• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

History of the 5er

bluue13

So I'm just sitting here thinking as I'm prone to do from time to time...and I find myself wondering, why 5? What I mean is, why is 5 the traditional (or so it seems) number of sticks to send either for a sampler or bomb or for a sale? I know there are times where people sell, gift, or trade more or less than 5, but 5 sticks seems to be the common number. Any thoughts?

Seems like cigar bags from B&M's hold 5 cigars perfectly and those nifty Priority Mail boxes happen to hold 5 cigars wrapped in bubble packing just right.

Other than that, I have no clue.

It was explained to me by Infinity that the 5er breaks down as follows:

1- For you to smoke immediately.
1- For you to smoke a few weeks later if you liked the first one.
1- For you to smoke immediately after the second one, or to age it a few months and smoke it to see the taste change.
2- For you to gift to other BOTLs!

YMMV. :thumbs:

1- For you to smoke immediately after the second one, or to age it a few months and smoke it to see the taste change.

I really like that breakdown. Well put by Infinity.

Because that's how many fingers we have on one hand. *shrug*

Just don't ask me to explain the persistence of a dozen.

~Boar

Because that's how many fingers we have on one hand. *shrug*

Just don't ask me to explain the persistence of a dozen.

~Boar

Boar, you are unique !

I only have four fingers and an opposing thumb. :laugh:

Five-er sure rolls off the tongue better than four-er or three-er.

Now, two-fer . . . . . that's fine, but leaves you empty handed after sharing with a friend.

'da Kid

I feel like 5'ers give more flexibility over smaller ammounts without requiring a huge commitment.

1- Always try one within a reasonably short time of recieving them to determine if I like
them and/or they have aging potential.
1- If I am not sure if I like them or had burn/draw problems try it again to retest
1 or 2 - If they have age potential and taste good, then age them
1 or 2 - Share with other BOTL

I always figured it was because you could fit 5 into a five finger cigar bag.

Box split or GB, it's easier to split it into fivers.

I suppose it's too obvious for some of you geniuses, but has it ever occurred to any of you it's just simply easier to multiply by 5 to get a price than any other number but 10.

Doc.

I was told there would be no math!!!

This derives from the $1 cigar days, when for $5 you could get 5 cigars.

Now, in the 70's it was a five finger bag for $5.

To freebern $5 was a profit for his night out, after matt r took his cut!

Nothing wrong with any of those 5 ladies, Gary :thumbs:

I just thought it was easier to split a box of 25, by 5s.

I suppose it's too obvious for some of you geniuses, but has it ever occurred to any of you it's just simply easier to multiply by 5 to get a price than any other number but 10.

Doc.

You'd be surprised how many people can't do stuff like that in their heads anymore, since they started using calculators in math classes! :rolleyes:

Still, it goes back to my number of fingers per hand reasoning, one of them being technically called a thumb notwithstanding---opposability doesn't matter when you're counting! :laugh:

If we had thumbs on both sides of our hands we'd have a base-12 number system. ;)

~Boar

Math without a calcumalator?? That's unpossible! :sign:

The responses have been interesting to read, thanks guys!

Doc.

You'd be surprised how many people can't do stuff like that in their heads anymore, since they started using calculators in math classes! :rolleyes:

Still, it goes back to my number of fingers per hand reasoning, one of them being technically called a thumb notwithstanding---opposability doesn't matter when you're counting! :laugh:

If we had thumbs on both sides of our hands we'd have a base-12 number system. ;)

~Boar

Like This

Then how do you explain your math fugger? You take advice from the best there was then multiply by like 5.....

You are a vicious evil man!

OMG> That school house rock video has stained me forever. Good luck on sleeping tonight. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,,,,x,,,e,,,,,10 WTF!!!!!
Heads rolling around, beatniks singin'.....Reminds me of some shrooms.....But thats a different story.. lets just leave it at 5 cigars is a GOOD thing!
:D

Because 5 is the only even way to split up 25?

So which came first, the 5'er or the box of 25? the chicken or the egg? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

If the tootsie owl is eating a peach tootsie pop and you set him on fire, would you be smoking a peach owl???