• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hygrometer Question

ricmac25

Token Cuban Guy
I have a problem. Yesterday I bought a new digital hygrometer. When placed in the same humidor as my slightly older digital hygrometer, they come out with drastically different readings. Off by like 9%.

I tried the salt calibration thing in a baggie and the new one had 76% and the old one had 67%. I tired them both in my collidor, new = 75%; old = 65%

I have 70% climmax beads in the coolidor.

I am now going to throw them in a cigar jar with some climmax beads over night to see which is closer to 70%.

Any other recommendations?

I'm in the same boat. None of my Hygrometers are acurate. Mine all seem about 5% off as well. I tested mine with the salt and even threw in a test kit from vern one time while ordering some other stuff. The three I use most all seem 5 over and my others all seem 5 under. It seems totally unnecesary to have electronic instruments so far off and inacurate.

If anyone knows a really good brand, I'm all ears. In the mean time I use the 5 over ones in my desktops so I dont have to note the correction amount for each one individually. It is wild to have two side by side and have a difference of 10%.

ricmac25 said:
Yesterday I bought a new digital hygrometer.  When placed in the same humidor as............

I tried the salt calibration thing in a baggie........

I tired them both in my collidor..........

Any other recommendations?
If you tried getting an accurate reading on three different test within one day its no wonder your readings all all over the board. You said you just bought this hygro yesterday?

Take the Hygro and do the salt test CORRECTLY. ;)

1) put salt in a bottle cap or very small container
2) dampen the salt slightly
3) put the bottle cap/container with salt and the hygrometer into a ziplock bag. Put all of this in another ziplock bag. A very good sealed glass jar can be used instead of the ziplock bags.
4) Make sure everything is sealed completely and let sit for at least 8 hours. This means do not touch it or move it or even breath on it...LOL! If you can put this in an out of the way place, all the better. I personally think 8 hours is too short of a time. I leave mine for 24 hours. The reading should be exactly 75. If not, that is what your hygro is off by.

Any test you do in coolers or humidors are only as good as the enviroment of the test. If you open a cooler to get a reading you have essentially started the test over. The hardest part is to leave the damn thing alone. LOL We've all been there... trust me.

They do make hygrometers that are extremely accurate but you wouldn't want to pay the price...... :0 Lets just say you'll be able to buy a lot more cigars continueing to do the salt test. LOL!

thanks for the info Kenny!
i've wanted to know how close mine is, but never
knew how to test it. i'll do it before i go to bed tonight
so i can make sure i don't monkey with it! :p

l8er

todd

OK I will let it sit with the salt thing for 24 hours and see where that goes.

Thanks allofus123.

Great advice by Bruddah Kenny! I check my hygrometers annually by using the salt test and the minimum time I keep the hygros in the airtight container with the salt is 24 hours. My wife has some pretty big Tupperware containers with see-thru lids and it's perfect for doing the salt test. Just to be extra safe... I use Saran wrap on the seals to ensure an airtight environment!

Aloha,

Wade

IMO you can't beat the VMR pen hydrometers, pre stested and % off marked on the pen. Shipped with the certificate.
Click here
ExtechPen is also good, a bit higher.
Second choice

Still do the test mentioned above when you get it, as temp at the time of the test affects the result. (don't put it in the sun or the icebox) :D

I just bought a digital hydrometer a few days ago and its directions indicated that a salt test should not be performed on it. It is supposed to be pre-calibrated to within 2% (i think). But, it read two or three times DO NOT do a salt test. Maybe that is only true with this particular digital hydrometer.

blair said:
I just bought a digital hydrometer a few days ago and its directions indicated that a salt test should not be performed on it. It is supposed to be pre-calibrated to within 2% (i think). But, it read two or three times DO NOT do a salt test. Maybe that is only true with this particular digital hydrometer.
Blair,

Even if it is pre-calibrated I'd still do the salt test on it. It seems weird that the manufacturer would state not to do it. I would do it just to verify the calibration and to ensure that it is accurate or at least very close.

But... if you're using the hygrometer and your cigars feel and smoke the way you like them then that's all that matters as it's a personal preference for each cigar lover. If you've read the other thread.... the RH preferred by CPers will range from 62% to 70%... it's all a matter of personal preference. I have friends who don't use a hygrometer at all... they just use "feel" as their guide and when gifted a cigar by them the cigars are always great!

Aloha,

Wade

Also, FWIW Ron Capurso, [active CF'r] has an excellent 'set up' for determining a Hygros accuracy and loves to be asked for assitance ;)

RCap855141@Aol.com

And also, I do agree that taste and feel are the true judge and Hygrometers are merely a guide.