• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Guidance on a few bourbons

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
As I slowly learn to appreciate bourbon I am obviously paying more attention to what I drink. Prior to a few months ago, the only bourbon I ever drank was when I lost a bet or someone made a toast to a lost loved one. I am starting to see the other side of it :) @Acclaym recommended I watch "Neat" on Hulu and I did. It was fascinating!

The learning has opened up new levels of questions:
  1. The documentary, Neat, mentioned Heaven Hill bourbon in a favorable light and my experience with Heaven Hill was when I used to hunt rabbits with this old timer and he insisted we have a "cut of the harshness" at 6AM prior to heading out to breakfast before a full day of tramping for rabbits. The "cut of the harshness" was a slug of Heaven Hill which was something like $6 per gallon. Yet I see nicely stocked bourbon shelves containing a bottle of it? Is it rot-gut or is is a good value?
  2. This past weekend we had a little party at my cabin and a friend brought a bottle of Weller Special Reserve (their basic bourbon) and I really enjoyed it. I'm sure that, just like cigars, the company and the camaraderie, along with copious amounts of alcohol, can sometimes make a even a Gurkha cigar taste good......but........ at $22 Is Weller an inexpensive gem?
  3. Any other possible inexpensive gems?

There are probably others much more experienced than myself in the bourbon game but I do enjoy it and often! I don’t really get into the appearance,nose,taste,finish stuff. While I appreciate it, I’m more of a looks good, smells good, taste good, and it’s finished guy. Weller is a decent bourbon at that price. As far as Inexpensive bourbon goes Elijah Craig is my current go to, I drink it neat, Its smooth, obtainable and for the price I think it’s fantastic. When I started getting into bourbon I just bought a bottle or 2 a month, and gained some experience until I found flavor profiles I really enjoyed. Start with easy to find stuff. Give Buffalo Trace, Knob creek or your standard bottle of Makers Mark a try. Anything I didn’t enjoy got used for mixers. Enjoy the rabbit hole, there is so many good bourbons at a reasonable price. There’s also the option of buying smaller bottles for sampling. As for high end stuff, some bottles are tough to find and building relationships with the bourbon community and local liquor stores has served me well. Let me know how you make out. Oh and if you come across a bottle of Blantons buy one for yourself and me, I’ll gladly pay for both. 😁

Bourbon is hard to recommend "gems" because every geographic location is different. What I can get every day, you might have to do a lot of hunting for. But with that said, here is a quick list of things I enjoy when trying to stay thrifty and know it'll be on the shelf when I arrive at the store

Makers Mark
Markers Mark 46
Angels Envy
Buffalo Trace (A littler harder to find but buy 5 bottles when you see it and you'll always have it)
Knob Creek single Barrel
Anything by High West
Templeton Rye
Michters
Larceny (Not as good as the others)

If you want to get into the more rare stuff we certainly can. I'd recommend checking out This post for ideas also or read the Reviews Forum for more ideas.

As I slowly learn to appreciate bourbon I am obviously paying more attention to what I drink. Prior to a few months ago, the only bourbon I ever drank was when I lost a bet or someone made a toast to a lost loved one. I am starting to see the other side of it :) @Acclaym recommended I watch "Neat" on Hulu and I did. It was fascinating!

The learning has opened up new levels of questions:
  1. The documentary, Neat, mentioned Heaven Hill bourbon in a favorable light and my experience with Heaven Hill was when I used to hunt rabbits with this old timer and he insisted we have a "cut of the harshness" at 6AM prior to heading out to breakfast before a full day of tramping for rabbits. The "cut of the harshness" was a slug of Heaven Hill which was something like $6 per gallon. Yet I see nicely stocked bourbon shelves containing a bottle of it? Is it rot-gut or is is a good value?
  2. This past weekend we had a little party at my cabin and a friend brought a bottle of Weller Special Reserve (their basic bourbon) and I really enjoyed it. I'm sure that, just like cigars, the company and the camaraderie, along with copious amounts of alcohol, can sometimes make a even a Gurkha cigar taste good......but........ at $22 Is Weller an inexpensive gem?
  3. Any other possible inexpensive gems?
Just curious.

