• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Having Surgery on September 15

stepthirteen

Either get busy living, or get busy dying
So I have had awful heartburn problems for years and I am having a surgery done known as-

Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication Procedure to Correct Acid Reflux (GERD)

A description is linked here-

Heartburn Surgery

I have already had the Esophageal Manometry and PH tests. The PH test showed that I have stomach acid in my esophagus more than 65% of a 24 hour period, and can cause cancer. Has anyone else had it or known someone who has? I would just like to know some experiences or feedback. Thanks :).

Jim

After contemplating this surgery with my doctor advising that it "does not always work, and you may develop difficulty swallowing food", I decided to follow his suggestion of drastically changing my diet as a last ditch to avoid this surgery.

Basically, I cut out all of the junk I was eating and used moderation when it came to my sweet tooth.

I've dropped close to sixty pounds and no longer take prescription Prilosec at all.

My linky!

Been on prescription Nexium for some time and it works very well for me.

But, like John said, for me losing 38 pounds and modifying my diet made the biggest difference of all.....:thumbs:

After contemplating this surgery with my doctor advising that it "does not always work, and you may develop difficulty swallowing food", I decided to follow his suggestion of drastically changing my diet as a last ditch to avoid this surgery.

Basically, I cut out all of the junk I was eating and used moderation when it came to my sweet tooth.

I've dropped close to sixty pounds and no longer take prescription Prilosec at all.

My linky!

Yep, I did all of these things. Changed my diet, no eating past a certain time, the usual things they ask of you before moving to surgery and still no relief :(. I have a hernia in my diaphram that is not helping the symptoms.

Thanks for sharing you experience John. I do not like several of the outcomes following surgery, but it seems I am going to deal with them with the hope of getting some relief.

Jim