• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo de Monterrey Lusitania

BobbyRitz

You're Fired, Daddy.
I haven't been smoking much lately, so I thought I would bring the new year with an interesting cigar. Tonight's cigar - the Hoyo de Monterrey Lusitania from the 2003 book. The book consisted of 20 Hoyo Lusitanias which were fashioned after the "old" Lusitania, meaning these cigars were vitola 109s.

Pre-light - This 109 was a beautiful cigar with a wonderful chocolate wrapper. It was very oily and had few veins. The signature 109 marble head had been meticulously applied. Pre-light draw was slightly loose for my taste, but the flavor of dried tea leaves and spice were noticeably present. This cigar was light in weight and the foot was stocked with well-bunched tobacco.

IMG_6227.jpg

I lit the cigar with two matches and she immediately came to life. The first third consisted of a myriad of flavors...first toffee with hints of gingerbread to dry spices with a soft cedar finish. It settled masterfully and exhibited incredible balance and richness. The smoke was creamy in texture and had a very soft feel when inhaled. The burn was thick, but even and I didn't have to relight this cigar once.

IMG_6229.jpg

The ash was solid and a dark gray and white mix.

IMG_6230.jpg

The penultimate third was similar to the first, but it became quite creamy with a pronounced "sweet" finish. I'm really into this cigar.

IMG_6231.jpg

The final third was amazing. The overall spiciness picks up dramatically, making nasal exhalation difficult. A slight floral undertone that was picked up in the second third became slightly more defined in this, the final third. This third was akin to a musical crescendo. All of the aforementioned flavors were present and a few I hadn't picked up previously were present in abundance. The spicy flavors became more defined with ginger and licorice intermittently present.

I nubbed this one...

IMG_6233.jpg

What a great review w/pics! I love an HDM. How long did it take to nub it?

Great review, Rob. Sounds like an incredible smoke. Thanks for sharing with us.

Nice review, bro! It does look like an easy cigar to get "into". :p