• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hemingway Signatures....WTF???

SKYDIVNEKD

Call me "Walt Kowalski"
Ok, I have to vent. The last three or four Hemingway Signature Maduro's I've bought have been absolute shit. I don't say this lightly because I love AF cigars, but what has happened? They have all been plugged, or knotted up or super tight or something. I cut the top, lit them and they usually have a tight draw off the bat, due to the small foot opening. Then, once it clears that, all's good. NOPE!!! Hell, after the first one, I cut the foot off(about a 1/2 inch or so) and that still failed to fix it. I then rolled it in my fingers, trying to loosen the "knot" and that failed. PISSED! Out the window they went. I'll only buy Classics from this point forward, as I've not had that issue with them. Still pissed about the wasted money.

I can't return them because they are on the interstate, and it has snowed! On second thought, that may have softened them up!

**vent off*

Anyone have issues similar to this? Thanks for reading.

Floyd T

I haven't had that problem, thankfully because I love Hemingways. Get a prefect draw though, live saver. Did you dry box them?

The Perfecdraw is an absolute essential. I tried to find a substitute for it (cheaper) and there just doesn't seem to be one. The laser sharp barbs catch and extract the culprit and I have already been able to save enough cigars to pay for it. I got a box of RG Panatelas Extra with some nice age and every one was severely plugged and even though it is a 36 ring gauge I was able to "carefully" fix every cigar thus far.

As far as Hemingway, I have never had a plugged one. Were these B&M purchases or from a box purchase?

They were from a B&M. Three different ones, in fact. They were not overly humidified. I don't even know what "dry boxing" is, so nope, didn't dry box them. I have smoked Hemi's for a very long time, and these occurrences are so unusual that I thought it warranted talking about.

I have a couple of cigar pokers from someone who used to make them on here, I believe. It was back in the early 2000's, if my mind serves me correctly. They had the rough edges on them and work like a charm. With domestics, I've found it so rare to need one, I've packed them away. Apparently I'll have to make it part of my travel pack from now on. I will never buy another Signature, and if the Classic's ever have this issue, I'm not going to be happy.

Floyd T

***Edit : I tried to search back to 2000 and it stopped at 2009. When I get back home, I'll see if I can find mine. I'll post a pic if/when I do.***

Last edited:
They were from a B&M. Three different ones, in fact. They were not overly humidified. I don't even know what "dry boxing" is, so nope, didn't dry box them. I have smoked Hemi's for a very long time, and these occurrences are so unusual that I thought it warranted talking about.

I have a couple of cigar pokers from someone who used to make them on here, I believe. It was back in the early 2000's, if my mind serves me correctly. They had the rough edges on them and work like a charm. With domestics, I've found it so rare to need one, I've packed them away. Apparently I'll have to make it part of my travel pack from now on. I will never buy another Signature, and if the Classic's ever have this issue, I'm not going to be happy.

Floyd T
I wouldn't give up on Signatures, it is just too good of a line of cigars. It is possible that it was a one-off even if you bought them from different B&M's Think about the fact that cigars could possibly sit in the hold of a ship for quite some time where they are potentially exposed to temperature and RH extremes. And a pallet or two that were overexposed could make it to multiple B&M's.

Dry-boxing means to take a stick or two and let it rest in a cigar box which is NOT humidified for a few days. This will sometimes improve an overly packed stick. It can also provide a nice burn ratio between filler and wrapper.

I think I may have the same poker you mention because I think I bought them from someone on here. Mine were a set of two with a chisel point, a 90 degree bend, and nice wooden handle.
Poker.jpg

This was the last of the Sig’s I bought. I’ll say, it burned like they should. I didn’t have to touch it up the entire drive. This is exactly what I expect coming from AF.

I liken this to a divorce. After the divorce is final, and ya have sex with your ex, in her car before you leave the court house. It’s good sex, but you’re still divorced.

Sig’s are dead to me. In fact, I’m sitting in a seegar shop in OKC, and just picked up a box of Classics. The one I’m smoking is perfect. I’ll stick with buying the bigger size from here out.

Tone-NY, I’ll take ya up on your offer, as I’d love to trade with ya. Thanks.

Thanks fir the input, everyone. I’ll try the dry box idea, to see if I notice a difference.

That poker is different than the ones I’m talking about. Mine is a straight rod, with serrations, and is invaded in a wooden “holder. The guy made them into any style ya wanted. I’ll try to post pics when back home.

Floyd T

PS: The other Sig’s had “knots” in them that couldn’t be massaged out. One offs, I’m sure, but I’m too old and stubborn to smoke chit.

Attachments

• 227A827A-653E-408E-8B98-E59FFDE06582.jpeg
    227A827A-653E-408E-8B98-E59FFDE06582.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 14
  • 20CD594C-2935-4F10-AF83-A3CBA1A53A5B.jpeg
    20CD594C-2935-4F10-AF83-A3CBA1A53A5B.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 4CE70750-7567-4599-AE8C-1EB4247CAA09.jpeg
    4CE70750-7567-4599-AE8C-1EB4247CAA09.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 11
Nope. I've had the natural and Maduro. Let us know what you think of the sun grown. Enjoy!

Floyd T

Every day is a special occasion, smoke'em if you got them!
I know Tony and I have been told that so many times! Maybe I will grow up someday :) Here is the dilemma that bounces around in my analytical little brain. My best cigar experiences have been with BOTL's and so I save the good stuff for times I can share one with a brother or sister and I don't get enough of those any more. Maybe I could learn to talk to myself, answer myself, and have a cigar with myself? I hope I don't find out I am an asshat!:cool:

Every day is a special occasion, smoke'em if you got them!

Anthony, I have gotten to a point where this is so true. I did what CigarStone is talking about, for a long time. Now, there are only a couple things that I save for that "special" day. The rest goes whenever I feel it's time.

Unlike CS, I DO have several voices in my head, we DO talk frequently, and they have told me it's everyone else that is an asshat, NOT me!!! So, I have that going for me!

Floyd T