• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help a beginner with her humidor

joltikintokyo

20220527_214015.jpg
Hi guys,
I bought this humidor a while back and I'd really like to get it working but I have received conflicting instructions on how to get it ready. Is it enough information to provide photos for someone to help figure out how to prepare it?

Attachments

• 20220527_214010.jpg
    20220527_214010.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 5
Throw it away and get Tupperware and a 69% boveda pack, That humidor will leak humidity and the tool in there is useless. Not being mean, just think you would save yourself a lot of headache doing Tupperware. A boveda pack will keep the humidity rock solid

X3 on the no wood, I have had quite a few beautiful Spanish cedar humidors including the one my wife got me for our anniversary.

In the end after many years of ups and downs of humidity battles I finally bought a plastic palace for my beloved stix.

Hard sided water proof coolers are supreme in the world of cigar storage.
Good luck!

Help? I would start by suggesting putting some clean sheets on the stained mattress.

Second, read read read the forums and use the search feature before posting noobie beginner questions - there are 22 years of documented questions and answers in the archive, but they do require a little effort to research.

The thing is, the wealth of information you stumble across as you search and read is the true value of this community.

I bought the food grade plastic box off Amazon, a cedar insert and a 65% boveda… as many have said… use that as your dry box:):)

So, first, good buy. Second, with anything plastic, especially coolers (or bins, totes, etc), what I do first is a baking soda cleaning and de-stinkification (it's a tech term). You should already have distilled water and start with a brand NEW box of Arm & Hammer. Generic works, but we're talking pennies in difference, so get A&H.

You're gonna simply add enough water to make a paste that you will apply to every millimeter of plastic. That's inside and out, lids, crevices, gaskets.. everything. Do it in your bathtub at night, apply a liberal coat, leave overnight, rinse with tepid water next morning. Use nothing harsh at all... baking soda, water, that's it.

Pat dry with papertowel.. towel or shammy is ok IF you're 100% certain it has no detergent or fabric softener smell to it. "Unscented" doesn't mean no scent, it just means they didn't add perfumes. Use new papertowel if possible.

I've had the stinkiest of new plastics rendered odorless (to the human shnoz) utilizing this method. It's cheap and highly effective.

Did you buy a hygrometer too while on Amazon (if you don't have one already)?

If you didn't, or are wondering what that is... it makes a great keyword in the forum search feature!

I bought the food grade plastic box off Amazon, a cedar insert and a 65% boveda… as many have said… use that as your dry box:):)

Damn spammer. I just spent 5 mins on that post too. Fucker.

View attachment 56033
Hi guys,
I bought this humidor a while back and I'd really like to get it working but I have received conflicting instructions on how to get it ready. Is it enough information to provide photos for someone to help figure out how to prepare it?

Don't ever rely on the built-in hygro either. They're laughable at best and dangerous at worst.

@joltikintokyo

Rosa, after seeing the cigars in your most recent photos, I want to ask what your current cigar storage situation looks like. What is your humidor? What RH% do you keep your cigars at? Do you currently have a digital hygrometer that you have salt tested? Reason I ask is that the cigars you have just posted appear MAJORLY dried out. At first I was thinking that the wrapper slicing was from you trying to slide the band off, but I'm not thinking that it is just from the bands sliding around due to circumference dehydration.

Don't be embarrassed if you are doing something wrong -- we all had to learn somehow. Ask good questions, and as MMM suggested, READ, READ, READ here on the forums. Most of what you will need to know for the basics can be found in the stickies, but as you dig deeper through searches you will find so much more information than you ever thought available. As for your humidor, I concur with the idea of getting a Tupperware or cooler, and some Boveda packs or beads from someplace like Heartfelt. Us the wooden desktop you just bought as a dry box (search that one out, too).

@joltikintokyo

Rosa, after seeing the cigars in your most recent photos, I want to ask what your current cigar storage situation looks like. What is your humidor? What RH% do you keep your cigars at? Do you currently have a digital hygrometer that you have salt tested? Reason I ask is that the cigars you have just posted appear MAJORLY dried out. At first I was thinking that the wrapper slicing was from you trying to slide the band off, but I'm not thinking that it is just from the bands sliding around due to circumference dehydration.

Don't be embarrassed if you are doing something wrong -- we all had to learn somehow. Ask good questions, and as MMM suggested, READ, READ, READ here on the forums. Most of what you will need to know for the basics can be found in the stickies, but as you dig deeper through searches you will find so much more information than you ever thought available. As for your humidor, I concur with the idea of getting a Tupperware or cooler, and some Boveda packs or beads from someplace like Heartfelt. Us the wooden desktop you just bought as a dry box (search that one out, too).
I am having troubles with my humidor. I tried seasoning it by putting a bowl of water in it overnight and then filling the humidifier with solution from a B&M but it didn't work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong

I am having troubles with my humidor. I tried seasoning it by putting a bowl of water in it overnight and then filling the humidifier with solution from a B&M but it didn't work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong
Distilled water or water?
You really should take the advice above and get a good sealing tupperware and a boveda pack.

Distilled water or water?
You really should take the advice above and get a good sealing tupperware and a boveda pack.
I put tap water in there.

What kind of Tupperware do you need for that and do you need anything else other than boveda and Tupperware? Like a hydrogemeter?