• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How can I age this tin?

gunsandcigars88

When i first began smoking a pipe i picked up a tin of Davidoff English Mixture from a B&M. The shop was clearing out their pipe tobacco, and i bought several tins of various Tobaccos. This one seemed like it had some age on it. The lid is painted on, and doesn't have any year statement. What leaves me to believe it's well aged is that the paper is all extremely toned. Anyone here have some knowledge on how to get an age of this tin? There is a sticker on the back printed with ZZ 186? Not sure if that means anything.
B

I'd contact a vendor if nobody here can help. Or Davidoff direct.

I know JimD has a lot of knownledge when it comes to pipe tobacco - as he owned a shop for years.

Edit:
I spoke to Jim this am...he didn't know but said to conact Davidoff.

Not Davidoff specific, but it may help a little. http://www.loringpage.com/attpipes/tobdatepaper.html

I've also been told that whether the tin is marked "United Kingdom" or "U.K." or "EU" or "European Union" can help date the tin, too.

My Davidoff tins are all pretty recent, and they all have a painted lid. I do not have that particular blend, though.

I hadn't thought of contacting Davidoff, I'll have to give that a shot. I believe it says made in holland on it Alan. Though I would have to look at it again to be sure.
B

I looked at my Davidoff stock again last night. The oldest tin I have is from 2003. Painted lid, "Made in EU", "50 grs e Pipe Tobacco" on lid.

If your tin says "Made in Holland" I'd say you have a pretty good chance of possessing a 20 year old tin of tobacco at the least. Nice find!

Just got home and used the info in the site you linked. Between the "e" that is after 50g, the 50g being the only weight statement. That would suggest a good chance of being from 80's-90's. I will have to get in contact next week with davidoff and see if I can get to a much closer range. Of course the older the better. And this could really be a good find Alan since I bought all the tins for $5-$6 each.
B

When I spoke with jim he said the sealed cans don't really change...just that the blend will be as if it was from that time.

Anyone else familiar with this?

When I spoke with jim he said the sealed cans don't really change...just that the blend will be as if it was from that time.

Anyone else familiar with this?
I would say that's not entirely correct. The flat round and square tins that many EU producers use (including Davidoff) are vacuum sealed. The tobacco will not age as quickly in these tins, but it will still age. You need many years of age in these tins to get the same results that a few years will get you in the non vacuum sealed tins that many other blends come in (think Pease, C&D, McClelland pop tops).

So, if you're looking for the best aging potential in the shortest amount of time in the tin, look for the tins that aren't vacuum sealed.