• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How Many Traditional Archers Are Here?

gunsandcigars88

I have owned a few compound bows over the years, and have always loved archery. As times go on things become too complicated and advanced. My last bow was an '08 Matthews Drenalin. This bow shot insanely fast with only 1" of drop at from 20 to 40 yards. As long as I was within 60 yards a good shot was hardly a challenge. So I have always wanted to hunt a little more traditionally and the time has come. Two challenges I have always wanted to do. Hunting with a recurve bow, and hunting with a Kentucky Long Rifle style muzzleloader(smooth bore with loaded with a traditional lead ball). After starting the new job it was a reality that I could get the recurve that I have been wanting. I ordered a Bob Lee Hunter Pro handmade recurve. 60" bow with a draw weight of 55# at 29". I actually draw at 31" so the draw weight will be about 58# I beleive. I have been waiting about three weeks and got the news yesterday that it had shipped and should arrive today or tomorrow.I chose to go with Gold Tip Ted Nugent series arrows. I just thought I would see if there were any other archers around here who shot recurves? If so sound off with bow/how long you've shot/Arrows/etc.After it comes in I will have to get some pics up.
B

I'm like you.
A compound bowhunter shooting a PSE Baby-G.

Always wanted to pick up the recurve bow and learn how to instinct shoot. Too many other hobbies, not enough time and money though.

Bought a Jennings crossbow about five years ago, but did not like it at all. Cablea's let me return it for a credit and I ended up getting a commercial grade meat grinder. If I could do it all over again, I'd have gotten into the recurve then when I had the time.

My grandfather built me a recurve bow for my 13th birthday. I still shoot it. I shoot off the shelf, no sight, and I'm sure I use some sort of "method," but I don't know the name. I just shoot it how I was taught.

I also shoot an English longbow now and again. That's a very different experience.

I don't hunt anymore, but that recurve has taken it's share of deer and small critters with blunts.

We got TheBoy(c) a bow for his birthday. He hasn't shot it yet (too much snow), but he gets it out and admires it every few days. It's just a little kids bow, but there are no wheels on it and any bow he'll have until he buys his own won't have wheels, either.

I use wooden arrows with brass tips that an old timer up here makes for me when I need them. I'm pretty excited to get out and shoot with my son once the snow is gone and our shooting area dries out a bit.

I'm just getting into trad archery. I have some friends who are into it in a big way with self bows, cane arrows with self-knapped arrow heads. I own some property in South GA and they come down a couple of years to hunt wild hogs. Last year, they gave me (2) self bows, homemade arrows and a couple of quivers. The first self bow was just too much for me: 70 lbs at 28 inch draw. The last one given to me is an osage orange, bamboo backed bow at 55 lbs. at 28 inch draw. It is more manageable and shoots quite well. I still don't have the confidence in it to hunt yet but am working on it.

My first bow was a bear white knight take-down which I traded up for an earlier version of one of these...

yamaha88.jpg
called a YTSL II

and shot JOAD from the age of 7 to 18.

I also had a old black widow 65 pound recurve I used for hunting and NFAA competition.

I now only have a sweet bow-tec compound, but if I had a choice I'd rather be shooting a recurve again.

Still have my first bow. Bought it when I was 15. It's a Bear Black Bear 60' 45# recurve that shoots 2116 arrows. Shot regularly for years. In addition to a traditional target I would practice shooting empty Pringles cans set on the ground. Never used sights.

I dug my bow out of the closet when I bought my son his first bow for Christmas. He hasn't shot it yet and isn't really showing much interest. :(

I have owned a few compound bows over the years, and have always loved archery. As times go on things become too complicated and advanced. My last bow was an '08 Matthews Drenalin. This bow shot insanely fast with only 1" of drop at from 20 to 40 yards. As long as I was within 60 yards a good shot was hardly a challenge. So I have always wanted to hunt a little more traditionally and the time has come. Two challenges I have always wanted to do. Hunting with a recurve bow, and hunting with a Kentucky Long Rifle style muzzleloader(smooth bore with loaded with a traditional lead ball). After starting the new job it was a reality that I could get the recurve that I have been wanting. I ordered a Bob Lee Hunter Pro handmade recurve. 60" bow with a draw weight of 55# at 29". I actually draw at 31" so the draw weight will be about 58# I beleive. I have been waiting about three weeks and got the news yesterday that it had shipped and should arrive today or tomorrow.I chose to go with Gold Tip Ted Nugent series arrows. I just thought I would see if there were any other archers around here who shot recurves? If so sound off with bow/how long you've shot/Arrows/etc.After it comes in I will have to get some pics up.
B

What you want is a musket, not a rifle. Replica Brown Besses are nice.

Doc.

I shot a recurve as a youngster.
I could swear I shot better with it that with a compound. I've always wondered why, but haven't shot in thirty years now.
I've actually considered getting a couple of decent recurve bows of some sort, since my boy is getting old enough to start.

As far as black powder weapons go, that is something that I have been Actively seeking. I want to build it, and get a beautiful stock going with a lot of care put into the finish. Still looking, with any recommendations welcomed.

I'm glad to see some other archers here. Alan, I have considered getting a longbow next. Was looking at some of the ones that Timberhawk Bows makes. Doc, yes a musket is what I am wanting to get. Though that investment will be down the road a ways. The shop just called, my bow is in!!! Off I go to pick it up.
B

I used to shoot a lot of recurves and traditional style bows. I haven't shot any in years but it was something I really liked to do and have been thinking about picking it up again. I too felt that I could shoot a recurve better than a compound. Once you get used to no sights and instinctive shooting you can shoot faster than having to aim. Practicing at different distances etc.. and you just get a feel of where to point the arrow.

I am thinking about picking up a bow from these guys:

http://rudderbows.com/

Maybe this thread will motivate me to finally go ahead and order one up, possibly the bamboo backed hickory.