• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Has Anyone Recently Flown with Cigars?

BobbyRitz

You're Fired, Daddy.
I'm headed to San Diego on Friday to visit with some friends, play golf and take in the Ravens/Chargers game.

I want to bring cigars, but wasn't sure of the best way to go about it.

1) Could I simply carry my 30 count Cigar Caddy on the plane?

2) Should I put it in a bag that I plan to check?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Rob

I'm headed to San Diego on Friday to visit with some friends, play golf and take in the Ravens/Chargers game.

Rob

DO NOT CHECK IT.

Smokes sometimes go missing!

I take my caddy and if I have any 'special' smokes...I unband them and mark the cap(or just remember what they are).

Enjoy!

Carry on your Otter box. Don't take a nice lighter or cutter, as the rules seems to change regularly and uniformity of enforcing those rules seems to be nonexistent.

I fly all the time and do both. Put some in my carry on and pack some in my luggage. Never had a problem. I bring a cheap lighter in the appropriate container or buy a cheap throw away when I get to my destination.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the golf!

Thanks guys!

Gary, with respect to the "special" smokes, do they really know the difference? Well, other than the city of origin being plainly written on most bands! :laugh:

Taken them with me many times (carry on) and never had a problem. I have even just tossed otter boxes and boxes from Casa into a Casa shopping bag and carried them like that, they don't seem to care. The alternative is you could just express them to me and then drive up here and get them once you get into SD :thumbs:

Carry on! Never had a problem. Once I was asked to open up my otterbox. They looked at the cigars and said WOW your a big smoker..LOL!! Have a nice day!

Ditto... Carry on...

Take a dime with you to pry the lid off, I had my otterbox seal so tight I couldn't pry it loose.

I travel often, once a year we fly to Cape Town, that's 26 hours flying. I take them on the plane with me and / or put them in the hold. Don't worry about the bands, I have never had them look
inside but if they do, they are not the boogyman.

Brian

I'd suggest taking them in your carry on bag (inside of your travel humidor). Checked luggage is not pressurized like the passenger cabins are and cigars will require time to stabilize from that environment to taste right again.

As for those "special" cigars: I've carried those "carry on" several times with no problem. The only time I've had my OtterBox opened and inspected is when I made the careless mistake of not removing the metal tubes from some of them. The tubes, of course, caught their eye like a nuclear bomb when it passed through the x-ray machine. They stopped me, with me in dead sweat, and checked the contents - about 40 or so cigars and all of them "special". They opened up each tubo and ensured they only contained cigars. I was then let go without any further ado. Yes, they realized the provenance of all of the cigars. :whistling:

Ditto... Carry on...

Take a dime with you to pry the lid off, I had my otterbox seal so tight I couldn't pry it loose.

If yer a pussy that is.

I take mine 90 percent of the time with me, I fly about 4 days a week.

1. You can carry a "Soft Flame" lighter, e.g. a bic.
2. You can carry a cutter.

Both in your carry on baggage.

Marc just flew from Austin to KC w/ his otterbox in his carry-on and had no problems. He left the bands on the "special smokes."

Domestically, I always fly with my 10 count cigar caddy and cutter in my carry-on. I'll also pack a Bic lighter, but once in a while, that gets taken away. I've never taken the bands off and have never encountered any problems.

Rob

I agree with the group on this one. Never ever check your cigars. I just came back from a trip to the Dominican Republic with SACK from this forum. We had a boat load of cigars and I believe we all carried them on. Its just not worth the risk and I have never had the screeners even bat an eye lid about carrying the cigars. I would put any cutters in your checked luggage and even then take some cheaps ones that you don't mind losing. Nothing like your good stuff disappearing to ruin a trip.

Thanks for the great responses!

I'll carry my cigar caddy on and make sure I leave the tubos at home.

Raymond, I'll give you a call once I figure out our agenda.

I travel quite a bit and bic lighters are allowed now, no problem. Just make sure when you go through security and you're getting dressed for the second time that day you don't FORGET your case in the rush! Did it once, got lucky.

Enjoy San Diego, the weather is sunny and.......well, its sunny.

Been flying regularly, carry on the cigars with cutter. The forbidden cigars stay banded.....have even gifted some to a few knowledgeable security agents. I often throw a cheap torch in the checked baggage everything gets through OK. I rarely use the tranz-pack any more.