• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H Upmann Magnum 50 EL 2005

Gonz

Ultra Runner
Stop reading right now if you're faint of heart and/or can't stand the sight of an accident.

OK, for those still with us, I present my review of an absolute disaster of epic proportions.  It's a long story, but the bottom line is valuable lesson was learned by all parties involved.
154.jpg

Nevertheless, I decided to have a go at it and see what happens.  As you can see in the pictures, this cigar was trash.  I don't even fricken know what happened to the bottom third of the wrapper, it's a damn miracle this thing hadn't simply exploded or unraveled completely.  A yard project, planting a bunch of hostas and ferns I picked up at a charity plant sale, seemed like the perfect way to enjoy this cigar.  I decided to light the cigar with one of my favorite matches.  Well, a wooden match is nothing special, but I like saving matches from special places I've been, then reminiscing about my experience there.  Park Hyatt Hotel in Tokyo has an amazing lounge at the very top with floor to ceiling glass windows overlooking all of Tokyo.  They have an amazing drink menu in their New York Bar and are very cigar friendly.  Just ask Bill Murray in Lost in Translation, this is where they filmed all his bar scenes with Scarlet, relaxing and enjoying cigars after his daily photoshoots.  (excuse my less-than-photogenic hands, covered in dirt from my yardwork)

164.jpg

155.jpg

Started off strong right from the beginning.  The cigar essentially held up a sign and said, "Hold on dude, I'm not fucking around".  I'm not very good at getting all detailed about flavor nuances, hints of this or that, whatever.  I can say at the least I could taste dark chocolate and a coffee type flavor.  Then again, I was having a coffee drink with it at first.  But this went along real nice with said coffee drink, I almost quick made another one before I just decided to go with something a little different.

159.jpg

The burn got a little off towards the end of the worst of the wrapper damage, but surprisingly it wasn't too bad.  Once I got past the damage, it evened out real nice and burned perfect the rest of the way.  The flavors and strength of the cigar seemed to stay consistent throughout.  I was hoping it would mellow out a bit and stop kicking my ass, but that never happened.

Here's my new pairing for this cigar.  You may say "unconventional" but I say screw you, I enjoy it!

163_1.jpg

Anyway, back to the cigar.  As I said burn stayed perfect the rest of the way, the flavor and intensity never let up, but that's certainly not to say I wasn't enjoying myself.  This was a great cigar. 

166.jpg

And that's just about all she wrote!  Overall a great cigar, a strong cigar and a consistent cigar.  It's a crying shame these can't be found anywhere anymore, I would love to have one without the damage to compare!  As it was it surprised me and surpassed my expectations.  So much in fact (or maybe it was the strength) that I ended up abandoning my planting and just sat down for the last third of this cigar to enjoy it.

So there you have it, my poor excuse for a cigar review!  Enjoy!

Bravo Maestro!  Thanks for the review.

Gonz said:

And that's just about all she wrote!  Overall a great cigar, a strong cigar and a consistent cigar.  It's a crying shame these can't be found anywhere anymore, I would love to have one without the damage to compare!  ........

BTW I know a guy who knows a guy who used to know a guy who might have another one if you are serious PM address.

way to make lemons from lemonade!

Nice review!