• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hygrometer Question

dav1041

Andy Sipowicz
I have two digital Hygrometers in my coolidor. One Oregon Scientific (wireless sensor) and one humiGAUGE™ 'Perfecto' Cigar-Shaped Hygrometer. I was going to place one on the bottom and one towards the lid of the coolidor. I salt tested both, the Oregon Scientific was 73%/74% and the humiGAUGE™ was 74%/75%.

Now my question, I have noticed a big difference between the two about 6%-7%, so I put both right next to each other and let them sit for a few days on top and a few days on the bottom.

No, really, now my question... :D Both together, on Top and Bottom, the Oregon Scientific reads about 61%-62% and the humiGAUGE™ reads 66%-67%. So, if I go by the Oregon Scientific I'm at about 63% and if I go by the humiGAUGE™ I'm at about 67%, Which is it?

Am I thinking too hard about this, it kind of seems like a big difference?

By the way, I have 65% beads in the coolidor.

dav1041 said:
I have two digital Hygrometers in my coolidor. One Oregon Scientific (wireless sensor) and one humiGAUGE™ 'Perfecto' Cigar-Shaped Hygrometer. I was going to place one on the bottom and one towards the lid of the coolidor. I salt tested both, the Oregon Scientific was 73%/74% and the humiGAUGE™ was 74%/75%.

Now my question, I have noticed a big difference between the two about 6%-7%, so I put both right next to each other and let them sit for a few days on top and a few days on the bottom.

No, really, now my question... :D Both together, on Top and Bottom, the Oregon Scientific reads about 61%-62% and the humiGAUGE™ reads 66%-67%. So, if I go by the Oregon Scientific I'm at about 63% and if I go by the humiGAUGE™ I'm at about 67%, Which is it?

[snapback]250042[/snapback]​

I have the humiGAUGE and I spoke to the manufacturer about the erratic measurements I was getting. He told me that because your humidor is mainly stagnant air, the "blowhole" will not always pick up exact rH because air is not moving in and out of it with any velocity. I still think it's a fine product but I would use it as a guideline more than anything else. I would consider the Oregon Scientific a bit more accurate (that's just my opinion).

All in all I wouldn't sweat the small difference, I doubt your smokes will.

I'm surprised the salt test worked out that they were smilar and in real life you find they are not. Stagnant air makes sense but if you leave it there 2 days undisturbed I'm be surprised if you didnt reach equilibrium. In any case, I use the hygrometer mainly as a way of determining when to recharge the beads. You see both drop a point or two its time. Relax, have a homebrew.

time to experiment! :D out of curiosiy, take a small amount of dry 65% beads and add them next to hygo's in a jar. im curious to see if they change from white to clear (meaning RH is above 65). it may take a while, but your cigars are definately not suffering any.

How long did you salt test them? I usually like to leave them in the bag for about 32 hours at the very least, with enough air in the bag to not taint the results of either hygrometer.

I'd be interested to know (if you do another salt test) how things turn out. I use 3 Oregon Scientifics and they are all calibrated to 75% perfectly. Makes managing the humidity levels much easier.

Darren

In my desk humi I have a cigar oasis humidifier, a digital and analog hygrometers. The digital is attached to the lid, the analog is through a hole in the front, about mid-level, just below the tray.
Both hygrometers were checked using the salt method, both were gnats a$$ believe it or not.
The digital in the lid shows 70% - 71%. The analog is usually several points 5%-7% lower. If I remove the tray the two hygrometers will agree.
Even with the fan in the cigar oasis it appears that there is stagnation.

Funny thing is, in my collidor I have a similar arrangment, only beads instead of the cigar oasis, and the two hygrometers will generally be within 2%-3%. Just exactly opposite of what one would expect...

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm....

edit for clarification

PTownshend said:
How long did you salt test them? I usually like to leave them in the bag for about 32 hours at the very least, with enough air in the bag to not taint the results of either hygrometer.

I'd be interested to know (if you do another salt test) how things turn out. I use 3 Oregon Scientifics and they are all calibrated to 75% perfectly. Makes managing the humidity levels much easier.

Darren
[snapback]250110[/snapback]​

Atleast 24 hours, but probably closer to 32. Funny thing is I noticed that they both were right on the money, 75%, after about 8 hours, then started to drop off after, finally staying steady--Oregon at 73% and the other at 74%.

smallg said:
dav1041 said:
I have two digital Hygrometers in my coolidor.  One Oregon Scientific (wireless sensor) and one humiGAUGE™ 'Perfecto' Cigar-Shaped Hygrometer.  I was going to place one on the bottom and one towards the lid of the coolidor.  I salt tested both, the Oregon Scientific was 73%/74% and the humiGAUGE™ was 74%/75%.

No, really, now my question... :D Both together, on Top and Bottom, the Oregon Scientific reads about 61%-62% and the humiGAUGE™ reads 66%-67%.  So, if I go by the Oregon Scientific I'm at about 63% and if I go by the humiGAUGE™ I'm at about 67%, Which is it?

[snapback]250042[/snapback]​

I have the humiGAUGE and I spoke to the manufacturer about the erratic measurements I was getting. He told me that because your humidor is mainly stagnant air, the "blowhole" will not always pick up exact rH because air is not moving in and out of it with any velocity. I still think it's a fine product but I would use it as a guideline more than anything else. I would consider the Oregon Scientific a bit more accurate (that's just my opinion).

All in all I wouldn't sweat the small difference, I doubt your smokes will.
[snapback]250050[/snapback]​

Very interesting, and good to know! I was thinking the Oregon Scientific was probably a bit more accurate as well. But, the humiGAUGE was pretty steady and didn't jump around, so it just made me wonder.

In my best "Star Wars" voice.........

......Luke, trust the beads........

LMAO @ viper :laugh:

Just get beads, no need to worry about unreliable humidifiers or whacky hygrometers ever again.