• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gun Case Humidor Build

JoeGibs

A while back I made a post calling you assholes, which I stand by, for being such a bad influence on me. I had been intending on building a large desktop humidor out of solid walnut. Then one day I walked into my guest bedroom and looked at my grandpa's gun case and had the lightbulb click on in my head that the gun case would be an excellent retrofit into a humidor.

Now, since this was my grandpa's gun case, and it holds a sentimental value, I spent a good bit of time planning how to build this without doing any damage so it could some day be taken apart and again be grandpa's gun case. All the pieces being installed are being secured with hot glue and notched legs to support everything from underneath the bottom shelf.

image1(2).jpeg

After moving the bolt actions down to the big boy safe, the inside got a good scrubbing with soap and water, and then wiped clean with rubbing alcohol. All the seams were sealed up with a food grade silicone. As per SmellySell's recommendation, I looked into what "luan" was, and found my local menards had the correct stuff. All surfaces were covered, and my supervisor Teddy was here to ensure things were being done to his standards.

image2.jpeg

Using some scraps of oak blocks, I attached the shelving mounts to the two side pieces and the back piece. Had to be careful shooting nails through the really soft 1/8" luan into solid oak. Small dabs of glue were used to ensure the pieces bonded.

image4.jpeg

In an effort to keep the hole as small as possible running electrical in, I bought an extension cord and cut one end off and ran it through a small hole. Helps knowing which wire is what when they're not color coded :) Wired it up to a outlet with a "handy box" and put a cover over it just to be safe. Testing the electrical over night, leaving the led light strip and the fans running to monitor temperature change. Slight increase in temperature with the full length of led at full brightness. Something to monitor.

image6.jpeg

image5.jpeg

Test fitting all of the shelving boards into place. All the pieces lined up almost perfectly. Impressive considering I was shit faced when I was measuring and mounting all of the oak pieces. Also installed a 3/4" strip along the back of the oak pieces to hide the led strip.

image7.jpeg

Once everything was test fit, I went ahead and applied hot glue to the back and held them in place while the glue cooled. I then put the notched legs into place and secured with more hot glue.

image8.jpeg

When I had been planning on my walnut humidor, I purchased these sheets of spanish cedar from a guy on facebook marketplace. Turns out they're the perfect size to use as the shelving pieces, just had to cut out the 3/4" notch to fit around the led strip piece.

image9.jpeg

Now I just need to get it conditioned, move my stock from my temporary tupperware, and keep adding to it!

image10.jpeg

image11.jpeg

Very nice!!! It sounds like the assholes here had some good advice. You did a great job.

Since you called us assholes, I hope the cat pissed in it while you weren't looking!

Just kidding, that is awesome! and I like the forethought you put into it!

But, you will soon outgrow it.:cool:

planning on doing beads. Cigarstone gave me a good write up on how to program them. I have two of the govee hygrometers, i'm going to keep one at the top and one at the bottom. I intentionally left gaps on all sides of the shelving pieces for air to circulate, and the fans should help with that. If humidity isn't reaching the top, routing slots into the shelving pieces is my backup plan

planning on doing beads. Cigarstone gave me a good write up on how to program them. I have two of the govee hygrometers, i'm going to keep one at the top and one at the bottom. I intentionally left gaps on all sides of the shelving pieces for air to circulate, and the fans should help with that. If humidity isn't reaching the top, routing slots into the shelving pieces is my backup plan
Once you have your beads properly conditioned, divvy them up among the different shelves.

Impressive and a great set of photos and how you did it. Any reason why you did not use Spanish cedar on the side walls? Enjoy it.

Sounds like it will be very similar to mine! 😂

Impressive and a great set of photos and how you did it. Any reason why you did not use Spanish cedar on the side walls? Enjoy it.
Cost

Luan is cheap and works great to help regulate humidity. Spanish cedar from the boxes is more than enough.

Cost

Luan is cheap and works great to help regulate humidity. Spanish cedar from the boxes is more than enough.

Correct. The cost to line that with spanish cedar would get a little more expensive than I was looking to spend on it. I'll be deconstructing any boxes I get as time goes on and wallpapering it to the walls like texastraveler did in his display case.

I'll have a newbie sampler coming my way soon thanks to Niko. I'm excited to see what shows up :)

Fantastic. Can't wait to see what the next few look like. 😉

Correct. The cost to line that with spanish cedar would get a little more expensive than I was looking to spend on it. I'll be deconstructing any boxes I get as time goes on and wallpapering it to the walls like texastraveler did in his display case.

I'll have a newbie sampler coming my way soon thanks to Niko. I'm excited to see what shows up :)
Too bad I just got rid of all my old boxes! Fuente cedar smells better than anyone else's boxes.

Unlike temperature, RH distributes very easily, you shouldn't have issues with different RH from top to bottom as long as there is some air being moved.

Too bad I just got rid of all my old boxes! Fuente cedar smells better than anyone else's boxes.

Unlike temperature, RH distributes very easily, you shouldn't have issues with different RH from top to bottom as long as there is some air being moved.

Hey, I resent that remark!

2FF8EBCB-3FC6-4D58-B60B-E79C4CBEBF64.jpeg

RH has been holding steady at 70% for over a week. Transferred my supply onto the top two shelves, keeping water and beads on the lower three to keep RH up, and will take away/add water as needed. Tonight I added a 2mm thick foam weather strip to the door to make sure it’s sealed up tight (before adding cigars) and the RH shot up right away. Must have had a noticeable leak around the door.

Looks good Joe!

Is it possible that your cigars were a touch higher RH than the cabinet?