• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help me pick a cigar

Which cigar should I pick?

• Total voters

whylieineedacigar

Yolalatlpwry
Hello, my daughter was born on April 2015 and I want to get a few boxes of cigars to smoke on her birthday and on any other milestone she hits (graduations, marriage etc.).

My choices are a 50 cab of Partagas Lusitanias or 2 boxes of the Montecristo No. 2 but I welcome new suggestions. Which cigar you think will age better and why?

I contacted with a few vendors and they have the april box codes avaliable for both of these cigars, I would like to purchase them before they get harder to find.

Thank you for your help!

My daughter was born in April as well and I used the Por Larranaga Encantos.  Not a 2015 cigar, but a limited release for a special occasion.

oke&coke said:
My daughter was born in April as well and I used the Por Larranaga Encantos.  Not a 2015 cigar, but a limited release for a special occasion.

[SIZE=11pt]Congratulations on your daughter. I really enjoy those Encantos and have a couple of boxes myself but I'm really looking for a cigar that reflects the same age as my daughter (as close as possible). I'll be nice to smoke a 1 year old cigar when she's 1 and so on. Thank you for the suggestion[/SIZE]

Monte #2 sound awesome.

As a runner up, what about a Hemingway?

MichaelD said:
Monte #2 sound awesome.

As a runner up, what about a Hemingway?
Are you talking AF Hemingway?
Yes, the AF Hemingway "Work of Art" would be a nice homage to his baby girl.

Not sure those are in the same league as high end Cubans, or if they have the same pedigree for aging them a decade or more. Still a AF makes a lovely cigar.

Put me down for the Lusi's .
Even fairly young ones are smoking great and IMO their creamy flavor profile puts them ahead of the Monticristos in term of aging. Funny, just a few months ago I also wanted a special, special occasion smoke to celebrate milestones. Decided to pull the trigger on a Gran Reserva and it came down to the Monty #2 Gran Reserva or the Partagas Lusitanias Grand Reserva. Just in terms of what I currently enjoy and aging potential, I grabbed the Lusi's. Hope my choice pays off as well as yours. Hell, either way they'll be great sticks to enjoy as the years pass. Let us know what you went with.

MichaelD said:
Not sure those are in the same league as high end Cubans, or if they have the same pedigree for aging them a decade or more. Still a AF makes a lovely cigar.
My bad, didn't realize it was limited to Cubans.

My experience is limited to a couple of Monte #2's and a Behike.

ETA: I don't mean for that to sound snarky and hope it didn't come off that way.

99% of my experience is nonCuban, so I rarely think in terms of Cuban sticks.

A 50 cab of Lusi's would be hard to beat... Even the montys would not come close 20+ years from now...

The ESO ABR 15 boxes are beautiful...

Congrats!  I love Montes, but I have to agree with the Lucies... you need a big, special occasion cigar.

I prefer the montes young but an age Lusi is a beautiful thing. Esp out of a 50 cab.

IMHO the H. Upmann Sir Winston is the pinnacle of special occasion cigars. They're one of if not the best aging cigars out their.  That's my choice!

I think 50 Sir Winston's would break my bank in two or three... :)

I agree with others. The Monte's are great young, but I'd probably lean towards the Lusitanas for their capacity to age. I haven't had the pleasure of trying a Lusitana with more than 5 years on it, but even at that age it was just plain mind-blowing. Great for a special occasion.

I've got both in my wineador now and I certainly will attempt to save the Lusitanas longer.

After smoking an outstanding Lusitanias last night that Dave (thechenman) gifted me last year back, I pulled the trigger on the 50 cab Lusitanias and one box of No. 2s. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and votes!

bucfan444 said:
Put me down for the Lusi's .
Even fairly young ones are smoking great and IMO their creamy flavor profile puts them ahead of the Monticristos in term of aging. Funny, just a few months ago I also wanted a special, special occasion smoke to celebrate milestones. Decided to pull the trigger on a Gran Reserva and it came down to the Monty #2 Gran Reserva or the Partagas Lusitanias Grand Reserva. Just in terms of what I currently enjoy and aging potential, I grabbed the Lusi's. Hope my choice pays off as well as yours. Hell, either way they'll be great sticks to enjoy as the years pass. Let us know what you went with.
Thanks! The grand reservas sound amazing but 10 per box plus the price times 3 to 5 boxes, just ouch.

Scap said:

My bad, didn't realize it was limited to Cubans.

My experience is limited to a couple of Monte #2's and a Behike.

ETA: I don't mean for that to sound snarky and hope it didn't come off that way.

99% of my experience is nonCuban, so I rarely think in terms of Cuban sticks.

The recommendations are not limited to only Cubans.

CigSid said:
A 50 cab of Lusi's would be hard to beat... Even the montys would not come close 20+ years from now...

The ESO ABR 15 boxes are beautiful...
Bill, that's exactly the box code I ordered! It's funny because that ESO are the initials to her name!

mjolnir01 said:
Congrats!  I love Montes, but I have to agree with the Lucies... you need a big, special occasion cigar.
Thanks!

Backslide said:
IMHO the H. Upmann Sir Winston is the pinnacle of special occasion cigars. They're one of if not the best aging cigars out their.  That's my choice!
I thought about those Jason, but they are hard to find (specially with an April 15 box code)

oke&coke said:
How about the new Partagas Maduro #1?

I wanted something with a good track record. We still don't know how these Partagas Maduro will age as they haven't been in the market for that long.

You made a great choice with the Luci's buddy. I'm sure that you'll enjoy them for years.

I hate that the double coronas tend to be so well made and taste great. I could saw them in half, but that's sacraligous.

Well with the ESO code, it sounds as if it was meant to be Michael! Congrats!