that will truly be missed by many.

A legend in his own right will be missed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admire the way he changed Yankee baseball forever.

RIP

I actually ran into him once in a NY hotel. Simply said hello and moved on. But I am not a fan and, while you have to admire his passion and commitment, I believe he did much to perpetuate the sharp division between the haves and have-nots in baseball, the neutering of the Office of Commissioner and the pricing of America's pastime beyond the middle class. He also participated heartily in the game of stadium extortion that sports franchise owners like to practice vis a vis their cities -- even though the Yankees are the richest franchise on the planet. None of that is good and it's part of the record.

As for changing Yankee baseball forever, well, they did win something like 18 or 19 championships before he darkened the door. Let's just keep things in perspective.