• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How long does it take to increase Rh of the actual cigar?

Pipe Smoker

That might be a poorly worded question (search didn't turn anything up so  my terminology might be off). I started another thread because I found that the loose cigars in my cooler were a little dry, my hygro read between 58-62%. I'm still working on my storage issue, but I'm wondering how long it should take my cigars to get up the rh I want (around the 65-67% mark). For the last week or so I have had a glass of distilled water sitting in there and rh is holding pretty steady at 66%. Is it being too optomistic to expect them to be back in shape by the weekend?

A buddy of mine give me a box of sticks that were all pretty dry (his was running at 50% for a 3 months) and now they have been in my humidor for a month (running at 65%) and they are starting to come around but still aren't where I would want them.

Pipe Smoker said:

Have you tried smoking one?
 this guy x2

You guys think its worth giving a go already? I was worried it would just be a waste. Maybe I'm being a little pessimistic.

I know more than one guy that runs his humidor at 58%.  Heck yes, I'd try one....you may be surprised.

Gently squeeze the foot, how does it respond? Crackly and brittle, or does there seem to be any give?  From what you've described, I'd say your fine.  I keep my humidors at 65%, and still the cigars seem "wet".

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. Its not the Rh reading that concerned me, but that I did smoke one that I found to be too dry. That's why I was trying raise the rh back up. I haven't smoked any since trying to raise the rh. I was wondering how long it should take for the rh(?) of the cigar to catch up the rh of the box.

Rod, I love the new avatar.