As far as #3 goes, for reasonably priced bourbons I'm fond of Woodford Reserve, Elijah Craig & 1792 Ridgemont Reserve. I liked Buffalo Trace when we could get it here but I haven't seen it on local shelves for quite some time.

Weller & Old Forrester are at the bottom range "how cheap is still drinkable without a mixer?" for me and I don't care for Maker's Mark at all.

~Boar

There are a few that fit this description but we don't like to talk about them. Just like a certain Padron vitola...

Old Grand Dad Bonded 100 proof
Old Grand Dad 114
Ancient Age 10 Star
Weller Antique

I think Heaven Hill is a good valve and I think Weller is an inexpensive gem.

@CigarStone
  1. Is it rot-gut or is a good value? Sounds like you're referring to the brand name Heaven Hill. In that case, Heaven Hill 4yr 86 proof is pretty terrible. Heaven Hill 7yr 100 proof is a perfect example of what happens when people talk about the hidden gems. It was redesigned and the price went up 150%. Heaven Hill bottles older, rarer bourbon and it is divine. Don't forget, Heaven Hill is a huge distillery and makes bourbon for other award-winning labels like Old Fitzgerald, Henry McKenna, Elijah Craig, Larceny, & many many more.
  2. at $22 Is Weller an inexpensive gem? I don't think special reserve is a gem. Antique and up the line is very good imo.

@CigarStone
  1. Is it rot-gut or is a good value? Sounds like you're referring to the brand name Heaven Hill. In that case, Heaven Hill 4yr 86 proof is pretty terrible. Heaven Hill 7yr 100 proof is a perfect example of what happens when people talk about the hidden gems. It was redesigned and the price went up 150%. Heaven Hill bottles older, rarer bourbon and it is divine. Don't forget, Heaven Hill is a huge distillery and makes bourbon for other award-winning labels like Old Fitzgerald, Henry McKenna, Elijah Craig, Larceny, & many many more.
  2. at $22 Is Weller an inexpensive gem? I don't think special reserve is a gem. Antique and up the line is very good imo.

1. Agree

2. "Gem"? I don't know if it's a gem, but it's certainly worth a $22 price tag. I keep WSR around as a daily drinker. I keep a decanter full and have about 5 bottles on the bench. It's good, it's easy, and it's priced correctly.

Does Weller special Reserve stack up to its other releases. - No. is it a great find at $22. In NYC - unheard of here prices start at $60-70 a bottle is it good - I liked it and at $22 I would like it even more

Does Weller special Reserve stack up to its other releases. - No. is it a great find at $22. In NYC - unheard of here prices start at $60-70 a bottle is it good - I liked it and at $22 I would like it even more
Secondary value is at 50 and has been there for a while if anyone is interested in that route.

Damn, maybe I need to go into business!
I’m telling ya. Weller 12 is what 50.00 a bottle IF you can find it? Perhaps less. (Idk never saw it on a shelf) Secondary market is up around 300 bones!

Ok, here’s a real newb question... is bourbon similar to wine in the respect that the better the wine, the better you feel the next morning? For example, I can drink 2 bottles of Merryvale Profile from 97 and feel great the next morning... however, if I drink a few glasses of the house wine at a restaurant, I have a headache after a few hours...

When it comes to bourbon, call me simple, but good old Maker's Mark seems to work fine at a price point that's very reasonable. For something with a little more oomph to it, good old Wild Turkey 101 is under rated, IMHO.

Bill, with wine, I believe the sulfate levels in less expensive wines can really play heck with your system. Any "brown" liquor has the possibility of less than wonderful morning results due to the amount of alcohol / sugar present. Before you turn in, you'd be surprised how much difference a big glass of club soda or even water makes in the AM.....but you knew that already..... :cool: