• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How long to age Trinidad Reyes

pulse746

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a box of Trinidad Reyes, one of the best cigars I have ever smoked. It's a young box though with a date of May 2014. For the Trinidad smokers out there, how long should I age these before I start to smoke them? I know the general consensus is that these need age but I am not sure how much. I have very little experience with Cuban cigars.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12470]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12473]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12472]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12471]

Smoke one now, because you won't have anything to judge the aging process against.  Then smoke one every 6 months or so, you should be able to notice subtle changes.

Got an April 2014 box and smoked one a couple of weeks ago. The first quarter of it screamed potential with the greatest floral, creamy, lightly spicy flavors and then....nothing. Muted, bland flavor. Look forward to trying another late this year/early next to see how they progress. Will probably pick up an additional box just because of the binge I'll go on once they are in full bloom.

Each box is different but figure 3-4 years for its best.  But i would smoke one every six months to find a period you like and smoke the majority then.

From what I've read and heard, current Trinidad's are not good, you should avoid them unless hand picked or selected from a trusted vendor.

Hope you got lucky.

C

CMontoya79 said:
From what I've read and heard, current Trinidad's are not good, you should avoid them unless hand picked or selected from a trusted vendor.

Hope you got lucky.

C
That's not good news!! The last Reyes I had in June 2014 was fantastic and smoked it the day I bought it from the retailer. Can't imagine it was that old. Hopefully this box is the same.

Retailers can have old sticks sometimes. Worse case, smoke them for what they are and not looking to compare them to that 1 great stick you had. It's usually never recommended to get a box after 1 great example. Anytime your looking to pick up a box it should be because it's recommended by staff at your trusted shop, recommended by fellow BOTL at CP, or from a trusted vendor who knows his/her stock well and doesn't ship crap.

Happy smoking,

C

IMHO there's nothing wrong with current Reyes, In fact I've enjoyed 13-14 more than 08-10. 2012 was the best year (currently) for em though. Unless you've smoked threw multiple box codes each year, it's not a good idea to pull the not good card. I do agree with hand picked statement. Only a fool buys blind. 

I personally don't care for my Reyes to age past 3-4 years. 

CMontoya79 said:
Retailers can have old sticks sometimes. Worse case, smoke them for what they are and not looking to compare them to that 1 great stick you had. It's usually never recommended to get a box after 1 great example. Anytime your looking to pick up a box it should be because it's recommended by staff at your trusted shop, recommended by fellow BOTL at CP, or from a trusted vendor who knows his/her stock well and doesn't ship crap.

Happy smoking,

C
I made a rookie mistake and am hoping to replicate that one great experience I had. :laugh:

I'd recommend a year on them.  And agreed, try one every 4-6 months.

I just bought 2 boxes in December, box-coded APU DIC-13.  First one I had after 2 weeks was not very good, the second one I had on Tuesday was awesome.  Same box.

I guess I never buy cigars with the intent to age. I usually buy what I'd like to smoke now. When I come upon something that doesn't trip my trigger, it's comrades end up getting looked over for a bit. So I end up with a mix of aged cigars that I don't expect much from, and then another group of nice sticks that I won't smoke unless it's a special occasion. This leads to lots of surprises. I've had aged anejo/pardon/tatuaje that let me down. Then I have random cigars I gave up on really amaze me.

Anyways, if they're smoking good now... Smoke them now! I promise... They'll make more.

Backslide said:
IMHO there's nothing wrong with current Reyes, In fact I've enjoyed 13-14 more than 08-10. 2012 was the best year (currently) for em though. Unless you've smoked threw multiple box codes each year, it's not a good idea to pull the not good card. I do agree with hand picked statement. Only a fool buys blind. 

I personally don't care for my Reyes to age past 3-4 years. 

And you know how to enjoy a cigar...

NpAcNU0.jpg

I agree with the 2012 statement. 2013 & 2014 are still good though. If you don't like it now give it a few months and revisit.

I remember when I bought my first box of Trinidad cigars. It was actually in Pinar del Rio, Cuban, at the Francisco Donatien cigar factory. I had just visited the entire factory, bout a box of Coloniales and a box of Fundadores..... Opened the box just to check for mold, etc.... All good, in my car they went.

Arriving back at the hotel in Varadero, a goo 4 1/2 hour drive from Pinar del Rio, I open the boxes again and inspect more carefully, take a good smell.....AWFUL! Ammonia extravaganza! I was so disapointed! I came back to Canada, put the sticks in my humi, and forgot abou them for more than 2 years..... One day I opened the box, and it was heavenly!

These cigars need to be smoked within the first 2-3 days of being rolled (I bought one from a torcedor in the factory and smoked it in the car....awesome) or at least 2-3 years later.....more if you can!

Just my opinion.....

Gianni

Also, don't forget these are made from a plant. No matter what anybody online says, expert or not, they've probably not sucked on the same plant as you. Every plant is different, every year is different, and everybody's taste is different. The power of suggestion is great. The only opinion that matters is yours.

CMontoya79 said:
Hope you got lucky.
C
Not to be a negative nancy but this years batch of Trins have been spotty from a quality perspective but there have been good lots as well. Hard to tell from your pictures. But as long as you are getting good aroma when opening the cabinet and the construction looks good you should be all set.

Peterk814 said:
Hope you got lucky.
C
Not to be a negative nancy but this years batch of Trins have been spotty from a quality perspective but there have been good lots as well. Hard to tell from your pictures. But as long as you are getting good aroma when opening the cabinet and the construction looks good you should be all set.
Only spotty if you buy blind...[emoji6]