• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

GPS for my car

PuroEsq

The Member Formerly Known as "JAEwing"
I am going to be purchasing a portable GPS for the car. I have seen many brands out there but do not know that much about them. So of course I thouht I would tap the knowledge pool here.

I do not need the top-o-the-line version but also do not want a crappy bargain basement model either.

What features are essential and which ones are mere frosting that do little to improve the functionality of the GPS?

Any and all opinions are welcome.

- Jason

Garmin, Magellan and TomTom all make very good lower priced devices. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I have a Garmin and love it. There are some that can give you traffic updates, etc... but to me thats all bells and whistles that I don't truly need.

The basics I wanted with any GPS system was vocal and visual directions (where to turn), as well as having the actual street names given in the verbal directions (ie turn left on Main Street, versus "turn left in 200 meters or CR #1313).

Dirwood

I have a Garmin and love it. There are some that can give you traffic updates, etc... but to me thats all bells and whistles that I don't truly need.

The basics I wanted with any GPS system was vocal and visual directions (where to turn), as well as having the actual street names given in the verbal directions (ie turn left on Main Street, versus "turn left in 200 meters or CR #1313).

Dirwood

Which model do you have? I'm in the market myself and this sounds like what I'm looking for.

I worked at Garmin in the Customer Repair department for almost five years. They make a great product, and their customer support is excellent. The repairs are done right, and if they are not, you usually get a new unit for your troubles.

The Tom Tom One 3rd edition can be had for $142 at Wally World. I have this one and IMHO is better than the factory one installed in the Maxima!

Garmin Nuvi 350. A buddy of mine owns one, I tried his out for a while, loved it, so I bought one, too. Everything you need without all the bell$ and whistle$. With a little searching, you should be able to find it for ~$200.

The Tom Tom One 3rd edition can be had for $142 at Wally World. I have this one and IMHO is better than the factory one installed in the Maxima!

Does this unit give the street names as part of the turn-by-turn directions? I tried to look on their website, but I couldn't find that specific fact.

I have the Garmin Nuvi 350 and love it. Simple to use (my wife figured it out right out of the box) and it's small (a little longer than a pack of cigarettes and a little thinner). Also has an SD slot for pics/music. :thumbs:

I hope this helps

~Mark

I use one of the old Garmin Street Pilots, and greatly prefer it over my dad's new Garmin Nuvi. The old street pilots are easier to use the way you want (less idiot-proofing), and, as they have much simpler graphics, don't take forever to update the maps when you zoom, change direction, etc. You may find some inexpensive new-old stock or buy used and be happier than you would be with a new one.

I have the Garmin Nuvi 200 and it does a great job, doesn't have all the bells and whistles but enough to get the job done. I paid $129 locally..........I think it was Target but I'm not 100% sure.

Does this unit give the street names as part of the turn-by-turn directions? I tried to look on their website, but I couldn't find that specific fact.

Alan, I'll verify it when I get home tonight, but I think it does. The one in the Maxima doesn't :(

Alan, I'll verify it when I get home tonight, but I think it does. The one in the Maxima doesn't :(
I have a TomTom One XL, and it displays street names, but does not audibly announce them. I've been very happy with it though. I had a speaker problem on the one I bought, and TomTom replaced the unit at no cost.

I have used the Garmin Nuvi 350 and it was great. Announced streets by name. For the longest time this was the lowest model that had that feature. I am not sure if that is still the case or not, but Garmin.com lets you compare the features.

I have a Garmin Zumo 550 (goes by the name Giesella) which came with brackets for motorcycle handlebars but works fine with in the auto. I really didn't do any research as it was a gift, but I think it works just fine. However, it does have problems with pronouncing "road" after a word ending in "t". For instance "Lockett Road" sounds like "Locka Troad". The kids think it is cute and very entertaining.

Garmin Nuvi 350. A buddy of mine owns one, I tried his out for a while, loved it, so I bought one, too. Everything you need without all the bell$ and whistle$. With a little searching, you should be able to find it for ~$200.
this is what i have never get lost any more I got lost alot.

I really appreciate all the replies. Thanks to everyone.

One more question ...

Is there any particular brand or model I should absolutely stay away from in my choosing a GPS?

- Jason

I also have the Tom Tom One 3rd edition and I love it! It shows you the street names but only gives you a 'left or right' audible on the turns,no street names. I bought it for 139.95 last year on the black friday sale. I have seen it a couple times at Best Buy for the same price since then. Good Luck! :thumbs: